Unreal...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My cousin's son was born blind. He's 12 now, attends public school, neat kid.
He LOVES science, so my cousin was shocked when he brought home a D on his grade card. She called the teacher.
He had missing work. He didn't turn in a large packet involving using a microscope and several word finds.

buddy

My cousin's son was born blind. He's 12 now, attends public school, neat kid.
He LOVES science, so my cousin was shocked when he brought home a D on his grade card. She called the teacher.
He had missing work. He didn't turn in a large packet involving using a microscope and several word finds.

ARE you KIDDING?????? you are right...UNBELIEVABLE

keista

OMG! No words.

BUT I do have words about wordfinds in general - THIS IS NOT EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :soapbox: They are a "for fun" classroom filler. They CAN also be used as a therapeutic aid for kids who have "field of vision issues" like son, but grading wordfinds is NONSENSE!

InsaneCdn

At 12, they are not expected to be fully self-advocating yet, either. Or shouldn't be. (before they get to the end of highschool, absolutely).

DUH!!!

And this is for an obvious physical disability. This isn't even the stuff most of us on the board have to deal with - or even "pain-based" medical stuff like juvie arthritus... BLIND is BLIND. Seriously vision impaired is just as obvious. (have friends that are in both categories).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Umm... I wear contacts... But I have problems with microscopes! If dumb-dumb teacher can't figure out that, gee, if someone can't see a blessed thing to begin with it might be a TAD problematic to see things through a microscope... ARRRRGGGHHHH!

And I agree. Wordfinds are annoying at best. They're NOT educational. Crosswords (for the sighted) are better, because you read the clue, and have to THINK to come up with what might fit.

InsaneCdn

Wordfinds are annoying at best. They're NOT educational
Sure they are! Take your pick:

1) they teach the kid that teachers are stupid.

2) they work for teaching fine-motor-control - its an exercise an older kid will do, rather than having to do coloring in a "baby " book... it keeps the kid interested, while getting good motor skills practice. And as they come in different sizes of print, the level of difficulty can be adjusted.

However, I HIGHLY doubt that either of these was the desired teaching outcome.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I love crosswords. I DESPISE wordfinds. There's always one word I can't find, and it's usually 3-5 letters long, smack in the middle or along the edge.

They're busywork.

But I will most definitely agree with #1!!!

KTMom91

Wordfinds are good for the beginning reader to reinforce what a particular word looks like. They may not have much value for the older kids, but all the kids seem to enjoy them.

KTMom91

I figure that, if nothing else, the wordfind has them reading, and for some kids, it's like pulling teeth to get them to voluntarily read something!

Like Miss KT...Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is the only thing she's EVER read without a fuss.

InsaneCdn

Either way, I think its safe to say that there is NO benefit in a wordfind, for a TWELVE year old with a vision impairment!

That isn't rocket science.

Maybe rock-head science?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I figured you folks would appreciate this story. My cousin was going to be 'holding some meetings'... And the kid has no sight...he's not even just legally blind...he can't see anything.

flutterby

Fly away!
Is the teacher backing off and changing his grade? Or is that why she's going to "hold some meetings"? Unbelievable.

on the other hand, mom could have some fun helping son complete that missing packet. :devil:

mstang67chic

Going Green
I would go into that meeting, hand the teacher a yellow, diamond sign, TELL her "Here's your sign" and then turn around and leave.

How insanely stupid.

keista

Insane, that's one fine motor exercise my son REFUSED to do. In HS he still gets them on occasion, and by the time he gets home from school, well, there's smoke coming out of his ears. The last one he got from a sub in..........MATH. And it wasn't even math terms. UHG!