A nice family gathering, for a change!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Our family drove 2 hours north yesterday to join sister in law#3's family who are celebrating their daughter's college graduation. She graduated a year early from Texas Tech University's Honors College, with a bachelor's in philosophy, minor in Spanish, magnacumlaude (had to run that together so the system would let me type it at all) and Phi Beta Kappa (sheesh, what a mouthful). She's also been accepted to grad school there to study law. Smart quirky kid!

Our three kids all had a blast playing with their older cousins (there's a 18yo brother to the graduate) plus our other neice who is difficult child 1's age, and all their friends and siblings who were visiting. Between the video games and frisbee tag in the park across the street -- It's a very good sign when we don't get summoned to break up some squabble or meltdown at a party like this... and we were there for about four hours!

I had a very nice conversation with a friend of their family whose former adult stepson was recently diagnosis'd bipolar. We had lots of notes to share about difficult child 2 and her ex and exSS, the latter two who are both sad examples of what happens when you ignore the symptoms of mental illness. The ex died from his alcoholism shortly after the woman left him 20+ years ago, and the exSS tried to commit suicide as a teen around the time she left as well, and ended up in state custody because of the suicide attempt and the father's neglegence. Got no treatment while in the system. And is now an adult who is finally understanding why he's had such a hard life all these years, but is still resisting his medications. :(

I kept my distance from sister in law#2 who is the toxic apple in the bunch (suspect BiPolar (BP) and Borderline (BPD), although much better than she was before medications). I think that's another reason the visit was so enjoyable!

It's 11:15am here, and everyone except easy child and me are still sleeping! We got home around 12:30am, so I guess they are a bit worn out.

tiredmommy

It sounds like a great family party! I doubt it would have went so well before difficult child 2's medications were tweaked recently. :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
What a nice surprise for you!
It is such a breath holder when you have to do the family thing!

I have to only go to dinner tonight with the in-laws and I get nervous!

Sounds like it went better than anyone could have expected.

Hold on to this memory!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think sometimes when kids meet people like us - it's a godsend because we share our stories and the stories of our lives and it makes them feel less odd/wierd or incapable.

I'm very glad you took the time to talk to him.....that was very nice of you. Also glad you stayed away from the Snow white apple - poison that it is. I used to have several relatives like that. UGh - they are exhausting.

Glad you had a nice gathering.
Hugs
S