Where can I get this appraised?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by muttmeister, Oct 3, 2012.

1. muttmeister

muttmeister Well-Known Member

I've been cleaning out my mother's apartment and yesterday I found something neat. It is a gold medal; looks like a coin but is nearly 3 inches in diameter and about 1/4 inch thick. There is a picture of a horse runing on the front and under the grass is some fancy stuff that says in small letters "sports courses." On the back it says "Chartres 1er prix 1907" and a bouguet of oak and other leaves and what looks like a scroll. It is gold colored, but obviously not real gold, but pretty heavy. It is in a nice, velvet lined box with an indentation where it fits tightly.
    My grandparents got married in 1905 and my grandfather did have race horses. I know he took them to Cuba and to Mexico but certainly not to France. I assume it is his but I have no idea exactly what it is or where or how he got it.
    I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm sure there is nobody around here who'd have any idea about it. Does anybody have any idea where I could find out it's history, etc.?
  2. Marcie Mac

Marcie Mac Just Plain Ole Tired

Try Worthpoint.com - they have a 7 day free subscription. I tried looking on Ebay for you - they have tons of medals but couldn't find one of your description

3. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Site Moderator

Could he have travelled to Quebec? Or even Louisiana?
  4. ThreeShadows

ThreeShadows Quid me anxia?

hi, Mutt! Chartres is in France. I will do some research tomorrow. How do you know that it's not gold?