Watching the EMDR process

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by timer lady, Mar 20, 2007.

1. timer lady

timer lady Queen of Hearts

kt & I went to our attachment therapist appointment this afternoon. kt was quite anxious, stressed & was running a mile a minute.

therapist asked me, on a scale of 1 to 10 anxiety wise, where would I place kt. Ummmmmm, 17.5 :rofl:

therapist used EMDR this afternoon while working with kt on self calming ideas. He used the EMDR machine the entire hour of therapy. I watched her slowly calm; listened to kt open up & share different ideas - even opened up about some of her dissociative episodes.

At one point, therapist got out another EMDR machine & placed me on it because listening to kt share some of this stuff was agitating for me.

Having said that, kt leveled out to around 4 on our "anxiety scale" by the time we left the office.

therapist decided that we'll be using EMDR for the next several appointments & watch reaction there in the office & the aftermath at home.

I must say kt is a great deal calmer this evening. :smile:

2. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

Linda,
    I'm glad to hear the EMDR helped. From a 17.5 to a 4 is pretty good. I hope it lasts a good long while.

3. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

What is it? Sounds like something we should all use!

4. Janna

Janna New Member

Yeah, Linda, what's that?? Share, please?

5. timer lady

timer lady Queen of Hearts

6. hearts and roses

hearts and roses Mind Reader

EMDR helped my difficult child years ago with PTSD. It really is amazing. Except our practitioner didn't use a machine, she used her two fingers in front of difficult child's face. She also used it on me and it was helpful as well. This practitioner retired and I wish she was still around because she was awesome.

I'm glad the EMDR helped kt (and you). That's just the best news.