What is your ADD child like?

I have read the symptoms of ADD, but exactly what is it like to have a child with ADD? Personally what is your child like?

I am wondering if my daughter might be but she isn't hyper or impulsive at all, so could it be ADD? I won't go into detail about her problem but I am wondering what its like for you guys who have an ADD child.

Thanks!
Jessica

Well, there are 2 different disorders.

ADD is attention deficit disorder. There is nothing in there about being hyper.

ADHD is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. it is ADD plus the extra added bonus of being hyper.

A child with ADD could have trouble focusing, may tend to daydream. Seems like he/she is not paying attention. I heard t explained once that it felt like they were watching TV, but that they had 5 channels on all at the same time. Their brains have a difficult time organizing thought.

Now, take a child who has that, add impulsiveness, inability to sit still, can't ever finish anything they have started, the constant need to make noise...well, then you have MY child. Those are some of the things that you could attribute to hyperactivity.

A child does NOT have to be hyper to have ADD.

Sheila

Your signature indicates your difficult child 1 is impulsive, hyper and inattentive, e.g., ADHD Combined. Are you referring to your 5 yr old?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/ breaks out the different types of ADHD symptoms.

The year 2000 Diagnostic & Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR) provides criteria for diagnosing ADHD. The criteria are presented here in modified form in order to make them more accessible to the general public. They are listed here for information purposes and should be used only by trained health care providers to diagnose or treat ADHD.

DSM-IV Criteria for ADHD
I. Either A or B:

Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Inattention

Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.

Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.

Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.

Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).

Often has trouble organizing activities.

Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).

Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).

Is often easily distracted.

Is often forgetful in daily activities.

Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have been present for at least 6 months to an extent that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Hyperactivity

Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat.

Often gets up from seat when remaining in seat is expected.

Often runs about or climbs when and where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may feel very restless).

Often has trouble playing or enjoying leisure activities quietly.

Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor".

Often talks excessively.

Impulsivity

Often blurts out answers before questions have been finished.

Often has trouble waiting one's turn.

Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games).

Some symptoms that cause impairment were present before age 7 years.

Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g. at school/work and at home).

There must be clear evidence of significant impairment in social, school, or work functioning.

The symptoms do not happen only during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder. The symptoms are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder).

Based on these criteria, three types of ADHD are identified:

ADHD, Combined Type: if both criteria 1A and 1B are met for the past 6 months

ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Type: if criterion 1A is met but criterion 1B is not met for the past six months

ADHD, Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: if Criterion 1B is met but Criterion 1A is not met for the past six months.

American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision. Washington, Difficult Child, American Psychiatric Association, 2000.

ADHD can look different in girls compared to boys. I think there may be some information in the General Forum Archives pertinent to this issue. Also, try researching at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ADHD+in+girls&btnG=Google+Search

Sheila

by the way, you'll get more responses to your thread in the General Forum -- traffic volume is higher. If you want me to move it, let me know.

The co-moderator in this forum has a child with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). She can probably give you her experiences re: Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). There may be other parents with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) that frequent the General Forum. Let me know if you want your Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) thread moved to the General Forum also.