When your Social Security check usually arrives on the 3rd - holiday schedule?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by ctmom05, Mar 31, 2010.

1. ctmom05

ctmom05 Member

A family member has been collecting Social Security Disability since late summer. His normally gets auto-deposited on the 3rd of each month. Since the 3rd is a Saturday, it would then show up on Friday. Friday is a holiday, Good Friday; does that mean his check will be in his account on Thursday?
  2. witzend

witzend Well-Known Member

Don't know - we do direct deposit.
  3. ctmom05

ctmom05 Member

He direct deposits too, Witz. I guess my bottom line question is, is the holiday on Friday one that SSA recognizes and does that end up changing the date again?
  4. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Moderator Staff Member

Yep. I was wondering if friday was a holiday myself...lol. I know Easter Monday is a federal holiday considering where I will be but I wasnt sure which day the banks use. If the banks are closed on a holiday then the money goes in on the day before.

Since the third is on Saturday and if Friday is a holiday, then yep, money and checks will be delivered on the first.
  5. witzend

According to the Fed, there's no Federal Holiday on Friday. (Are you guys talking about Good Friday?) So there should be no interruption in deposits. My deposits are on Wednesday, so once in a while Christmas falls on the third Wednesday, but that doesn't affect the deposit. It's all done by computer and they are set up in advance.

http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedules/fedhol/2010.asp

Easter Monday may be a holiday where you are at, but it's not a Federal Holiday and banks and post offices are open as usual.
  6. GoingNorth

GoingNorth Active Member

My VA pension is deposited the day before a Federal Holiday. I get SSDI, but that issue hasn't arisen with that deposit, yet. My guess is that SSDI direct deposit works the same way as the VA deposit does.

VA comes on the first of the month if not a fed holiday. SSDI comes 4th Wednesday of the month.
  7. witzend

GN, now that you mention it, the one time Christmas fell on the 3rd Wednesday it was deposited on the Tuesday. Probably more for my benefit (so I could get it out) than for theirs.
  8. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Moderator Staff Member

Well...this is my understanding.

When I first started getting disability they told me I would get it based on my SSN and that would put me getting my check in the middle of the month however, that only lasted about 6 months and then it switched to getting it on the 3rd of the month every month.

For as long as I have ever known the whole SSA and SSI program to be around, it has always gone out on either the 1st or 3rd of the month depending on which program you were receiving. It was only in the last few years that they attempted to switch to a variable mail date based on SSN and I think that may have proved complicated.

Now I checked with my credit union and while Easter Monday or Good Friday are not Federal Holidays, the credit union will be closed to observe Good Friday and will reopen on Monday. This means that because the deposit was set to be in the account on the second it will be available on the 1st. This is no biggie for the system. They know this is happening.