Whaddaya know? He did everything on the list

TerryJ2

For the past few days, difficult child has been extremely contentious. I seem to be making it worse. So I've been trying to back off, using the microwave timer, cutting thing into small chores instead of rifling off a list, etc.
He lost a lot of things from his rm last wk for breaking a window and otherwise exploding, and of course, wanted to earn back his wrestling men, rather than practical things like a pillow.
The other night I found him with-my pillow ... he had taken it off my bed. Mean Mom that I am, I took it from him and quietly told him he had to earn it back. He got mad but was too tired to argue, and fell asleep.
As husband and I were getting ready to go out on our date night last night, difficult child got angrier and angrier and argued with-everything. So I made a list of chores, incl. sweeping the leaves out of the garage in order to earn back a pillow. He flat out refused to do it, LOUDLY, and I just walked out the door.

When we got home, I found a broom outside the garage, and the dogs had been brought back in and fed, and his homework was done. I asked difficult child what the balled up, scribbled, shredded piece of paper was on the kitchen table.
It was his list of chores that he had finished. :)
Yaaay! So, he was still ticked and had taken it out on the list, but that is NOT a problem, LOL.
I have to keep reminding myself to step back and let him do it in his own time. And, I have to remember he likes lists and hates my voice. Too bad I'm not a robot.

Oh, we increased his Adderal 5 mg. and there's not much of a difference. He's got a dr appointment. next wk. for his camp physical and we can talk about it in depth then.

SRL

Written language strategies are really encouraged for kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) who were precocious readers (Hyperlexia). I've seen videos of kids who would totally ignore verbal instructions but who were almost magnetically attracted to the same information in written form.

trinityroyal

That's great Terry.

It's quite delightful that, although your difficult child beat the tar out of his chore list, he still managed to finish everything. (My difficult child used to beat up on his checklists too.)

Trinity

TerryJ2

Thank you.
SRL, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), meaning Asperger's, right?
I keep coming back to that ...

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Terry,
That's awesome!! I'll have to try that with mine! It must have been such a relief to come home to that!!