What can I do to help difficult child's insomnia?

StressedM0mma

She has been saying it has been going on for 3 weeks now. She told psychiatrist at her last appointment., and the psychiatrist's response was to give her Trazadone, even after I explained that I didn;t think that was the answer. I told psychiatrist when she had this happen before, she was given klonipin, and it made her mean. Well, guess what happened with the trazadone?? Yep. One unstable nasty teen. (and prior to that we have been doing great)
We have tried melatonin, and it gives her vivid scary dreams. (me too). I have an appointment. with her primary doctor for friday, and just bought valerian root, but any other ideas would be great

InsaneCdn

Is she having trouble getting to sleep? or is it more trouble staying asleep?
Trouble staying asleep... can sometimes be helped by white noise, so that you don't "hear" things in your sleep when you are sleeping lightly to start with.

What is she drinking before she goes to bed? Warm milk with honey and a hint of ginger helps some people. Most other drinks interfere with sleep.

StressedM0mma

IC, she says it is both falling and staying asleep. At first I thought it was just another "difficult child" thing for attention. But, people have made comment on how exhausted she looks, and one night last week, she was so tired that she was in her room just sobbing. She wanted to sleep so badly and she just couldn't. I was actually seeing "old difficult child" coming out. I knew it was because she was so tired, but I really didn't like it. I have offered her white noise. I don't think that she is waking up because of noise though. She has 2 fans running on high to block out noise. Hopefully between valerian root, and the Dr. we can figure this out.

InsaneCdn

Who says she has to sleep in bed? When I get so I can't sleep... I go to the recliner, and curl up there with a good pillow and a warm quilt. By sleeping partially elevated, somehow it makes a difference.

Does she go to bed on the early side? or late?
What is her pre-bed routine? (if she doesn't have one, it's part of the problem)

StressedM0mma

I could care less where she sleeps. She has fallen asleep on the chair before, and I just make sure she is warm, and covered up, and leave her there. She goes to bed around 10-11 at night. I don't think that is late at all. She usually skypes with her boyfriend (he lives out of state) for a little bit, and then gets her dog turns her fans on, and goes to sleep. It has just been just the past few weeks. Before that she was doing GREAT. The night she just sobbed, I made her go downstairs and sleep on the sofa. I tried to explain that a change of location would help, but she was "stuck" once I got her to go down there, she fell asleep almost immediately.
Tonight is her first dose of Valerian Root. So we will see if that helps. She is down here

dstc_99

Our psychiatrist suggested Alteril. It is a combo of valerian, melatonin, and a third ingredient I can't remember. I would check into that and see if a combo of the valerian and that third ingredient I can't remember the name of.

Californiablonde

difficult child's psychiatrist suggested Alteril for her too, but unfortunately it didn't work for her. For my daughter nothing but a good dose of an antipsychotic helps her sleep, and unfortunately we are going through a medication change right now so not even that is helping her. I can feel your pain. Best of luck to you and her.

StressedM0mma

Is Alteril over the counter or is it a prescription? I will see what the Dr. says on Friday at her appointment. She says the Valerian did nothing, but that is standard for her. You know, the "nothing works for me" attitude. It can work on 99.999% of the population, but it won't work for her. And, we had a talk about how lying there saying I am never going to fall asleep, I can't sleep, I am always awake, I am so tired, but will never sleep. Is going to keep you awake. I swear. It is not fun.

dstc_99

Its OTC. I think we found it at Walgreens but now we just buy it on post since we are military. I don't remember looking elsewhere for it.

PS: It stinks and easy child hates that but it works so she takes it.
:smile:

Californiablonde

I got ours at CVS and it cost about $15 for a two week supply. It's worth a shot. It has a good dose of melatonin in it plus the valerian and something else that I can't remember the name of. Good luck.