Tigger Update :(

JJJ

Tigger has had a very rough couple of weeks. Last week, the lead teacher was not in the classroom due to needing to be with the 5th graders at their outdoor ed program. They have 2 boys in the classroom that are making threats to beat the other kids up. So Tigger was freaked out, cause in his mind only the lead teacher can keep everyone safe.

He tried to run away from school on Thursday so he was restrained until I got there. He stayed home Friday since lead teacher was still gone. He went back on Monday and lasted less than 2 hours. He completely raged. :badmood:

When I got there they had him corralled in the crisis room. He was in fighter position. I cleared the room. He "punched" me and "kicked" me - I put it in quotes because he clearly held himself back so he barely tapped me. After a few minutes he started crying and yelling about how evil everyone at school was. He felt that he took out his phone to call me to tell me he needed me and they took it from him when the teacher had promised he could call me. (partly true, he had an 11:00am appointment to call me but it wasn't 11 yet and she only took it from him because she was afraid it was going to get broken in his rage). Then he had a seizure :(

I took him to ER (drove 45 minutes to get him to the Children's Hospital ER). They found nothing but got us into their pediatric neurologist on Monday (last time we waited 2 months). The discharge instructions were to keep him calm, watch for additional seizues and fever, and ensure good sleep.

Since calm and school do not go together right now, he is going to stay home until Monday. Teacher is making a light work packet so he can keep up on the skills he is woking on that need daily practice.

So overall, a long, bad, exhausting day...

But there were some highlights:

1. The teacher made it crystal clear that I did not have to take him home - that they would work through the rage. He is not being punished for losing control nor for breaking things. (no idea if Principal Pretty Boy is going to bill me for the damages or not -- I'm guessing not cause my casual glance put the damages at about $5 and an hour of labor--he broke the outlet covers).

2. By bedtime last night, Tigger was starting to talk about the things at school that he would miss this week that he wants to do.

As soon as Tig and I get dressed, we are going to spend the day with my grandparents. With them being 90 years old, that is about as calm a day as I can manage :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh, JJJ.... Hugs. I'm glad he's okay and has calmed some. It's good that it was obvious he was holding back - shows he is learning control over his rages.

Hugs for Tigger, too.

P

PatriotsGirl

Oh my goodness. Poor Tigger and poor momma :( At least it sounds like the teacher is very understanding.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I truly feel for you and for him. Hang in there, you are doing a GREAT job!

PS. I remember your posts from when I was here long ago (just came back yesterday).

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Poor Tig. Wee reminds me so much of him.

Here's hoping that calm returns with the teacher on Monday.

I'm so glad, tho, that they recognize his need for that stability and aren't giving you grief about that. If you need help replacing outlet covers, I'll gladly come help.

LittleDudesMom

JJJ,

Sorry that things have been so tough for Tigger, his loved ones and supports lately. Sounds like his teacher is a jewel.

So glad that you are keeping him home till the appointment. It could have gotten much, much worse as the week went by.

Hope the day with your grandparents was a good one and Tigger is calming being around mom and out of the anxiety-raising situation.

Hugs,
Sharon

Wow it makes complete sense why Tigger freaked out with all the circumstances lining up against him. I'm sure he did feel that everyone at school is evil. It's awesome that he was able to hold himself back in spite of all this. Was it his first seizure? Wonder how all that stuff is related.

Take care of you and Tigger and the all the rest. Sending good thoughts.

Jo

TerryJ2

Oh, dear. Poor thing.
He had the seizure because he was stressed, right? My easy child's roommate gets stress seizures. No fun. On top of it, she wants to do mission work in Africa. If that's not stressful, I don't know what is.
I'm glad the teachers are willilng to work with-you on this.
Many hugs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
You know what? Dude used to flip out and trash classrooms too. By the time I would get to the school, he'd be frothing at the mouth, someone would be basket holding him - it looked like a tornado had gone through the place and the only one that was calm? Me. When you walk into a situation like that where the bigger person is restraining the smaller person (supposedly for their own safety) it NEVER ceased to amaze me that nine times out of ten had someone just LEFT the kid alone or known how to handle the rage? ALL of the explosive behavior would have been minimalized a lot quicker, damage control would be less, and I wouldn't have gotten called to the school so much I lost a 40k a year job. (thank you "Special Education' teachers of our district)

It makes you wonder WHY - psychiatric hospitals and residentials have a time-out room with pads on the walls - and classrooms? Don't. I mean - if I'm having a bad day, and I have the coping skills of a 10 year old, and I don't have a shadow in the classroom that KNOWS my signs and can tap me on the shoulder and get me OUT of the class, away from the annoying stimulus, and maybe just OUTSIDE for some fresh air, and a walk? What else am I gonna do?

I'm so sorry for Tigger. HUGE HUGS.........He's an awesome, AWESOME little Dude - with a teacher that is trying, how about a shadow for him?

SRL

{{{Hugs}}} I'm exhausted just reading this, so I can imagine what turmoil you're in.

Glad to see they got you into the neurologist so soon. Amazing what a little trip to ER can accomplish!

Jena

i read your post and i have to say wow. thru all of that you had to go thru and yes i got tired reading it too and couldnt' imagine the calm you had to keep thru it, you still managed to pull out positives for the day. good 4 u. very impressive.

when i grow up i wanna be like you lol. :)

great job, your a great mom!!