Any reduced sodium dieters?

DDD

New PIA adaptation on my plate. Due to his cardiac failure the Mayo people want a change over to a reduced sodium diet. I've done reduced fat, I've eliminated alot of less healthy ingredients etc. Hmmm...now a new challenge.

Any of you guys experts? Care to point me to a web site or a book? DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I don't cook with salt - instead I use garlic & onion, quite a bit. Salt is a flavor-enhancer; so are many herbs and spices. (Lemon's good too.)

We have a salt grinder - we actually use less. (Except for Onyxx, who then declared the food was too salty, and husband had to pick me up off the dining room floor I was laughing so hard. She no longer does this.)

They have potassium chloride - "Nu-Salt" - it's kind of bitter.

Mrs. Dash rocks...

Star*

call 911........call 911
This is probably going to sound REALLY really silly D3 - and I'll explain. (no really silly from YOU?) yes ....!

When I lost weight I was asked to speak at a diabetic luncheon and was really touched. I learned so much that day - and had I not gone I would not have learned how to do a number of things. ONE of which was read the RDA on a lable, what the % things meant, and how to adjust and understand exactly what each of those things mean on the side of a package. It sounds like no big deal. I just look at a package and go - HUH - one serving is 110 calories, 8 grams of sugar - YUP. And NOPE. Some of those things I was putting in the cart thinking YUP _ were full of salt. And some of them had so many other "HIDDEN" ingredients in them that I had NO idea what they were - if I didn't know or learn how to read a lable and recognize it - my leg (I have problems with one leg swelling up) would be basketball sized. So I watch my salt intake, but I have to know what the lables mean.

My suggestion is find a place that is offering a free seminar or health talk about diets for diabetics or check with your local hospital and ask them if they ever have a registered dietitian that does speak or you can speak too that can help you get NORMAL food. I get cookbooks all the time and the stuff in there for diabetics is like - WHAT? I don't have the money for - OH now I've never heard of that - and what's the salt content?

It's helped me balance the pre-diabetec and the water gain pretty well. Maybe it will help you and hubby.

InsaneCdn

The two single biggest sources of sodium in the diet are...
- salt added at the table, and
- processed foods.

SO - no salt at the table. Not even the salt substitues (which, by the way, are NOT worth eating. OR cooking with)

Get kosher salt or sea salt - the really thick-grained stuff.
Trust me... ONE GRAIN of kosher salt makes a huge difference in how things taste... oatmeal, rice, potatoes, etc.
We usually measure salt by the teaspoon (1/4 or 1/8 or whatever). Instead, measure by the "grain". I use one or two grains per serving, for those dishes where salt really makes a difference.

Learn all the different terms for salt... and then check every single label. The first key word is "sodium"... if you see that (other than on your box of kosher salt...), run the other direction. Which means... you won't end up with very much prepared food in your grocery cart.

And then... learn to use herbs and spices.
Any form of pepper, olus onion, garlic and lemon are critical... not used all at the same time, but they are "sharp", and noticable to the tastebuds... which makes it less obvious that the "salt" isn't there.
The other spices and herbs, are for fine-tuning.

DDD

I've heard of Mrs. Dash but have no idea if it contains anything that is a no no. Fortunately we are not big salt eaters except I love cheese and olives..on the other hand, I don't have heart problems. I'm not sure I understand the "label reading" Star. I always look at the nutritional information, the serving size and the gov't suggested nutritional %'s. Is there something else that I am missing or just plain ignorant about that is on the containers??

I'm hoping that finding sodium free tomato products isn't a problem so that pastas are easy. Guess I'll have to check out the bakeries to find sodius free bread for husband. Also, guess it's time to plant herbs. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
DDD...
Dice up 3 large tomatoes & 1 small onion plus 1 tsp minced garlic, and a dash of "Italian seasoning" which should contain only rosemary, basil and oregano. Sauté in 1 tbsp olive oil until onion is translucent. This tastes MUCH BETTER than jarred/canned pasta sauce and is not hard at all. If you like, you can run it all in a blender before or after for a smoother texture. (No added sodium - only natural - barely any - and fresh tomatoes are good for the heart & the prostate.)

You have to read the ingredients... The nutritional info is super misleading.

