Why, oh why do we..........

Jena

yes, buy the highlighting kit's on sale at the local supermarket, convince ourselves "it'll be ok" I'll get it right this time :)

Yes, I am a victim of the on sale highlighting kit. My hair is the wonderful color of orange, a pretty orange......... too bad it's not halloween.

I had an appointment cancel on me tonight, i was so excited to be able to have a night alone with-both my kids cook them a nice dinner, no other kids in house or boyfriend just the 3 of us. Than I had to go and do the "I can do it" get rid of grey's experiment in the bathroom lol.

just had to jump in say hi, share my orange hair and i hope everyone's well I miss you guys!

ok, so anti up who else has turned their hair an interesting color and fallen prey to the highlighting or coloring boxes on sale at the supermarket or drug store?? I cant' be the only one :)

klmno

he he! I live with a few gray hairs here and there- sorry. I do use a spray stuff on my hair in warmer weather that lightens my hair and "blends" a little of the gray after being in the sun. But, I have to say, I'm not turning any heads when I walk in a room either. LOL!

susiestar

Roll With It
For many years I refused to color my hair. Then I had a hair guy who INSISTED on it - he taught at his own school AND around the world for Redken, so I let him. It was nice. Then I got braver and colored my own hair. I didn't really have many problems.

When I decided to highlight my hair I went to the beauty supply store (they are open to the public here) and I bought the stuff the salons use. I actually started buying my hair dye there also - MUCH gentler on the hair and about the same price as the better brands in the supermarket. You just have to buy the developer and color separately. And a bottle to mix them in. And gloves.

Anyway, you may need to have that fixed. Or at least go to a beauty supply store and ask what they recommend to fix it.

I did find a really cool gadget at walmart to help color my hair. It is a bottle designed to get the color to the roots of your hair - instead of the 1 nozzle it has about 8 of them side by side. Really helps, esp with thick hair.

Now I am all gray though. I am allergic to the dyes. At least you CAN color your hair!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Once when easy child was a baby I attempted to dye my hair blonde. I wound up with neon orange hair until mother in law ran to the drugstore and bought me another kit because I refused to let her take me to her salon to fix it. LOL

Uh, yeah, never tried again.

Andy

I grew up telling myself I would never dye my hair - never! A strange young girl was I - didn't believe in changing color of hair - didn't believe in medications for colds (unless you were totally miserable) - didn't believe in keg parties - just a real outcast who stood strong in her beliefs. No idea where I got all that from - I think I was suppose to be born into an Amish community or something?

Anyway, one day my mom came to visit. She seemed to look different but I couldn't put my finger on it (very bad at noticing what changes). When she left it dawned on me that she had dyed her hair to the color it was when I was growing up. It was so natural looking.

I did let diva dye my hair last fall. I have bought another OTC dye kit to do it again but haven't found the chance (or courage?)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I love coloring my hair!!!
But husband made me promise to stop doing it myself. Because sometimes I get a little wild mixing the colors myself, I like to experiment.
Well now that we are cutting corners, we can't afford to pay for a pro.

So my hair seems to have a LOT MORE GREY growing in???
I don't know why, I am only 23?!?!?
So I did a temporary a couple of weeks ago, I really liked it, but I fully missed a big spot on the side!
OOPS

So Sunday I had to touch it up, I got a darker color and redid it. I like the darker better.
I actually am liking the temporary, I keep finding them on sale at Target!

Hey, orange is fun! Maybe you can cover it with a temporary brown?

KTMom91

My hair has been platinum blonde to burgundy, and nearly every color in between. I colored it myself for years, and only once (knock on wood) did I screw it up so badly I had to have someone else fix it. I decided I didn't want to be blonde anymore, and had a friend match the roots to the little hair samples on the displays...remember those? Anyway, whatever we decided would blend in turned my hair avocado green.

Now I have Martin the hair god again, and my red looks great!

Jena

I've decided that orange works. lol. someone at work brought a camera to a mtg today to remember the moment lol.

hopefully it'll fade as i wash it. :)

Wiped Out

Staff member
Even though I have never dyed my hair (tried a shade that washes out in 6 weeks once) most people don't believe me when I say I haven't colored my hair. It changes colors by the season and I have red and brown hair-lighter than an auburn though. Some days the red is easy to see and other days it's barely there. Most hair dressers ask if I dye my hair and when I tell them no they say people pay a lot of money to have hair colored like mine. Kind of interesting since I grew up hating the color of my hair (my sister and brother both have a beautiful strawberry blond hair color and I always thought mine was drab because my sister and I would go to get our hair cut and they would always go on and on about how beautiful her hair was and say nothing to me). Now I like my hair color.

When I was younger I said I would never dye my hair. Now, once the gray come in spades (it's barely noticeable right now-just a few strands) I know I will probably color it. husband has been having his colored for a few years now. Our niece does it for him for the cost of the product.

goldenguru

My BFF is a stylist in a fancy-smancy salon. When hubby lost his job, I explained that I could no longer afford to have her color/highlight my hair. I asked her how to do it from home. She told me down to the brand, the color, etc. I went to my local KMart and bought the kit and have been pleased with the results. Salon color? Nearly 60 bucks. Home color? $5.99 w. a coupon. Does it look like a salon color? Nope. Does it cover the gray? Yup.

My suggestion would be to talk to your hairdresser and get her suggestions on what to buy. Explain that finances allow for a haircut, but not the expensive color.

Good luck.

Last edited:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well this was a funny thread to read!

Jen, I'm sorry you're hair is orange - I strongly urge you to hit up a salon for repairs, buck up and pay the money....messing around with your hair again to repair it on your own could cause damage. I had a friend once who colored her hair so often it fell out in clumps, seriously.

A few years back when my sister was at her most maudlin stage of menopause, she decided to dye her hair black. O.M.G. She called me in tears begging me to bring over Tide. Apparently, she wouldn't leave her house and her stylist told her to wash out the black dye with Tide. It worked for the most part, but she had to leave it on there and do it several times. Once it was mostly washed out, she donned a hat and made her way to the salon for a do-over. Her hair was very frizzed for a long time.

Be Careful. Happy Halloween!!!

mom_to_3

I color my hair myself too. I am not looking to change the color itself, just cover the grey. So, I am basically looking for the same color. This has been quite the adventure for me, but I finally have it right now for the most part. A couple of years ago, right before my middle daughter graduated, I thought I'd go ahead and color my hair. I did. I used a permanent hair color and I ended up with BLACK hair! Oh my goodness, my natural color is a light reddish brown. This new color was so ugly! I'm fair skinned and blue eyed. Black hair just doesn't work for me. I was panicked because, well it was just ugly and of course there were going to be pictures taken for graduation! I called the beauty supply store where I bought the hair color for instruction on how to get rid of that color. I was told to wash my hair repeatedly with dawn dishwashing soap, tide laundry soap and prell shampoo. I did and it did lighten it somewhat but not enough! I ended up going to the lady that cut my hair. She was able to lighten it and gave me highlights. I wasn't completely thrilled with my new look, but it was better than black! You are not alone!

Jena

LOL omg jo i cried when i saw the color you wrote in.

weak crying...

so i see i'm not the only one who plays with-the hair coloring kits!! yea i love to be part of something bigger lol.

i haven't gone anywhere to fix it, i'm like ok it's hair it'll go away eventually the color lol. it's upsetting everyone else though lol.

i was too busy today and tmrw we have a science project due for difficult child that i umm kinda forgot about!! ooops