Update on M

witzend

M called his dad a few minutes ago. He did try unsuccessfully to hang himself on Wednesday, and somehow managed to end up at the psysh ward of the hospital that is somewhat near husband's work. Not anywhere near his or our home though. It must have been a referral, I guess.

Visiting hours are noon to 1, and husband is going to go see him right now. He will have M sign a HIPAA release to speak to us so we can at least know if he leaves AMA, or what things we can and can't bring to him. I'll go see him this evening.

Right now I'm just going to go have a good cry.

janebrain

Aw, Witz, what an ordeal you've had. I hope he is doing better and that they can help him at the psychiatric unit. Let us know how the visit with husband goes.
Hugs,
Jane

Witz,

I'm sending out gentle hugs. I'm so sorry that you all are going through this experience. I am just so glad that he is safe . Please keep us updated.

Valerie

DammitJanet

Hugs Witz. Im so glad he was unsuccessful. Have a good cry then go see him and hug him and shake him then hug him from all of us.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
(((((WAY BIG HUGSZ))))) to you Witz! Keeping you & yours in my prayers and thinking good thoughts for you and M.

So sorry for your hurting heart.

Peace

D

Doddlin

witz - big hug from me too. I hope you get some rest tonight knowing he is being watched over and is safe. Hang in there you are strong!

donna723

Oh Witz, I'm so glad you heard something and that he's safe and in the hospital! That's probably exactly where he needs to be right now. Will they be able to keep him a few days for evaluation? Sending many, many gentle hugs.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm so sorry, Witz. I remember how frightened I was when Rob was missing; a suicide attempt is an added terror. I'm just so sorry.

I hope this has scared M enough to finally want to help himself and follow the program the hospital will hopefully outline for him.

Hugs,

Suz

N

Nomad

I'm so very sorry.
Thank goodness he is getting treatment.
And that you were notified and that husband will visit right away and you soon afterward.
Prayers for your son and family.
This is a lot...take one day/step at a time. (Hugs).

witzend

M is on the ward on an involuntary hold. That's 5 business days, so he will not be released until either next Thursday or until they feel he is safe and progressing. I spoke with his social worker today for a few minutes to give him a history.

He said that M carries a lot of unhappy baggage. Big sigh... M had not wanted to contact us because he thought that we would think that his pain wasn't real. I don't think that, and told the man so. I told him that M and I have talked about leaving the past behind and working towards a more happy life for himself, and that it starts with appreciating the small things in life. That M probably has to force himself to have a positive outlook about things.

They have him on Prozac, which I'm less than thrilled about. He had done well on Celexa in the past and that is what I would have wanted them to start with. So, now they will run the course with Prozac and if it's unsuccessful it will probably be more difficult to get M to try anything different. Plus it's 4 - 6 weeks before they will see any therapeutic result from Prozac - or decide that there isn't any therapeutic result...

His doctor will be writing a letter for him to tell the financial aid people that he was ill and hospitalized and should be allowed to have his financial aid continued due to illness. They are going to assist him with getting the appeal process started.

The social worker said that he is encouraging M to talk to us about his past issues and pains. I'm really not sure what he means by that. Does that mean that we are expected to sit in a room and listen to what terrible parents we were? To listen to lies about abuse that didn't happen? Not going to happen. I can forgive and forget, but moving forward is the only way that I can live with the horror we went through when he was last hospitalized and wanted to lay all of his problems at our feet.

We weren't the best parents, but we did the best we could. We sought out help for him and for ourselves and we tried to make a happy life for all of us. I can't revisit that again. Someone needs to go to the hospital tonight to get the keys to the apartment to feed and water the cat and change the litter. I suppose we have to suck it up and do that.

Speaking of getting sucked into stuff, it feels a bit like we're right where we were when I joined this group nearly 8 years ago. Maybe a baby step forward. husband and I have made great strides, but as far as M goes, he's been running in place all of these years. Such a waste.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Witz, I just logged on. Hugs. What a heartbreak! I'm glad he is in the hospital for a few days.