What to expect at a mental health assesment.

Arlea

I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect. For some reason, I am quite nervous about this? Is his self esteem going to take a hit because of this? I worry that he will feel different? Maybe I am just overthinking it?

keista

I say you're over thinking. Just like going to a regular dr, but you keep your clothes on, and NO shots! For psychiatrist or therapist, it will be lots and lots of questions. Answer honestly, and as clearly as possible - I tend to get really "talky" and have to offer up several examples of each behavior etc. Sometimes I confuse them - not good. But the god ones are used to that and manage to decipher everything.

Arlea

Hi Ladies,

He is being seen by a childhood therapist/mental health assesor. She is local in my small town.
She is through Family community support services????
Well naturally I am still worried but good to know there will be no poking or proding!
Wish me luck!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
No hit to your little one ~ really. It's generally questions about behaviors, thought processes - age appropriate of course. Talk of rages or meltdowns will be asked as well as frustrations levels. There may be seemingly very personal questions; answer them as honestly as possible. I'm sure there will be observation time & getting to know your difficult child.

This assessment may lead to a thorough neuropsychologist exam.

The tweedles have been thru this time & again as they've gotten older. I'm blatantly honest & do not make excuses for the tweedles behaviors. It's all to due with their diagnosis's.

JJJ

My kids actually liked the assessment when they were that little. It just seems like a play-date to them (at least here, for a 6 year old the evaluator plays toys with them while talking and they record the interview so they can take notes later.)

Arlea

Well you all were right my difficult child had a good time playing with toys and being the center of attention.
She diagnosed him with what she thinks is Adjustment disorder and conduct disorder, however she says he may be adhd but we are waiting for a few more visits.
Play therapy weekly and apparently I should discipline him like any other child (even though it does not work)
I feel a bit better for now, till the next incident I guess. Met with his school today and they seem to be willing to work with me, I guess time will tell becasue they all seem a little unsure of how to deal with it, although so am I at times!
Thanks for the support everyone, its truly appreciated.