Went to the High Risk Preggo doctor

nvts

Hi! I haven't posted about the newbie being added to the asylum lately so I figured I'd give an update.

First things first: We know what we're getting. I'm not sure if most of you want to know or not, so let me know and if most want to know I'll either put it in this thread or start a new one like "The New One Is..." and then people can decide to open it or not.

The baby's doing beautifully, perfect length and weight for how far we are (23 weeks this coming Monday) and extremely active. Right now, and throughout most of the day, it's using my bladder as a trampoline. I'm doing the quick run to the potty at least 3 times a night.

My blood sugars have been pretty good, so they're very happy with my "health" as well. The only down side is the swelling in my legs and feet.

Oh, and ladies, I've lost 6 pounds now - but I have to say, this is not a weight loss method that I'd suggest to most! ;)

difficult child 1 has been a real handful and difficult child 2 has been a little more emotional than usual. difficult child 3 is beaming all the time because she'll soon be a big "stister".

This one seems to be quite a joker. The last time I went in for my regular OB checkup, the little bugger was jumping around all over the place. Just as I get up on the table for a quick sonogram, it (the baby) goes dead still and isn't moving. He starts to do the sono and can't find a heartbeat. I'm watching him get more and more panicky, and I say in my most stern "mom-voice" - "Now this baby was bouncing around like a lunatic just before I got on the table - WHAT DID YOU DO?"

He sounded like a little kid "I didn't DO ANYTHING!" I burst out laughing, told him to move down about 2 inches and he'd get the heartbeat. He did and everything was fine, but I was laughing my butt off!

Beth

mstang67chic

Going Green
Sounds like things are going great! And I don't know about anyone else but I wanna know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That poor sonogram tech.....too funny!

Jena

Wow i haven't been here in a while....... i'm so happy for you, that's great! I didn't even know you were expecting.

Congratulations!! :)

TerryJ2

Beth, if they could do sonograms while we're walking around they'd be a lot easier. That tech was lucky he got an experienced mom. :)
I love difficult child 3's comment about the stister. Too cute!

Andy

I am glad things are going so well!

I never felt easy child at all during that pregnancy and the one time that I felt difficult child was during a check up. He was racing all over the place and the student doctor couldn't catch him. :)

I really believe that getting up in the middle of the night for bathroom is getting out bodies ready for those all important middle of the night bonding time. By the time our angel arrives, it is a habit to be up at all hours thus taking away some of the frustrations of little sleep.

dreamer

How EXCITING.of course, I am also just very excited cuz you are so close to where easy child is.....LOL.
easy child finds out if she is haveing a boy or girl Tuesday. Everyone except me here wants to know, so even tho I do not want to know, they will inform me. :-( (I like surprises)
This will be PCs 5th ultrasound and while the bay IS moving around like crazy in there, and was waving little hands on week 16, easy child swears she cannot feel the baby at all. We had one ultrasound extra becuz at doctor appointment, doctor could not get the heartbeat at all....even tho just a couple days prior the heartbeat nearly galloped from across the room almost before doppler even touched easy child. It was such a scary time from that doctor appointment till that ultrasound the next day.
I have a couple questions for ya...cuz my last child was 13 years ago, even tho easy child is at the same doctor I used....I know things change with time.
Hmm..if you are diabetic you might not know this one.but they have no checked easy child for gestational diabetes, and I am concerned- BUT maybe becuz of her hyperemesis and constant dehydration and IV rehydrations, maybe that would skew the results anyway? do you know when they usually test?
ANd- I am very freaked about fact that my easy child is 20 weeks and STILL has nt been examined.......at all.....yes, she has a high risk doctor due to hyperemesis and also genetic factors....plus she has always been this docs patient and this doctor IS THE hi risk doctor for our area....and as hi risk, she has been going weekly the whole preg, since she first found out when she was like 3 weeks preg. Many weeks she was seen 2 or 3 times a week.....plus all her hospitalizations already...They do lab work every time and check urine everytime...and blood pressure....and weight (she lost nearly 40 pounds, she is only 5 ft 3...and was not big pre preg) then she finally gained 4 pounds, and now lost a pound. This is her 4th or 5th ultrasound. BUT she has NEVER had a pap, NEVER.never had a pelvic AT ALL....the doctor has NEVER looked at her breasts....and easy child was on the Pill by this doctor for over a year before she got preg. When dr Rx'ed Yaz, doctor told me about both my daughters she would do a pap 2 years after starting Yaz, even tho both daughters had said they were active. When easy child became preg, doctor first said "not yet" and ever since then she has said it is becuz easy child has been so ill. doctor has not measured fundus, and has never seen easy child without all her clothes on.
we actually considered going out of area to the next nearest hi risk doctor, but NO other docs we called would accept easy child - saying becuz she is hi risk, they feel they are too far away.

