Windows 7

Lothlorien

Have you seen the commercials for this? Anyone know anything about it? I've gotten so used to Vista, it doesn't bother me much, but something about my printer isn't compatible with it (though it advertised that it would be) and is the cause of computer meltdowns every so often.

I just wonder if it's worth making the switch. I do have enough room on my computer (at least I think I do). If I switch over, do I lose all the stuff, like wiping out the hard drive?

Abbey

Spork Queen
Loth...please read my post on Vista. New to me. I'm pulling hairs out. I have a free upgrade to Window 7 but I can't imagine what that would be like.

I tried installing my absolute favorite graphics program and it is not Vista friendly. I've had this thing for probably 7 years and it works perfectly. Well, not now. I have version 2 and they're up to version 8 now. Can some things be left alone??

Abbers

witzend

husband has it installed in one of his computers - he's an IT guy - and says it is "Vista without the bugs". He likes it. I don't know that I would rund out and buy it if your printer isn't compatible, though.

Lothlorien

The last Vista update was about a week and a half ago....messed up my computer. The darn thing just shut off on me in the middle of working. I unplugged and took it right to my easy child guy and he fixed a couple of things, including the sound (which it seems the new update messed up a lot of sound cards for people).

I have a friend who proclaims himself to be the ultimate computer nerd. I'm going to ask him what he thinks before I do anything.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I don't do the updates as it seems to cause more problems than it's worth. If it's running fine, why do you need to update?

You'd think a brand new operating system would work. It probably is...I'm just not familiar with the WYSIWYG kind of system. I'm used to running something myself, not something else running me. Ha! Control freak?

XP was a piece of cake.

Abbey

flutterby

Fly away!
You run updates to fix security loops that make your computer vulnerable.

Vista was a mess from start to finish. They rushed it out too fast. Windows 7 basically is Vista fixed.

witzend

Abbey, there are nerd/criminals out there all day every day figuring out hacks to bypass Windows security and get into your computer. The updates are fixes for those hacks. If you don't update, one of them will definitely get into your computer eventually. It also is more likely to mess you up when you haven't updated in ages then skip forward to a way new one. You're missing the stuff in between that makes it all connect.

Nancy

I just starting looking into Windows 7 this past weekend and from what I saw I liked it. The downside for me is that you have to backup all your info because it wipes out everything. The installation does seem to be complicated and I'm not looking forward to that, but I may try it when it comes out on Oct. 22.

Nancy

Lothlorien

Yeah, see I don't want to wipe everything out. It would take me a week to get everything back the way I want it.

Heather, husband used Linux at work and hated it. I won't go there.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
husband was a linux guru (along with unix & all the windows products) another IT guy who had to have it on his machine here when he worked from home.

Having said that he loaded linux on just about every machine in this house. My new laptop had never been converted to linux. He loved it & we didn't have the issues that windows tends to bring into their system.

I still have XP on this laptop ~ but had been used to Vista. Not sure if I will upgrade or not. Microsoft has this nasty habit of pushing a product out before it's ready. AND with this economy I'm not sure everyone is going to jump on the bandwagon (I know small corporations can't afford it.)

Star*

call 911........call 911
I like FLutters Name for it:

Vista Fixed.....

Bet Gates never thought of THAT. :tongue:

Nah - I'm happy with Windows XP - and will wait about a year - then they'll have something out called.....I dunno -

Aren't you sorry you bought Windows 7 ?:laugh:

donna723

Thank you for clearing that up! I was beginning to think I had trailed off into la-la-land!

After my recent computer misfortunes, the repair guy had to completely dump everything, reload it from the recovery disks, then spend a whole day updating everything. I'm still not sure what I've got now, just that he said I've got 'version 8'. I'm not wild about replacing something that works just to get something a little bit 'newer'. I get used to something the way it is and it's a major pain in the posterior to deal with all the changes.

flutterby

Fly away!
All the IT people I know *hate* Windows. They all use Linux whenever they can.

The only reason I don't have it on my computer is because I'd have to figure out how to partition my hard drive so I could have both Windows and Linux.

easy child's friend got a new laptop a month or two ago with Windows 7 on it. He likes it.