100 Best and Worst places to raise a family.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
As if we have a choice most times!!!;)

I am sure most of us have different criteria and could add to this list.

Burlington, VT is #1
Detroit, MI is #100 (Economy)

A lot of the higher numbers are due to economy.:(

klmno

Well this makes me feel better!! I honestly expected the place I live now to be closer to the top and HI to be toward the bottom (schools are not supposed to be great there), but Honolulu is close to the top! Where we live now is at the middle. FWIW, where my bro lives is toward the bottom. LOL!!

thank you, Toto- I needed a little something to make me feel more comfortable even though I'm sure things like specific schools, neighborhood, etc. plays a lot into the experience people have.

witzend

As if we have a choice most times!!!;)

I am sure most of us have different criteria and could add to this list.

Burlington, VT is #1
Detroit, MI is #100 (Economy)

A lot of the higher numbers are due to economy.:(

There's a lot more wrong with Detroit than the current economy. They have walked away from people in need in Detroit for generations.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Oh I know Detroit is one of the most forgotten cities in our country. Considering our business is Steel... we have had to watch it all too long and all of the horribly sad stories first hand.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Madison (where I live) is number 2 on the list. It's always ranked fairly high in places to raise a family; sometimes I think it is, others I'm not so sure.

muttmeister

Well, obviously they think that the only good places to raise kids are in cities. I think the best places to raise kids in our country are probably none of those but some of the smaller towns and villages that don't make the list. (This from somebody who lives in a town of around 200, although my town would not be near the top of the list; some near here might be though.)

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I always thought that raising a family in rural Maine was a great idea but the state laws cut me off at the knees.

Parents are immobilized by the very laissez-faire attitude of the legislature and the Police. Where were all the warrior mothers when it was decided that the age of consent would be 14y.o.???? My difficult child 2's lawyer told me that there was still a law on the books that a SEVEN YEAR OLD CHILD could get married with parental consent!!!! Where the bleeding blank is CPS in this??? I was investigated for child abuse (thank you, difficult child 2!) after giving my life to raising my children and they have not changed this law!!!

klmno

I agree with that, MM. I think there are some great small towns and rural areas. I just assumed that the poll asked for cities as responses in order to rank major urban places, but you bring up a good point. Unfortunately, in certain professions, it can be pretty risky to move to a small place for work so most people looking for work look more toward urban environments.

lmf64

There are 4 cities close (relatively) to where I live in the top 50. I was surprised not to see the medication city on the list. by the way the medication city is Rochester MN, of the world reknown Mayo Clinic fame. Do I think the Mayo is the place to go for psychiatric, absolutely NOT. But for all other medical issues you can bet I am on the list to get in for an appointment. My son sees a psychiatrist in Rochester, but not at the Mayo.

DazedandConfused

If they were ranking small cities, mine would probably rank near the bottom. I live in one of the hardest hit places economically in the country. I've lost 70 percent of the value in my house. We have a gang and parolee problem. But, it's my home and I don't live in fear. I appreciate the beauty of the landscape and I have really wonderful neighbors. I do sometimes think it was hard on Daughter because I she might have had an easier time in a more affluent community with kids that had middle class backgrounds like her. It doesn't seem to affect Son as much. They both have strong feelings about moving away from here to some place "better".

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I agree about the small rural towns being good places to raise kids. But you still have to pay attention to the schools and what the kids are up to. It's just easier to find out what they're up to. lol

Drugs and the like are just as rampant.....sometimes more so.....in small rural areas as they are the big cities.

DammitJanet

I think if there is a city on that list that is close to you then you can count it as being good. Like Richmond. I think that would be the greater Richmond area which would encompass the City of Richmond and several counties surrounding it because actually the surrounding counties are the more affluent areas unless something has really changed. When I lived in what I always said was Richmond, I actually lived right outside it in one of the suburbs and went to a high school that was ranked as one of the top ten high schools in the nation back in the day. Lot of good it did me...lol.

I think naming Washington Difficult Child as a good place to raise kids means the Difficult Child and surrounding areas.