I hang in here mostly becuz so far every ultrasound has looked fine, good.
And- when did you begin to feel baby move? All of us are getting impatient, LOL- poor easy child.we all want to be able to feel her baby.

I am so glad your sugars seem to be good and everything seems to be going well. LOL, I have been walking around singing little kid songs, driving my kids nuts, LOL. Baby is not even here and difficult child today wanted to buy PCs baby a rubber duckie potty seat! LOL!

THat is SOOOcute "stister" LOL.

F

flutterbee

I'm glad to hear that everything is progressing nicely. :D

Oh...and I want to know, too!

Marguerite

I love playing with techs.

When I was expecting easy child I was in hospital for three weeks before her birth due to placental insufficiency. I was having ultrasounds and fetal monitors almost daily while they tracked not only her heartbeat but also her movement. Every second day was another blood test so when the hormone levels began to drop, it was time to get the baby out.

So when these checks become routine you try to find things to talk about. One day the sonographer was running the probe thingie over my tummy as usual and waiting for me to report movements when we began talking about our various jobs. I was working with animals at the time so she mentioned that her boyfriend did too. "He's practising animal husbandry," she told me.
Without even thinking and remembering a line from Tom Lehrer, I flashed right back with, "And have they caught him at it yet?"

She had to re-start the monitoring session, she was laughing so hard.

Like the time I was trying to describe my bladder problem to a hospital doctor as "similar to prostate trouble". The doctor went to great pains to explain WHY a woman doesn't have a prostate. Um, yeah, I do know that doctor, but how else can I describe how it seems?

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
Glad things are mostly going well.

I wanna know!!! Boy or girl????? Niece or nephew for us board Aunties!!!

IF you want to post which one, of course. IF you want to keep it a secret, then we will just have to start a pool!!

Hugs!

Beth,

I want to know whether our "board family" is having a boy or a girl!!! PLEASE fill us in!!!

Mstang, (At least I think it was you - Didn't you learn it's not nice to tease the rest of us this way??? LOL!!!)

Should we be thinking blue or pink??? WFEN

nvts

Dreamer! So glad she's feeling better! Here's the answers to the questions via my experience. To be honest - this is supposed to be a fun time for all of you. If you have concerns, questions or issues, write 'em down and force the high risk to answer them. If they start speaking in medical "tongues" and you don't feel satisfied, ask again and again and again. Peace of mind is cheap if you're pushy, and you're paying for the full hour whether you get it or not! ;)

me

I have a couple questions for ya...cuz my last child was 13 years ago, even tho easy child is at the same doctor I used....I know things change with time.
Hmm..if you are diabetic you might not know this one.but they have no checked easy child for gestational diabetes, and I am concerned- BUT maybe becuz of her hyperemesis and constant dehydration and IV rehydrations, maybe that would skew the results anyway? do you know when they usually test?

a. they're probably not doing the glucose tolerance test because they're "dipping her urine" at every office visit. When they collect the sample they take a little stick and put it in the urine which (depending on the type of stick) tests for sugar or protein in the urine which is the indicator for gestational diabetes. Trust me, I hated taking that glucose test (had an over-zealous medication student order the test with difficult child 2 - didn't listen to the fact that I'm type 1 diabetic and would show a positive no matter what!). Tell easy child to let the dr. know if she's super tired after she eats, has an increase in the amount of urine she's letting go of, or is extremely thirsty all the time. These are often signs and symptoms.

