Marguerite

difficult child 3 also has a hard time recognising that "mere" anxiety could make him feel so bad. He has a hard time believing it.

We were given breathing exercises - breathe in for six seconds, breathe out for six seconds, hands on diaphragm area to feel the tummy push out with each breath to make sure the breathing is from the right place.

It's not full-on hypnotherapy, but for us it was a start. He's been a lot better since we began the correspondence schooling.

Marg

tessaturtle

ML,
I can say that the therapeutic day school that difficult child has been attending for the past year and a half has been working many wonders! Also, one of the biggest positive changes was the most recent psychiatric hospital stay (occurs pretty much every winter). They were able to hit on the right combo of medications for the first time in a long line of medication trials for difficult child. He is at the highest level of functioning on these medications than he has ever been. Yes, he is still oppositional at times (a behavioral thing) and has started to become a little physical and impulsive and prone to melt down lately, but we have learned very well the signs of when his medications need tweaking. Sometimes, the dosage wears off due to difficult child physically growing, but it was explained to us that their brains get used to the intervention of the medication and start to overcome it, therefor increases might be needed.

I would encourage you to think about, instead of switching one medication completely for another, to consider adding a medication or two if need be to the original. In our case, the hospital did try the one medication, and then had to add two more (over time) until it reached the desired help. For difficult child it is guanfacine (tenex) for adhd symptoms, carbamazapine (tegretol) for bipolar symptoms (mood disregulation, mania), and abilify for bipolar symptoms (aggression, anger, irritability).

Of course, every child is different, but I just wanted to give you our piece of the pie :)
Good luck!

Marguerite

We've just increased difficult child 3's medications, because we realised his dose hadn't been increased for four years and he's almost twice the size he was four years ago. Puberty also speeds up metabolism, and this can lead to a greater medication dose needed.

Marg

I am not sure about the medications anymore! Of course we are not dealing with anxiety.

What works. Hmm. Well, coming here has been my saving grace. Reading and believing that I am not the only one with a kid like this, and I am not a bad mom because of it either. The simple fact that I have the opportunity to voice my concerns about my child without being judged. Being able to read others' experience. Sharing ideas (hey, what this thread is all about after all!) And taking what I learn here and applying it in order to improve our quality of life.

I can't imagine not having this place to come to.