Thoughts? Comments welcome.

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by Superpsy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Superpsy

Superpsy New Member

I'm pretty excited now because of a conversation I had with my school superintendent. Just some background: the school districts I work with are VERY rural and VERY much stuck in using the discrepancy model for students who have learning disabilities. I've been trying to encourage the district to move toward the RtI model which most definitely does a better job of meeting student needs in a scientific and research-based way and isn't just limited to special education. The superintendent seemed VERY open to the model and asked for a brief (I tried to make it as short as I could) summary of the model, how it would look at my school and what my role would be under the new model. Here's what I wrote...I really do invite comments and constructive criticism. This is the first time I've seen openness to this idea and I want it to go well. Ignore the acronyms you don't know just let me know what you think....

Oh, by the way the first step with RtI in this district will be academic (just in case you're wondering why I didn't address behavior).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  2. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Sounds great to me. I can't really comment specifically on the accuracy of what you've written, though, because I'm not very knowledgeable about this program.

Our elementary school began implementing RtI this year just for reading. They call the program Walk to Read: students are grouped by reading ability and then walk to another classroom for specialized instruction (sorry, I don't know how many times a week they are doing this -- I know I should).

I think this is a much better approach than the "wait-to-fail" method, which is what's been used traditionally, and is probably the reason my middle school student is struggling so much.
  3. Sheila

Sheila Moderator

Looks good to me.

We've had a lot of problems from parents with-schools trying to use RTI in place of qualifying students for special education. One thing they may want to keep in mind is that, "An RTI process does not replace the need for a comprehensive evaluation, and a child's eligibility for special education services cannot be changed solely on the basis of data from an RTI process..."

You've probably found the references at under the RTI search.

Hope you can get the school district to move forward on this. The discrepancy formula is frowned upon by the feds. Some states prohibit the use.

Best of luck, and let us know how it works out.
  4. Superpsy

Superpsy New Member

Thanks Sheila. I'm hoping the reaction to my FAQ is positive. My state allows continued use of the discrepancy formula unfortunately. It's quite the change from Colorado where they were moving to RtI only for SLD evaluations. I think the main barrier in my state is a lack of knowledge about the model.