ANd- I am very freaked about fact that my easy child is 20 weeks and STILL has nt been examined.......at all.....yes, she has a high risk doctor due to hyperemesis and also genetic factors....plus she has always been this docs patient and this doctor IS THE hi risk doctor for our area....and as hi risk, she has been going weekly the whole preg, since she first found out when she was like 3 weeks preg. Many weeks she was seen 2 or 3 times a week.....plus all her hospitalizations already...They do lab work every time and check urine everytime...and blood pressure....and weight (she lost nearly 40 pounds, she is only 5 ft 3...and was not big pre preg) then she finally gained 4 pounds, and now lost a pound. This is her 4th or 5th ultrasound. BUT she has NEVER had a pap, NEVER.never had a pelvic AT ALL....the doctor has NEVER looked at her breasts....and easy child was on the Pill by this doctor for over a year before she got preg. When dr Rx'ed Yaz, doctor told me about both my daughters she would do a pap 2 years after starting Yaz, even tho both daughters had said they were active. When easy child became preg, doctor first said "not yet" and ever since then she has said it is becuz easy child has been so ill. doctor has not measured fundus, and has never seen easy child without all her clothes on.
we actually considered going out of area to the next nearest hi risk doctor, but NO other docs we called would accept easy child - saying becuz she is hi risk, they feel they are too far away.

a. Thank God my OB hasn't seen me without all my clothes! Jeez louize - he'd run screaming into the night! lol! I wouldn't worry too much about not having a pelvic until about the (and I'm reaching for exact weeks) 28th or 30th week to do a swab for herpes and other std's. Certain std's can really make a mess of a baby that is going to be delivered vaginally (horrible complications some which can kill the baby) when the baby passes through the canal. Right now, since she's not showing any type of amniotic fluid leaks or leaks around the mucus plug, they don't often want to go digging if they don't need to.

And- when did you begin to feel baby move? All of us are getting impatient, LOL- poor easy child.we all want to be able to feel her baby.

a. now this one can be a little tricky. If you think about it, we've all watched tv and seen women jump and say "ooooh, it's kicking!" or "quick, put your hand on my belly right here - feel it move?". This early on, that's not what it feels like (at least for me!). We have to keep in mind that nature (blessedly!) is gradual a lot of the times.

Tell easy child to relax after she eats something sweet or spicy OR certain sounds can activate the "lil' bugger". My husband's voice and my Father's voice get this little one jumping. It doesn't feel like a jump though - it's sort of like, well, remember when you were little and you'd turn a cup upside-down in the bathtub and slowly let the air slip out by little-by-little tipping the cup? It feels like you're doing that - but inside your abdomen. Then she'll start to see a pattern and then as the baby gets bigger, she'll start feeling actual kicks and full movement - but remember - no one is the same, she may not feel the full-court press going on - it may just end up a roller that does things slowly. According to most of what I read, this starts up anywhere from 18 weeks to 23. I only really started the "bubbles" around a week ago.

I hope this helps! Tell "dad" to try speaking into the microphone (my kids name now for my belly button). That might stir the little one up!

Beth

dreamer

Beth- Thank you. :)
20 yrs of GFGdom and my memory has faded some. :) My girls have several friends who have just had babies, but those girls are --busy with the babies- and easy child has been so sick she does not see anyone much......so it is nice to have someone for me to hear how their preg is going, cuz MY associates sure are not haveing any babies, now, LOL.
That is so sweet- "your microphone"?