When you get a new diagnosis

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
When you get a new diagnosis or additional diagnosis - do you notify the school? 3 year re-evaluation is coming up. difficult child just got an additional diagnosis of Cognitive Disorder not otherwise specified (visual processing / executive function) after some psychiatric testing we had done. Should I tell them, or share the report entirely, or what? Thanks!

Wiped Out

Staff member
What you decide to share is up to you. We usually share everything as we want them to know what they are working with so they can do their best by difficult child and I do believe they are doing that. However, not all schools are the same.

I can't remember if it was you who said you felt the school was trying to get rid of his iep. If that is true I would probably share the info with the sd because I think that would give them reason enough to continue with his iep.

BusynMember

In the case of your son's diagnosis, I would say yes unless he is already receiving all the supports he needs to succeed and be the best he can be. I would not share, say, ODD or something that the school can not address. But cognitive disorder...most definitely. Does he have an IEP yet?

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Yes, he has an IEP and qualifies under other health impaired for his ADHD. They know his diagnosis's of ADHD and unfortunately ODD. The new psychiatrist said probable ADHD, probable depressive disorder with anxiety, and Cognitive Disorder not otherwise specified (visual processing / executive function). He did not confirm or deny ODD. Yes, it was me who said I feel like the school is trying to disqualify him for Special Education. 3 yr re-evaluation is coming up. They are refusing to evaluate him in all the areas I am asking - saying the team does not feel it is necessary. He has had IEP goals each year, but never completes them. They just keep changing the goals. Uggh.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Does the team feel it isn't necessary because they believe he will still qualify? Last year we waived difficult child's re-evaluation because we all knew he still qualified. However, I thought with the new IDEA laws that they now have to do the re-evaluations (as of Dec. 1). I could be wrong though!

TerryJ2

Yes! I always share info, because no matter how fat that folder is, there is always one teacher who doesn't "get it" and any info helps.
It also helps the teachers who DO get it, and ultimately, helps your difficult child.
In our case, our difficult child has refused several supports so it's kind of the reverse; the teachers and psychiatric are happy to help, but he won't cooperate.

BusynMember

Get an advocate or the school may actually try to kick him out of the IEP pool. They don't play nice with parents, but they are afraid of advocates. Being nice to them does not work. They just step all over your kid. Call your state Dept. of Education in your state and ask for the name of your free special education advocate. Good luck :)

LoonyAlana

I had to battle my older son's school regarding testing him, and occupational therapy, and all kinds of 'issues'. I'm now a believer in sharing as much as humanly possible with the schools, because if you don't have documentation, they will forward their own agenda. Often, their agenda doesn't require occupational therapy (for example) and in my experience they are always looking for ways to NOT have to 'deal' or help students with special situations. Maybe I'm just jaded and bitter, but overall I've felt cheated by the school systems I have dealt with. Then again, that's the same school that essentially kicked out my 5 year old after 3½ weeks of Kindergarten.

Well... basically I support the full disclosure, and documentation path.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
One of my concerns is if I share the detailed testing results, they will think they are not "low enough" to need help.

InsaneCdn

Our diagnostic results always included recommendations... and the recommendations, more than the diagnosis, was what kept school moving in a right direction. If the psychiatrist or evaluation team says he needs a scribe, or sensory breaks, or whatever... it's much harder to fight that than if all you have is the diagnosis.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Does the team feel it isn't necessary because they believe he will still qualify? Last year we waived difficult child's re-evaluation because we all knew he still qualified. However, I thought with the new IDEA laws that they now have to do the re-evaluations (as of Dec. 1). I could be wrong though!

No I don't think that is the case. I think they think he is smart and just a brat and doesn't actually need Special Education. His grades are good and his test scores are good but he has major trouble socially and organizationally. Put it this way, I should be on staff getting paid to keep him organized and on top of his work. Its a fulltime job for me with that and calls home about behavior. He hates school and doesn't want to go. Not. One. Bit.

helpangel

I think the school needs to know... everyone learns differently I have to see it in print to get it , 2 of my kids have to hear it to get it. Yes it's a drag to read the info into a tape recorder to help my kid learn but that's what it takes so my kid gets it. Just as long as they get the info who cares what way they get it; the school needs to know so they can format the info in what ever format is necessary for that student (the I in IEP is for individual)

hope this helps, here for you...
Nancy