Treatment Plan

pasajes4

My son is currently at SASH (state mental hospital). He has detoxed and is being seen by a neurologist and physical therapist. They will add Occupational Therapist (OT) if needed. His mood is flat ( to be expected), and his resistance to his environment is that it looks and feels like a jail. He has seen both the psychiatric and the therapist when he was in his early teens, and they are both aware of his issues and all of the events of the past few years. This is the biggest advantage of our University Mental Health System.

I visited this morning and he was very subdued and emotionless with very little to say. He did sign for me to be informed of treatment and to be included in the decision making process. The psychiatric and therapist are looking at moving him to a treatment cottage with 4 other residents and a " house" parent. As he progresses he will be allowed off campus for job training and outings. They are not pushing medications. They are utilizing a treatment model that has shown promise in Finland that focuses on quiet simple living with lots of fresh air and not dwelling on the "mental" issues which for some individuals just amps up the problems. They feel he might be an ideal candidate. I can see the point. If I focus on my negative events my negative feelings are reinforced and feel insurmountable. I feel neutral which is good. No great lashings of hope to be dashed and no deep despair.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Pasa

This all sounds good to me. He is getting the help he needs it seems. Is this your 19 year old?

How do you feel about it?

pasajes4

It is the 19 year old. He will be 20 next month. I don't have any feelings about it one way or the other. it is good to see him not under the influence of drugs. He is just flat. Medication and therapy did not help. it was probably the wrong kind. his life experiences have been very negative, school, home, relationships..... So maybe a quiet non invasive positive environment without barbwire and non-institutional vibe will work. Who knows?

Albatross

It sounds interesting, Pasa. Definitely framed differently than any options he has tried before. I hope he flourishes, but I also think it is always wise not to get too emotionally invested just yet. Time will tell.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
It does sound positive and interesting. I can understand your hesitancy with not having any feelings one way or the other, you've been through a lot with your son.
I hope it works out for your son.
Sending warm wishes for you Pasa......

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
It sounds good, though I have no professional experience. My son was only in a mental ward for a few days...boy did they medicate.

I hope this is a turning point and you see hope for him an peace for yourself.

worried sick mother

That sounds like a very good approach and treatment plan. That might be just what your son needs. You know the saying different strokes for different folks and effective treatment has to be individualized. Sending both you and your son the best wishes.

rebelson

Sounds quite promising.

These words stood out to me:

cottage
quiet
simple
fresh air

and "not pushing medications".

To me, this is hopeful. [emoji120]

pasajes4

SASH has been in existence since the 1800's. It is located on a huge piece of property that at one time was located in the country. It has a lake and pasture land. The is a medical hospital located on the grounds that provided medical care for the indigent after WW!. They used to perform lobotomies and they still do EST. People who were sent there never left. They raised their own veggies, fished, and raised cattle for milk and meat. They also had workshops where the patients made clothes and other products that they sold to the public to keep the institution going. Caretakers lived on the property with their families in small cottages. The cottages are being renovated to facilitate this program.

The cottage dwellers will be raising their own vegetables, chickens, and doing the upkeep on the cottage they live in. They have bicycles that they can ride around the property. There is a fence around the entire property, but it is not visible from where they will be located. If they are no longer on committed status, they are free to leave the facility and not come back. I wouldn't mind living like that.