ticket prices for JT concert

Well I really wanted to see James Taylor in concert -- he will be performing near me early this year. JT is actually on my bucket list -- he's seen me through a lot of times.

Looked up the ticket prices and they start in the $120 range for the nosebleed seats, all the way up to $250 per ticket in the orchestra. Wow I was shocked. Haven't been to a concert for awhile. Paid $50.00 to see The Stones is the last I remember (that was a while ago).

Going to have to toss James out of my bucket. Feel bad about it though.

Jo

DDD

About six years ago Tina Turner was going to perform in Atlanta when I was there. I don't do concerts but Tina...wow. I asked easy child to check on tickets and the two of us could go together. When she checked it was over $150 a ticket. No way.
I just listen to the CD's. It's outrageous. Sorry you're going to miss James Taylor. DDD

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When husband and I went on our first date, we saw Led Zeppelin in the now defunct Chicago theater (This was back in the late 70's). He paid 45 dollars each for 5th row center stage seats. Perfect view, perfect sound, though my ears rang for two days afterwards, LoL.

lmf64

Sorry to hear you can't go to the concert you really want to.
A few years back Simon and Garfunkel reunited for a short concert tour. Well, ever since difficult child was a baby I would play their live in central park cd whenever it would storm and he loves them. He started saying when he was very little that they would get back together and do a concert for him, so when they did I knew we had to go to the concert. Man was I shell shocked when the closest place was Chicago and that tickets started at $500. OUCH! Thank God my parents knew how important it was for him. We got the tickets for Christmas that year. All I had to pay for was gas, meals and the hotel for the trip. It was the best memory I could give my son. He still talks about it. LOL here's a 6 foot tall, 230 pound 16 year old talking about going to see a concert with his mom and it's not even a rap/hip hop/rock concert.

svengandhi

I saw Bruce Springsteen on the "Darkness" tour in 1978 at Nassau Coliseum and paid $25 for a great ticket and that was the scalped price!

Funny thing is when I saw your post said "JT," I thought you meant Justin Timberlake! I'd actually go see him, I have never been able to stomach James Taylor. H loves him and we fight over it. I detest "You've got a friend" and have threatened to jump out of a moving car if he doesn't change it!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
When we were young, not-yet-husband used to woo me with "you've got a friend". I sure needed a true friend in those days. I have a weak spot for JT because of that.

susiestar

Roll With It
Concerts are really pricing themselves out of orbit these days. I am sorry that you can't go. Keep an eye out for contests - maybe you can win the tickets? I haven't been to a concert since I took my niece to see Garth when we lived in Cincy. Before that it was Pink Floyd and U2 in the same weekend wehn I was 18 and a freshman in college!

I hope that tickets come down in the future so that those of us who are not wealthy can afford them.

witzend

The reason concerts are so expensive is that no one is buying lp's or cd's anymore. We buy the one song we want, or we just rip it.

DammitJanet

I am a huge concert fan. I went to tons of them as a teen and when I found out that Tony had never been to one, I started taking him to them when we finally had a tiny bit of fun money. We have never paid that much though!

We actually saw Elton John at what is known as an "unplugged" concert. Just him, his piano and no band. We have a smaller venue that holds maybe somewhere in the area of 3000 people or so I guess. Maybe a tad more. I cant find anything that tells me the capacity. Im just guessing. I may not be a good guesser and it may be more. We got tickets right next to the stage and paid $35 per ticket and we took me, Tony, Jamie and Cory.

Tony and I have seen Reba and Kelly Clarkson, Toby Keith, Jason Michael Carrol, ... Allan Jackson, gosh I cant remember everyone. I think the highest price we paid was $65 per ticket.

One way to look for really good concerts is to check out your county or state fairs. Normally they get really good bands and they may only be the admission to the fair or admission plus $10 bucks. That is quite the deal. I saw Jason Michael Carrol and Emerson Drive at the fair for just the price of admission! That was $10 well spent.

svengandhi

My son saw Steve Miller Band recently after winning tickets on a radio show. Of course, I had to schlep downtown to get them. He loved the show, which was at the Beacon Theater in Manhattan.

I won tickets for Steely Dan and Michael McDonald and a gift card for a dinner at a Japanese restaurant a few years ago when I knew that July 31 was Harry Potter's birthday (not only were my kids big HP fans, July 31st is one of my own kids' birthdays). I had H take difficult child to the concert because I don't like either SD or MM enough to even go to a free concert, LOL! I did love the restaurant though.

Hey everyone,

Love hearing about all the concerts you've been to (or had to miss). I'm going to keep my eye out for cheaper opportunities like fairs, give-aways, contests etc.

I did enter a contest to win a signed copy of Keith Richards's autobiography "Life." Didn't work out. Oh well I read it from the library. He's a hoot.

Jo

H

HaoZi

One of these years I *will* get kiddo and I out to a Celtic Woman performance.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I've been reading that certain artists demand that ticket prices be kept under a certain amount so that more of their fans can go...

(I might be wrong about this) I think Garth Brooks is one of those. I believe he is the singer who just sold out ten shows because he priced the tickets low and advertised that the bulk of the proceeds will be donated to charity.

I think if more musicians did this - they would see an increase in ticket sales. Instead, people are not buying music the way they used to - and now cannot go to concerts the way they used to. A concert should not be priced so that it becomes a once-in-a-decade experience...

JMHO

H

HaoZi

Yes, he did, but for a limited number of concerts, not as an all the time thing. Others have as well, or give tickets to charities so they can raise money.