We've had a good run, but...

tiredmommy

Duckie's asthma is acting up for the first time since early last fall. She seems to be catching a chest cold (me too) and her peak flow numbers are tanking. Here we go. :(

T

TeDo

Praying, pretzeling and rattling that things don't get any worse. Do you think this funky winter weather has anything to do with it?

tiredmommy

Thanks HD, nebulizer is out of the closet and ready to go...

Witz~ Are you referring to my "wonderful" birthday? If so, let me assure you that I'm not finished with him yet. ;)

TeDo~ Really, I just think our number is up. Duckie does a great job with hand-washing and uses hand sanitizer in her classroom since there's no sink. Her teacher even says that Duckie has the other kids following her example of personal hygiene and healthier eating. We've had a few very colds this school year but we've finally caught one.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's that time of year!

husband has been coughing with bronchitis from a virus he started 3 weeks ago and is on his second round of antibiotics because of the sinus infection and gunk in his lungs that just won't go away (chest xray was clear).

difficult child 1 is going on his second week with his horrible cough that's turned to bronchitis and is on round 1 of antibiotics, plus his inhaler and advair twice daily. He's missed 5 days of school over the past 2 weeks.

difficult child 2 and easy child both caught the bug but did not develop the cough... and their nasal congestion is much milder. They both missed a couple days of school last week.

And I can't tell if I've got the milder cold or if it's allergies (which is what I'm leaning towards) because I feel fine but I've got the post-nasal drip going and my throat is itchy.

I am SICK of the SICKIES HERE!!!

DammitJanet

I have the cough and the stuffy nose. The kids have run through it now starting with Hailie back before Xmas and it has been running through us slowly since then. I have been attempting to stay far, far away hoping it was the flu because I actually got my flu shot and none of the others did. Keyana didnt have it thankfully. Cory came down next because he caught something when he took the baby to the pediatricians office one time. Then came Billy who then came into my room and breathed all over my room. I was like...get away! My immune system doesnt work well at all...lol. So far all Tony had come down with is some coughing but I am expecting more soon. Sigh.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Funny thing I just realized, and I have no idea if this is just coincidence, but of our 5 family members who've been exposed to this bug, the two who got it the WORST are the two who DON'T have their tonsils anymore. Coincidence? Maybe...

tiredmommy

Duckie bounced back a little last night after doubling her maintenance medication and a breathing treatment last night but is still in rough shape this morning. I'm still sending her in today, poor kid.

gcvmom~ I can't tell if allergies are involved or not: we've never stayed below freezing for more than two days this winter so there may still be some minor pollinating going on. I can't imagine what spring will be like.

Janet~ We're exposed constantly through school, Duckie's activities and my part time job. We're constantly sick. :ill:

tiredmommy

Well, don't I feel stupid?!?!?! Duckie left me a note with her peak flow number last night since I was working late (husband was home with her).

I read it wrong.

I thought her numbers were a full 100 points higher than they actually were.

So I called the allergy/asthma doctor, whose office was closed today. They called back and wanted to start her on prednisone but they also wanted her seen by our family doctor since she had such a dramatic drop, got a 10:30 appointment. Of course she was already at school so I had to scramble to get her out of class and to the doctor.

:(

tiredmommy

Thank you. So she's home and driving me batty... not enough quality sleep makes for a talkative Duckie. And the steroid isn't even affecting her attitude yet. It's going to be a very long weekend.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Things may not be pollinating much yet, but with all moisture from snow, you could have mold. I know for us, mold is the biggest culprit for our respiratory issues. There's LOTS of mold in the produce department of grocery stores -- if difficult child 1 is having even mild asthma issues, all it takes for a full-blown attack is to have him walk into a grocery store.

Hopefully the pediatrician got her started on some pred to get things under control.

cubsgirl

I just typed a long reply and lost it (sigh). I hope Duckie feels better ASAP. As a fellow asthmatic I know how crazy the steroids can make you feel. Praying for a quick recovery.

tiredmommy

Thank you. She seems to be slowly bouncing back. She think it's because of the yummy Italian sausage soup I made for dinner; she's looking forward to having leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Star*

call 911........call 911
SO sorry that duckmaster is under the weather - but I think that's just it -

I NEVER get sick. Never never. About a month ago one of the co-workers called in and sounded so bad you would have sworn he was faking it. He came in the next day and looked awful. Obviously not faking it. Two days later, another guy got what the sick guy had. A week later despite taking left over (i know i know) antibiotics for a week I got it. This is the worst sinus thing I have ever had. I think I've sneezed and snarked buckets of snot. NEVER in my life have I used three boxes of kleenex for one cold. Now it's in my chest nearly a month later. Everyone at work has it - customers have it. It's like the crud that won't go away. I'm using Mucinex and Robitussin - and still - hack.

JJust saying.....maybe it's the same bug and NOT asthma. And of course - the soup......always the soup. It's about all I want to eat right now. So hugs to you and the duck.

(lysol, hand sanitizer, and kleenex dreams)

tiredmommy

Star~ I've had the same cold as the Duck... the post nasal drip was so bad that my bronchial tubes and throat were inflamed; I imagine it's been about 100 times worse for an asthmatic.

HaoZi~ We don't know that. I've just seen some coincidences between an uptick in behavior and strep outbreaks. No proof there, though.