What was your favorite age?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
This is an off-shoot to the "Do you miss being needed" thread. I can't resist. It's so fun to read your memories and I am feeling somewhat sentimental tonight.

Rob adored me when he was 4. He moved in when he was two weeks short of being 3 and we adopted him at 4. At 4 his world began and ended with his "MOM." He had all the earmarks of the challenges ahead but they hadn't fully blossomed yet. And at 4 we would giggle together over silliness, and at 4 he liked to snuggle, and at 4 his tantrums were still *dear*.

At 4, almost 5, we flew from Spokane to San Diego so he could meet our friends from our childhood. He sat between us on that flight. When we landed in San Diego the woman who was sitting in front of us turned around and said to then-husband and me, "It was wonderful listening to how you talked to your son and listening to you interact because so many parents yell at their kids these days." It blew our minds because we couldn't imagine NOT talking to Rob in a loving fashion.

Little did we know about the years to come.

And so I will always love the age of 4. It was pure and loving and relatively uncomplicated and wonderful. Remembering 4 kept my love for Rob strong even during the really dark days later on.

Thank goodness for 4.

How about you?

Susie

With Copper, it was coincidentally also age 4.

She was 3 when I took her to live with me. She had been with my mom from the time she was an infant while I drugged and later while I rehabbed. Shortly after we got our very own place, she turned 4.

I remember watching her sing songs with sign language to go with it at her preschool "graduation". That was the year that she called her earmuffs her "ear muffins". She also described the feeling of her feet falling asleep as them having crumbs on them. Oh, and the year that she made a nativity scene, with Mary, "Jofes", "Jeebus", and the "martians". Nobody knows why, but that is what she called the shepherds.

And of course, this was the year that she caught me naked in the bathroom, and after a quick explanation, she asked me if Uncle Mike had hair on HIS vagina too.

Now Tink...I have not had a favorite year yet. Well, I guess all the way up until she could talk, the little smarty-pants.

Check with me when she is 18.

meowbunny

5-6 was it for me. She was bright, funny, articulate. Ages 3 and 4 weren't a lot of fun here. I had to teach her how to be a little girl and laugh and giggle. But by 5, the rages were down to one hour at the most, she could play, be silly, laugh honestly and make the biggest messes I could ever imagine!

I still remember going to lie down with a migraine, getting up and debating whether to laugh or to cry when I saw my kitchen -- she wanted to surprise me and bake a cake (she was supposed to be napping, the little twerp). No bowl, but flour, eggs, water, milk, hershey's kisses, food coloring all over the floor, the table, the cabinets, the sink (actually had to get a new garbage disposal it was so gooped up). It took 4 days to clean it all up and I still found some of her messes over a month later, but it really was cute. Oh, forgot to mention, she looked like a mummy minus the wrapping and was rainbow colored to boot!

There were the moments when I wanted to cry in frustration but most of the time it was just pure fun. By 7, a hatred of school had begun and the lying and stealing had begun.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I love reading these too.

With easy child it was at age 2. She was the most cheerful toddler ever created. lol She'd coming running into our room each morning and jump on the bed and say,"Mornin' Mommy!" with a southern accent of all things. :rofl:

With Travis it would be age 3. It was then, while I was pregnant with Nichole that he declared he only wanted a baby sister, no brother. Then preceeded to adore her without wavering for a moment for years following. The lil guy who tripped over his own toes, walked into walls and doors, could withdrawl into himself so far he couldn't be reached, and rage at a moment's notice could show only kindness, love, and tenderness when it came to his little sis.

With Nichole it was 18 months. She was sooo cute, a snuggly baby, happy, and loved every creature God ever created. Literally. At 18 months Nichole was just as certain everyone loved her just as much. She used to walk over to the neighbor's house, knock on the door, and expect to be fed whatever neighbor lady happened to be cooking. :rofl: Neighbor lady was always cooking, always listen for that tiny knock at her door (it was the same time everyday), and always had something new for Nichole to taste.

After that age came the mood swings. :surprise:

Kathy813

Staff member
difficult child was a easy child up until 13 so I would say any time up to that. As far as family memories go, I would say my favorite time was when difficult child was 7 and easy child was 4. We went to Washington, Difficult Child on vacation and had the best time.

I also enjoyed dressing them up in matching dresses for Christmas and Easter all the way through elementary school. Unfortunately, they don't remember that all that fondly.

I really have great memories of difficult child from babyhood up through elementary school. I'm just trying to forget from period of time from 8th grade up until the last few months.

:rofl:

easy child has always been a joy.

~Kathy

jamrobmic

One of my favorite mental pics is of difficult child at 18 months, walking up to the Christmas tree and sniffing the lights as if they were flowers. However, my favorite age for him I think was 5. He was in kindergarten, and I was so worried he would hate it, because he had never been away from me (he was also definitely a mommy's boy), but he absolutely loved it. He never wanted to stay home, even when he was sick. He loved books, and we would buy a new one every week to read together. I bought him his own Christmas ornament every year, and that year, he wanted to pick it out himself. The one he chose was two kitties sitting in a porch swing, with their arms around each other, and it said, "Our Christmas Together." That pretty much summed him up at age 5-he was such a little sweetheart who wore his heart on his sleeve. I haven't lost hope I'll see some of that sweetness again someday, but it seems pretty deeply buried for now.

DammitJanet

Hmmmm....trying to think here.

With Billy it would have to be as a toddler when he could entertain himself for hours with his building toys and matchbox cars. He was such a good child...lol.

