Was just diagnosed with Fibro

MrsMcNear46

After many months of tests and scans, the Dr. has diagnosed fibro. At first I felt like he was slapping a label on what was going on because he couldn't find another diagnosis.

I have heard of the condition, but really knew nothing about it until I looked it up on the internet. I have so many of the symptoms that have been going on for months now. I am almost relieved to know that what I've been feeling is not in my head...I was beginning to wonder.

For those of you who know much about this, how much does exercise help? I have been pretty sedentary for years, yeah, my bad, but now wondering how much it will help the pain.

If you've got a minute, let me know what works for those of you who suffer. I am soooooooooooo tired or feeling bad, I'm willing to do what will help. Dr. is to give me a list tomorrow of things to do, but I've always found speaking with those who live with these things have the best advice.

Thanks guys and Blessings to You all,

Julie

susiestar

Roll With It
You have to really listen to your body. If you push it too far it will just stop. Gentle exercise, like the arthritis water workout at the Y is good. Just listen and when your body says it is done, STOP.

Drives me nuts, but it is the most helpful way to handle it.

I am so sorry you have this.

Hugs,

Susie

busywend

My sister has this, but she really can not exercise much due to a bad back - she even had back surgery.

I am sorry to hear that you have this diagnosis. It must be a relief though to know what it is so you can start to treat it. I do know that the symptoms overlap with a ton of diagnoses so if you are not comfortable with it - go get a 2nd opinion.

Also, I saw recently at a local spa they have a specific massage for their fibro clients. Something to consider!

DammitJanet

Im sorry you have fibro.

I recommend http://www.immunesupport.com for support.

I also have pretty bad arthritis so doing much in the way of exercise kills me. I do what I can though. I stretch and try to do some walking even if its with the walker but thats hard in my dirt.

I have been working around my house lately so that is some movement for me.

I have fibro pretty bad and housework is really hard for me. I cant stand up for more than about 20 mins at a time. Bending to do stuff like laundry or pushing a vacuum or broom hurts. I could go on and on.

My house looks like a tornado went through it...lol.

Sigh.

lovemysons

I'm sorry you've been feeling bad for so long but happy you know what it is now and that the docs maybe able to give you a list of things that can help.

((((((((((hugs)))))))) my sweet friend...hope you start feeling better soon.

lovemysons

I am so very sorry.

My mom has it. I know it comes in varying degrees. She is not debilitated by it, but she is in much pain from time to time.

You will be in my prayers.

Marguerite

Exercise - you do what you can gently, as much as you can every day without wiping yourself out. Don't jog; walk instead. If you can maintain a single exercise session until your pulse goes up, then this is good. Try and exercise to that extent at least three times a week, but if you can't do it without really hitting the wall, then ease back to where you can exercise without being a mess later on. Find your level and try to maintain it. If you ever can, extend it ever so slightly, a bit more each time. Extend- stabilise for a bit. Then extend again. But keep it up at the level you can handle it. If suddenly you can't handle it, treat it like snakes and ladders - go back a few squares and start from a lower level and slowly work up again.

Stretches are really good, even if you are too exhausted to exercise. Stretches get your body ready to do whatever it can. They also open you up if you've been closing in on yourself physically. Stretch up and back but never to the point of pain. Don't bounce into a stretch, just stretch, hold, release. Breathe deep. Enjoy. Feel good.

If you can do this regularly, at least three times a week, you will benefit. Every day - even better, if you can. It can also help the pain. If the pain gets worse, ease back again. As the condition fluctuates (for all sorts of reasons) you may find yourself all over the place with exercise; don't be disheartened. It happens.

Treat the symptoms. Try to keep the pain controlled. Keep your doctor fully informed. Keep a diary logging how you feel each day on a scale of 1 to 10. That way you don't have to exert memory cells on stuff that is illness-centred; the book has t he info, you can forget it and enjoy life as much as the fibro will let you, and refer to the diary if you need to tell the doctor anything.

Learn to listen to your body, that is the most important thing of all.

Marg

Sunlight

Julie,
I am so sorry to know you have been having pain. I was hoping others with this condition would come forth with info. glad they have. how is the new grandbaby?
Janet

TerryJ2

So sorry, Julie.
I agree, you have to listen to your body. I would do something gentle ... maybe walking or water aerobics.
I would also take naps during the day, and up my vitamin dosage.
In regard to the diagnosis, fibro is often a case of ruling out other things first, so I can see why your dr came up with-it last.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well stranger - hello.

How are you, Sweet Betsy and the grandbaby? (Despite the fibro diagnosis)

Hope all is well with the family and my heart goes out to you regarding the fibro. I hope they find some relief for you now that they know what it is.

Hugs
Star