Way too cold in my house

Wiped Out

Staff member
We woke up this morning and out furnace is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is 55 degrees in the house and only up to two degrees outside now-this morning it was -12 with a -23 windchill. The furnace guy came while I had difficult child at the wrestling tournament. He said we need a new furnace. It's not something we had been hoping to spend a small fortune on-yuck and they can't put it in until tomorrow morning. It's going to be a cold, cold, night. Guess I'll be feeling like I'm right at Lambeau field for the Packer game.

Oh and we are still having major computer problems here so I'm in a rather grouchy mood!!

O.k. I'm done whining now and going to go stoke the fire!

F

flutterbee

Ugh! Why is it that furnaces never go out when it's 40 degrees outside?!! I mean, it's still on then, why does it have to wait until it's sub-zero?!!

I'm so sorry. I can only imagine. It was 2 degrees this morning with a -13 windchill and I was cold with a fully working furnace PLUS the space heater I bought last night (my room gets no heat of it's own - collapsed ventilation back there).

You're a better woman than I. I'd be getting a hotel room.

So sorry this is happening. I hope they get it up and running tomorrow with no problems! Fingers crossed!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm knocking on wood here, so that it doesn't happen to mel I'm taking it that stoking the fire means you have a fireplace? I hope so. brrrrrrr

Make sure you layer up and pile on the covers tonight. If it gets to cold is it possible you could go to a hotel? Oh, and make sure to keep all your faucets on a slow stream so your water pipes don't freeze.:wow::frostbite:

I just adore this emote :wow: :rofl:

tiredmommy

I'm so sorry to hear about your furnace quitting. I hope everyone is hanging out by the fireplace and staying warm. Lisa gave excellent advice about the faucets. You might also want to close the doors into the room with the fireplace to maintain higher level of heat in that room. You can hang a blanket across the arch. Make sure you close all curtains as well!
Good luck! Check in when you can.:love:

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm so sorry to hear about your furnace quitting. I hope everyone is hanging out by the fireplace and staying warm. Lisa gave excellent advice about the faucets. You might also want to close the doors into the room with the fireplace to maintain higher level of heat in that room. You can hang a blanket across the arch. Make sure you close all curtains as well!
Good luck! Check in when you can.:love:

We had a wood stove growing up and when it got too cold, we closed off most of the house. Basically any room that doesn't have water, shut it up. Open the cabinet doors under the kitchen and bathroom sink (but leave the water runnng a bit) and make an adventure out of it. Bring mattresses into the room with the fireplace, throw the couch cushions on the floor and "camp out". Any outside doors, put something across the bottom to keep the drafts out, close curtains, anything you can do to maintain what heat is there. I've been there done that so I'm thinking of you. Keep warm!

RobinD

I can relate with no furance! We had this happen more than one time. Last year it happen and the furnance was only 5 yrs old. Ended up getting a new one but we were lucky this crisis line for low income families they paid for our new furance and for the repair guy to come out as well. Didn't know about the last few times but I found out online. It saved us a bundle. I remember when my daughter was born Dec 1, 1997 and came home and our furance broke down. Luckily it was only the igniter so it cost us $125 and the guy gave us a deal. But bringing home a newborn in that cold weather and myself who had csection due to she was breech. Every time our furance broke down it did it the smack of the cold weather.
Between not having a furance or frozen pipes I don't know which one is worst! But it ***** big time I can relate!

Keep warm, lots of blankets, comforters, layers of clothes and lots of hot coccoa!

our house is very old from 1882 and has no basement just a crawlspace and no attic just another crawlspace. So you can imagine how cold this house can be. We got new windows and new roof. The windows really do keep out the cold air but darn it coming thru the walls and the floors!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Well we survived! Today is the first day I could log back in and I'm not sure how long that will last.

We have heat again!!!! Sunday was cold, cold, cold but we toughed it out. When we woke up Monday morning it was 47 degrees in the house. They had the furnace in by noon and then we started to warm up about 3-4 hours later.

Thanks for all the suggestions-unfortunately because our computer was out I didn't get to read them til tonight. We stayed warm Sunday night with our electric blankets and left some candles burning after our fire went out. Luckily no pipes burst and we did have hot water!

It feels good to be warm again!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Glad you survived. The idea of taking a shower at that temp sends goose bumps up my spine. What was wrong with it?

I have a funny feeling the furnace is going in my mom's house. Of course, the furnace is a gazillion years old. It was old 30yrs ago when they moved in. I have never replaced a furnace. I may need some hints and suggestions.
Can you get a/c with a gas furnace?

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm not sure exactly what was wrong-it just died. It was 20 years old and the last few years we had problems on and off. I think you can get ac/ with a gas furnace because I think my sister did. Hers even game with a dehumidifier! We just had new ac put in a year and a half ago so we didn't do it with the furnace. It's amazing your mom's is still working!

Oh and by the way, I decided it was too cold to take a shower on Sunday-I just couldn't brinng myself to do it!