Will the school contact me if my daughter drops out?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Nickstod, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nickstod

Nickstod New Member

We live in North Carolina and my daughter says she's gunna drop out right once she turns 18. Will the school contact me and let me know when she does this or will I have to wait and hear it from her?

2. ksm

ksm Well-Known Member

Call the school counselor and ask... But wouldn't you know if she is going to school?

KSM

3. Nickstod

Nickstod New Member

She could tell me she's going to school and be lying. As much as I hate to admit it I don't know if I can trust her anymore

4. pasajes4

pasajes4 Well-Known Member

If she is 18, they will not call you and tell you. Ask her where she intends to live when she drops out.

5. Nickstod

Nickstod New Member

She's going to live with her grandfather. He's very sickly

6. ksm

ksm Well-Known Member

Would she still be in the same school district? I thought grandpa lived out of state.

How soon does she turn 18? Google said 16 yo can drop out in NC...

Is she taking a car to "school" each day? I would check the mileage and see what happens. Or drive by the school and see if car is there. If not, and if you own the car, restrict the use of it.

KSM

7. Nickstod

Nickstod New Member

Yes he lives in Ohio, her cousin is supposed to be coming to get her and that's a great idea. I'll start checking the mileage. Thank you!

8. ksm

ksm Well-Known Member

Does she have gps activated on her phone? Another mother I know can see where her child is by using an app...

9. Nickstod

Nickstod New Member

I think she does. I'll have to look into that

10. mof

mof Momdidntsignupforthis

Schools have to tell you if she is not there. You can call and get attendance records also.

11. SomewhereOutThere

SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you can make her go to school even if you know. But maybe you can and maybe you can persuade her other ways. I personally would be ok with the GED. It acts like a high school diploma I believe.

12. ksm

ksm Well-Known Member

Someone posted that since she is 18, the schools wouldn't. But they did with my 18yo. Plus we have on online website or app, so I could always check for tardies, lunch balance, absences and grades...

KSM