This is unreal

F

flutterbee

A man forced to pay $12,000 in child support for a child that wasn't his, jailed for 2 years, denied paternity testing and all because of mistaken identity. And now the judge says he's not entitled to compensation???

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28080381/

trinityroyal

I read about this.
The world has turned upside down.

I won't say anymore, because I don't want this to get political, but SHEESH!

susiestar

Roll With It
This is totally crazy. So BOTH men were paying child support? At the end of the article it says that the father claims he always supported her, but the non-father was also supporting her.

Mom got 2 child support payments and never bothered to say anything? Or the county ignored mom saying she got 2 checks? Or the real dad never did pay?

I think I could believe that any of those happened.

I find it TOTALLY unbelievable that the man is not entitled to his $12,000 back. I am just floored by that. I think he should get it back, plus interest and penalties, PLUS compensation for jail time.

but hey, it could be worse. IF this were Great Britain they would send him a bill for room and board for the times he was in jail! There was a recent article on that. Even if you are wrongfully accused and wrongfully jailed then set free they BILL you for the room and board because you didn't have to pay it for that amount of time.

This whole situation with the man who paid support for someone else's child is just immoral and reprehensible.

klmno

I saw that- it cost him the money, a job, time in jail (a record) and then lost time from his own life....I think somebody owes him something and I hope he fights it in a higher court or something.

trinityroyal

It gets crazier...
Apparently the daughter in question was living with her dad for much of the time that the mother was getting 2 support payments, one from the dad and one from the non-dad.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yup. I believe it.

My brother paid support on 2 kids he knew weren't his. Paternity testing proved weren't his. But he was forced to pay because his adulterous wife got pregnant with another man's kids during the marriage. Marriage = they're yours. Period.

My other brother had it declared by the court he didn't have to pay support for his kids because 1. He didn't want the divorce 2. CPS was forcing them to divorce or his ex would lose the kids. Five years later.......Child Support decided too bad so sad and that he had to pay support anyway because his ex was too lazy to get a job and had been on welfare for those 5 years. So he not only had to pay 5 years worth of back support, he also had to pay her welfare bill for the same amount of time.

husband and I made an agreement with his ex to lower the child support payments because at the time he was making barely nothing and her getting some was better than getting nothing. Mo decided to ignore Oh's ruling (that had been with ex's agreement) and every month for years that we followed oh's ruling we were held in contempt in Mo.

When husband made more money, we paid all of the back support. (in Mo's opinion, not oh's) Took us years. We celebrated when we got the notification via letter and phone from Mo that it was paid off. Only to be notified 6 months later that we still owed Mo 30,000.00 because husband's ex had spent years on welfare. (also too lazy to go out and find a job until they kicked her off when the new laws came into play)

Now, I have a major issue with the father being expected to pay off the mother's welfare bill. I mean, come on, the guys have no control on whether or not their ex's decide to work. grrrrr

The child support system is a joke. And I'm speaking from both sides of the coin.

donna723

Yep, I believe it too! The child support system is a real circus!

My brother paid child support too for a child that wasn't his - he paid every month for six years! When he met and married his first wife, she had a one year old son that was conceived and born before he ever even knew her. He raised this boy as his own until they divorced when the boy was 12. In fact (BIG mistake!) they never told him that my brother was not his bio-father! When they separated, the mom took him back to Florida with her, and when they went to court she asked for child support for both the daughter they had together and the son. In a true case of 'small town justice', the judge ordered my brother to pay support because he said, "Somebody has to support this boy!" Legal or not, he had to pay! He didn't really fight it because he did love the boy, and he did feel the obligation to him as the only father he ever knew and he wanted him to have the things he needed. But legal or not, there's some very strange things that go on in courtrooms!

KTMom91

That is so wrong on so many levels. The mom should be made to pay that back. I agree, the child support system is a joke.

klmno

It irrkks me just as much that the bio-dad walked and didn't pay a dime or have to take any repsonsibility whatsoever.