Turkey day suggestions?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's just me for turkey day and I'm not very fond of turkey at the best of times.

Even the sides pile up leftovers.

I'm doing a single game hen with a baked potato and salad on the side.

The fanciest part of the whole thing will be the (expensive) German beer I plan on chasing the meal with.

meowbunny

GN, if you can find it, there's a great ale called "Giraffe." Can't remember if it is Belgium or Danish but it is the best ever! I love German beers but this is 10 times better. Enjoy your dinner. It sounds like what I would love to have.

Still no idea what to fix. Ze child hates Cornish Game Hens. Tried them once. I love them and do know how to fix them but she whined through the entire dinner that it wasn't right for Thanksgiving. Never again for that!

I may be stuck with white meat. YUCK! I'm hoping I can talk her into a ham. We shall see.

Normally, I would be sending out messages to the world to come to my house for turkey day. Did that last year. Got two people. However, with the impending move, stress and depression, I'm really not up to finding nor feeding strangers. Next year, maybe (unless I'm moving again sigh).

Star*

call 911........call 911
How about having Publix fix a small turkey for you both? LEFTOVERS are highly underrated. Quick, realtively cheap...

Fried turkey drumsticks sound YUMMY.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
MB

I eat game hens quite frequently. They are the perfect oven buzzard for the single set.

Even a whole frying chicken generates a lot of leftovers for me.

We do have an upscale liquor store attached to a local market up here. They have a good selection of European beers. I'll check for the one you mentioned and see if they carry it.

I don't drink much and figure that when I do, I can go for the whole bottle of good stuff.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Mb, do you do any canning? Its pretty easy, and makes a great way to store those leftovers in a way that's actually pretty easy to use again down the road. (If I freeze turkey or chicken, I will end up throwing it out in a future freezer cleaning...)

meowbunny

Canning implies leftovers. I LOATHE leftovers (cept for spaghetti). I tried the grocery store dinner one year. Truth be told, you do almost as much cooking as if you do it from scratch. The turkey still has to be reheated and so does the rest of the food and you still have to make your holiday salads and the like. All I seemed to do was lose out on the yummy smells.

I really do like fixing the holiday meals. I even don't mind the clean-up. I just don't want a fridge and freezer full of food I'm going to be obligated to eat for the next week. I want two turkey sandwiches on Wonder Bread after the meal. If I weren't so dang cheap (I'm beyond frugal), I'd just fix the turkey and trimmings and then toss all the stuff not eaten except for absolute favorites like the pies and be done with it unless I find a neighbor who happens to like leftovers. Oh, heck, I'm beginning to like that idea. I may just go all out after all.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Doesn't your daughter have any "orphans" that you can cook for? That would justify buying a small bird complete with leftovers for them and you?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
No, its different from leftovers. I can chicken yearly for the sole purpose of having it on hand because its quick, easy, and cheap meals when I need them. Do you ever cook anything that uses those little cans of chicken? Its the same thing, and you can use it over the course of a year or longer.

6 months from now, a jar of chicken/turkey and some noodles and you have chicken and noodles for the price of the noodles in 20 minutes or less.

KTMom91

My sister-in-law (who usually does the holidays) has declared a strike this year, and is going to the beach. The rest of the family has scattered to various places around town. I made reservations at Claim Jumper because I don't want to cook for just me and Hubby.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Or, you could come by my store tomorrow as I am demoing completely done 1/2 turkey dinners that are completely cooked. Just nuke and go.

Abbey

meowbunny

Better yet, you could bring it to Central Florida when you get off work. ;) Sadly, it's not all that warm here right now but Floridians think it is COLD when the temp hits 75. I keep looking at these folks when I see them bundled up in their golf carts and wonder if they really did come from snow country. I don't think I bundled up that much ever and I've lived in some serious snow country. Oh, well, come on down with half a turkey dinner. I could use it.

I think the issue has been resolved. Talked to my daughter today. She told me she didn't care what the meat was so long as I made the side dishes. So, I'm seriously thinking steak. Guess I'll go shopping tomorrow and see what's on sale and do it that way.