Water

tiredmommy

Another tip: Fill excess space in your freezers with bags or small bottles of ice. Rotate out as needed throughout the year. This will help keep the contents of the freezer colder longer.

TerryJ2

GREAT note, great idea.
I hadn't even considered the idea that even though we've had water dumped and dumped on us in the past two wks, that we would have no way to clean or transport it. Thank you!
And take care of yourself.
We had another storm this a.m. I woke up at 4 a.m., went back to bed at 9:30 a.m.
There's supposed to be yet another one tonight.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My sister and her family in WV will be out of power until Thursday likely. They have water, thank goodness, but the pressure is bad. They were able to find ice today, but no one has any and the gas stations are rationing gas! Nightmare. Glad you're all at least safe and have one another.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We had another bad batch of storms roll through this evening. Our town didn't have it bad, got some much needed rain. But in other places more power lines were knocked down. *sigh*

They're saying if these severe storms keep popping up and knocking out power.......they'll end up having to ration gas here too.

Good news? easy child & sister in law now have power. :)

klmno

I wathced a bit of the news today and realized many are still without power who are still having very high temps so they have no AC. I hope all our members are getting help if they're in that situation. They need cooler temps and water, if nothing else.

Friday night there was a huge storm. Not only did we lose power for 2 days, the cell phone towers were down, all supermarkets and stores-CLOSED. Even in the worst winter weather, there are still Wawa'a open- and this was for miles and miles, we got ours back on, but some people are still without. There were fires and trees uprooted blocking streets, live wires in the street and nobody was manning the traffic lights. It was chaos, I gave difficult child the contents of my fridge, his was working. 2 kids and a man were killed. We couldn't buy ice. Yesterday Wawa opened- the freezer was empty. If someting bad should happen, things will get bad quickly. I was surprised the generators wouldn't make it possible for stores to be open. All restaurants closed Saturday and Sunday. That is a huge loss. Especially around here when summer is the time to maker money here. Right now 102,000 homes a business' still without power since Friday night, down from 600,000
I was in bed with my phone on my pillow waiting for easy child to call me for a ride home- At 3am he woke me up, he had to get a ride home with the owner of the store because he couldn't call me. He was playing Magic at a store, he usually finishes around one. They all were playing in the dark he said. We had no COFFEE! Stupid, but really I need to prepare for a worse emergency. I'm going to buy gallons of water and store them.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The town where my parents live lost power to the Kroger - this is a HUGE Kroger, not a Marketplace but still - and KMart, TSC and a few other places. They did close. They had gennies, but not enough to run freezers AND lights LOL! Fortunately their town is big enough they have 2 other grocery stores.

Lothlorien

We also have a well. So, when the power is out, we have no water. If we have notice of a major storm, we fill the tub in my bathroom (this tub is a huge 2 person tub). We have had a generator for many years. We installed a generator switch box to our breaker box, so when power goes out, we hook up the generator to that and we have the basics. The well takes up a lot of power, so we have to shut everything else down while we run the well, but at least we can get showers, dishes and that sort of stuff out of the way. We don't have the air conditioning hooked up to the generator switch, but we can at least run fans and stuff.

We were without power for over a week last year after hurricane Irene. The generator was the best thing ever. I think most of our neighbors have one now.

We actually went to Home Depot Saturday night to buy a generator, before we threw away our food. 80 people were in line for the delivery of generators they were getting delivered. It was evening already, I wonder how many people actually got one. We need to buy one, definately.

There was not a storm predicted here at all. We had no clue. I was supposed to meet my friend from Florida on Sat, but had no way to contact her and we never met up. She said the sliding glass door blew in and some landed on her dad, he had to get stitches. She went home on Sunday. husband and easy child decided to stay at a motel, they need air conditioning. They couldn't get one and came home. I wanted some peace and quite- I would gladly stay here in the dark. It was a very strange weekend.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
In 2008, a week before the "great windstorm" from Hurricane Ike, husband got his business equipment that included a small generator.

We ended up with 4 days with no hot water, stove etc. We grilled out - and we kept the fridge and freezer going, but nothing else. No TV, no lights, etc. It was actually AWESOME. Except for the lack of showers...

InsaneCdn

"Except for the lack of showers..."
You didn't rig a camp shower?
Basically it's a huge water jug attached to a hose, covered in black plastic garbage bags, and hung from a tree where the sun can get at it. String some tarps around to make a shower "room" and... nice warm showers, as long as you don't mind waiting until later in the day...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
IC, it was September... With highs of around 65. I did cold, kids were out of school so they did none, and husband did cold, too.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL 4 days without a shower is no real big deal. There is always the "spit bath" method. That is always on my lowest end of worries.

Wow, UAL, sounds like you guys really got hit hard.

I won't invest in a generator. Not because I don't enjoy comforts, but the gas line at all the gas stations was enough to firmly make up my mind. It was literally INSANE. And now there are rumors about rationing......especially if we have anymore of such storms. Well if you can't get fuel that generator is a useless security blanket. And while I'll gladly store a LOT of other things, not to mention fuel sources, I will NOT store gas in that quantity. husband has always assured me it's safe.......but it makes me too darn nervous. (he used to work in the industry)

So instead, I'm determined to learn to can meat (yes, you can believe it or not) and learn how to dehydrate it for long term storage. My freezer will remain full.......but I can rotate stock out to long term storage as needed. Then if we get hit like this again in the HEAT......and I'm left with no power long enough to lose items, I'll have canned/dehydrated meat to fall back on. It will still hurt to lose what is in the freezer, but we still won't go hungry.

The heat is what is making this so hard. Our stores are out of ice & water. Folks are buying up soda ect because there is no water.........which isn't very bright if you're sitting in upper 90's with no fans, no ac......you're going to dehydrate. In the cold, it wouldn't be quite as bad. Our restaurants were hit sort of hard because many lost food due to the power outage.........and yet others are seeing more business than they've had in years due to the economy.

Back a generation or so ago, people took pains to be prepared for such things......even if it was just for a week or so. Now? Most people never give it a thought until something hits and they find themselves without power or water or smack dab in an ice storm or blizzard that makes going to the store next to impossible. I know people who don't even have a weeks worth of actual food in the house. (not counting snack foods) Ok, shoot, I know people who can't even cook, let alone from scratch. And I have no clue how these folks make it through an event like the ice storm that lasted weeks upon weeks when I was a kid.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa - our gennie runs on diesel, which actually IS safer than regular gasoline. Here is why gasoline is safe though - the combustion "explosion" can only happen with a mixture of air and gasoline, i.e. fumes. Cars exploding in the movies... Not likely. Fire, yes. Explosion, no. In fact you can put cigarettes out in gasoline that's been sitting open a while. (I wouldn't... But you can.)

Since my husband does biodiesel... I learned... I wasn't too keen on flammable liquids in any quantity in my home until I discovered that cooking oil is worse than gasoline...

We just lost electric again, thank goodness it came back on after a couple of hours. The news says the last of the customers will have theirs fixed by Friday. That is a long time.