Mrs. Dash has many different options. :bigsmile:

InsaneCdn

Ignore the %s.
Look at the ingredients.
The word "sodium" = NO NO NO (screaming off into the night...)
(except for that kosher/sea salt, which is really high in sodium duh but you won't use much of)

Example... do NOT use MSG.
MSG stands for MonoSodium Glutosomethingoranother... notice the Sodium?
There's disodium this and bicarbonate of soda (yes, good old baking soda) and so on.
Yeast is better for people with health problems, than baking soda/baking powder. (But it's small quantities, so a treat is fine)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Monosodium glutamate, and it's not in as much anymore since there was a huge deal about it in the 80s... But it is still out there. Look for "no MSG" and then read the ingredients for other sodi- stuff.

They DO have sodium free soy sauce. It's actually pretty good.

DDD

I do make pasta sauce from scratch fairly frequently but baking ??? not my thing, lol. MSG and other hidden sources would not have dawned on me. Thanks you guys have me thinking. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/GettingHealthy_UCM_001078_SubHomePage.jsp

This is an excellent resource - you can sign up for emails specific to your dietary needs

Also -

www.diabetes.org - scan down part way to the hidden dangers of sodium. There is high content of sodium in cheese, soups, and lots of things - this article will help understand hidden sodium.

The part of the label understanding is the multiplying. A can of soup that 2.5 servings and 35 g of sodium is already 92% of the daily recommended allowance (based on a 2000 calorie day) for sodium. That kind of stuff. - the math. That's what I never got. I'd look at a can of soup and go - OH 35 grams of sodium - Wahoo......then eat it all and have other stuff with salt and by the end of the day still be puffy. That's the lable thing I was referring to. YOU probably got that though you do books - lol.

DDD

Step my husband was very unhappy when I told him you had offered bread recipes and I replied that I don't bake. With a very sad face and a quiet voice he said "but I like to bake and I could bake bread". Geez, Step, I take it back. Sigh! I would love to have simple low sodium bread reciptes (THAT DON"T require a machine or much money...LOL). DDD

JJJ

Key thing to remember is to keep your sodium under 1500mg/day. That is really tough but it can be done.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm on salt restriction and have been for years. Lucky for me.........I wasn't huge on salt to begin with. But it reduced as drastically as it was for me? You miss it. Salt subs are not being recommended these days.....I'm having a brain fart and can't remember why. I'm strictly forbidden to go near them, doctor orders. (kidney doctor orders.....has to do with the mineral makeup I believe)

Now...........I don't mind a little garlic, but too much and the rest of the world will not like ME. But this was when I started playing with spices. My mom cooked totally bland food, I was never taught to cook using spices except baking. So.......I taught myself. I started very small scale because the family had to still eat what I cooked, we couldn't afford to toss it out. I'd add a bit of this or a bit of that.....if that when over well to a dish, I'd add a bit more next time. I like onions, which is good for flavoring. I also tend to use quite a bit of sage and basil........and pepper. I'll also use dried celery, rosemary ect. And I've found a few tricks. If I fry my eggs (a treat I don't get more than once a week tops), I use real butter that has salt, which is far better for you than margarine. I just add pepper to the eggs as I normally would.....and I don't miss the salt I would've used. Butter is really good for this but you have to be careful not to use too much or you'll overdo on the butter.

I have two heart/kidney healthy cookbooks prescribed (he even wrote it on his script pad ) by kidney doctor. I can dig them out and give you the titles if you'd like. They have tricks to use to make the food taste good without salt too.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OK DDD husband... Here ya go!

5 1/2 to 6 cups flour (I use half white and half wheat, you can also do 4 white/2 rye)
1 tbsp (or 1 pkg, or 3 tsp active dry yeast)
2 cups 2% milk, heated to 130 (beverage setting on my microwave, LOL)
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp olive oil

Optional: 2 tsp salt - tastes the same to me without the salt as with

Put 5 1/2 cups flour and other dry ingredients in a bowl. Add olive oil. Add milk and mix (I use a mixer with a dough hook). Add remaining flour as necessary, until dough is reasonably smooth and not overly sticky.

Grease another bowl very lightly and put ball of dough in, cover with a towel and put in a warm place for an hour.

Grease 2 loaf pans (again very lightly). Punch dough down, divide in two, put in loaf pans and cover with towel. Heat oven to 350. In 20 minutes, put bread in oven and bake about 45 minutes until light brown and when you tap sounds hollow. Turn out, let cool and enjoy!

I have also been known to add:
Italian spices - rosemary, basil, oregano, dried garlic & onion
or
Cinnamon, then I flatten the dough, dust with cinnamon and sugar, roll up and put in pan
or
Add 1/4 cup molasses or honey

This is really easy, too.

DDD

Thanks, Step. I'll print it out for husband. I'm going to add a note "Not to be attempted when DDD is starting dinner, doing the dishes or mopping the floors." LOL DDD