The other two boys were much more active and kept me exhausted until we hit organized sports and that became what we lived for. They were so adorable out there. I loved all the sports. I was team mom so many times. I loved the ages from 6 to 12 I guess. Puberty killed me. They didnt want momma anymore...lol.

witzend

I'm enjoying L at this age right now. I think I am a better parent than I was when she was younger.

I miss M when he was 4, as well. He seemed happy. He was terribly unhappy before then. He was unhappy after. But for a brief moment when he was 4ish, he was helpful, and he thought about others.

K

Kjs

Between 9 months and 12 months. before he could talk. (hasn't stopped since 15 months) He would look at things and act. Ex: he would see the pepper shaker and sneeze-pretend. He would see the cookie jar(was a duck at the time) and he would quack like a duck. He always made us laugh though...still does.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Under 5. He was a handful but a cheery kid. Once school started there weren't too many cheery days.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dude started talking when he was 7 mos. old. By the time he was 1 year old he was putting together 3&4 word sentences. By the time he was 18 months we were actually talking back and forth and he was SO SO very sweet. He adored me and I him at that age. And he was such a funny kid.

One time in a grocery store he asked for sherbert pops and we were on a tight budget. He was taught to say "Can we afford this?" and if the answer was no - no fuss. Well this particular day he asked for the popsicles and I said "I'm sorry we cant get those today" and he threw his hands up and out and said loudly "Okay Mommy I know - because we have NO MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!" It was hysterical, and a lady actually came up and handed us the money so he could have his sherbert pops.

-He still makes me laugh when no one else can.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh brother, I can't remember any particular time with easy child that was better than the last. I am really loving the relationship we share right now. And I have the greatest memories from when she was a baby and toddler. For easy child, I can only point out the diffifult moments and those were between 14 and 17 - weren't even that bad at all really, but the rest was cake!

My fondest memories and time spent with difficult child was when she was little - between 2-7, she was a cutie, very funny and entertaining. She just had the most adorable personality. And despite her behaviors RIGHT NOW we are in fact enjoying a closer relationship these days so even though I'd like to pop her head off at times, right now is pretty special too.

I have always relished watching my girls grow, even if it was painful at times.

Oh, and the year that she made a nativity scene, with Mary, "Jofes", "Jeebus", and the "martians". Nobody knows why, but that is what she called the shepherds.
How adorable.

Say, the Martians could be the multitude of the heavenly host, couldn't they?

My favorite time with easy child 1 -- the last three or four years. Every day when I come home from work she positively lights up, hollers "Papa!" and comes running to give me a hug. We play "ponies" where we role play with her collection of plastic ponies ("Papa, you have to be holding the pony when you make her talk!"; "Papa, that's a girl pony, she has to talk in a girl voice" (you don't want to hear my version of a girl voice, but it's good enough for her)) and we play "restaurant" where I am the customer and she is the waitress. She made up Chili's menus the other day, with all the drinks listed:

CHILES
rob dere
limnade
biit coke
choktilit milk
sermist
woder

(root beer, lemonade, diet Coke, chocolate milk, Sierra Mist, water)

We also play "school", alternating being the teacher, with the other one and her dozens of teddy bears as the students.

Awwwwwwwwwwww!!

The only thing more precious than dads with their little girls is grandpas with their little girls.

CHILES
rob dere
limnade
biit coke
choktilit milk
sermist
woder

too precious.

Save one of those menus. I saved the martians.

Kathy813

Staff member
The nativity story brings back a great memory. easy child was Mary in the Christmas play at our chuch when she was nine. A real baby was used as the baby Jesus during the play. The director had told easy child to pick up the baby from the cradle if she (yes, baby Jesus was a she) started to cry and walk over to the side of the stage and hand her to the mom. She was supposed to be handed a baby doll in return.

Well, sure enough, the baby Jesus started crying and easy child picked her up and walked her over to the side of the stage. They didn't have the baby doll ready though so she just walked back to center stage where the cradle was. One of the children at the side of the stage realized what happened and took it upon himself to remedy the situation. To the audience's total surprise, the baby Jesus came flying through the air and a startled easy child make a great catch (she always was athletic). She calmly put the baby doll into the cradle and went on with the show.

Needless to say, the audience was falling off their chairs because they were laughing so hard.

~Kathy

witzend

Under 5. He was a handful but a cheery kid. Once school started there weren't too many cheery days.

That seems to be a common theme here. School starts and they get miserable.

crazymama30

I don't think I have a favorite age for difficult child, but favorite moments. When easy child was sick a while back he dug thru the cupboard to find the only can of chicken noodle soup and made it for her. When he does his homework without asking (more often than not now!!) and my fave was a couple months ago we were at psychiatrist's office and he had a cat carrier with a semi wild cat in it. He was socializing the cat. The cat came up to difficult child and he calmly and quietly started petting it and did so for the entire time. I keep these moments close as they get me thru the hard times.

easy child can be much more mature. When I get discouraged by going to school and working, I have said this would be easier if I did not go to school. She tells me not to quit. I would not anyways, but it is nice to hear that from her. She has also cleaned the entire bathroom to surprise me.

I think good things occur at all ages.

I am so enjoying these stories! My favorite ages were from about 6 mos. to about 5 yrs. Something about that age range was so special. Everything was so new to them (and me). I loved everything about it except the sleep deprivation. Both kids were a handful, loud and strong willed and into everything, but they were also joyous, loving, affectionate, curious and enthusiastic They were never bored, they loved to hug and kiss and they were a delight. I will always treasure my memories of raising my two kids.

After the teen years started, I thought to myself that the British had it right...send them off to boarding school and come home only for the holidays until they're 18! LOL!