Help - I MUST lose weight!

nvts

I must say, you sound so much more positive! That's always the first step!

WW actually turned out to be fun because you could taylor it to what's going on with your bod! (Type 1 diabetic - used to be no fun, but now I'm getting the idea that a little taste isn't going to kill me unless as I'm chewing I get hit by a bus!).

Power of Positive Thinking! Ok, so today I'm positive I'm fat, but tomorrow at least I won't be fatter!!! lol!!

Beth

Marg,

I think you came up with a good idea - Get a referral and go back to your endocrinologist. Hopefully, your gastro (can't spell!!!) doctor will get back to you soon. And, I think it is a good idea that you're thinking of finding another nutritionist. Even though the search is extremely frustrating, there has to be at least one professional who can help you!!!

I was going to suggest trying an ice cream made with Splenda instead of sugar, but because of all your health problems, I think it is a good idea that you're just going to try eating a large variety of natural foods.

Let us know how you do with the walking. I think the pedometer is a great thing.

Thinking of you. WFEN

Marg,

My very good friend and coworker has a situation that is so similiar to yours, I could almost hear her talking when I read about your situation. Her opthamologist was concerned that she might be diabetic, so he referred her to an endocronologist who specializes in diabetes and obesity. The doctor had her on his own special diet with supplements - it was high protein and utilized a lot of dairy and soy foods. She says she lost weight on the diet but developed huge problems with lactose intolerance.

At that point the doctor decided to do a test of her basal metabolic rate. The testing showed that she only required 980 calories to maintain her weight at that time. She was very active, but still could not lose weight. It was necessary for her to go to around 680 calories a day to lose any weight and the doctor would not agree to this as a permanent solution for her.

Basically he told her her options were to accept herself as she is or to go back on the protein heavy diet. She has made her peace and tries to stay at around 980 calories a day. This is really not much food, but she feels it is really the only choice she has. Her doctor doesn't know why she has this issue, he just knows from objective testing that she does. I had never heard of anyone undergoing this type of testing before. I don't know if it would be possible for you.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Marg,

Basically he told her her options were to accept herself as she is or to go back on the protein heavy diet. She has made her peace and tries to stay at around 980 calories a day. This is really not much food, but she feels it is really the only choice she has. Her doctor doesn't know why she has this issue, he just knows from objective testing that she does. I had never heard of anyone undergoing this type of testing before. I don't know if it would be possible for you.

My gosh...that is a low level of calories, but I'm not a doctor.

What I DO know is that I had a project every year with my students where they had to collect the legally required nutrient requirements from fast food restaurants. Then, we'd evaluate what that meant for their daily needs. Age, etc. You can get a taco salad and be at 1200 calories. You're thinking...ok, it's a salad. Nada. Bean burrito? 240 calories.
'
By law in the US (which I know you are not here) they must comply and give you a nutrition sheet upon demand. If they do not, the business is at risk for penalty. It is amazing how you think you are buying a low calorie meal when it is really not. You'd be better off getting a big beef burrito!

It's all about consumer info. Ask for the sheets, if they're available in your country, and use that as your guide for caloric intake.

I just today went and got a pre-packaged salad for work. I don't do fast foods too well, so I thought it would be a good alternative. I could have had less calories going to Burger King for a small burger than the salad. Now, toss in some fries and soda...ugh. Fortunately, I do not partake in those items.

Tough shoot here.

Abbey

Marguerite

I think I have something similar to that low-intake problem also. The insulin resistance seems to be the issue here also. I'm reading my way through the CSIRO Wellbeing Diet book - it has some clues I'm going to try, but I'm going to have to use the book as a guide rather than follow it we closely as I should. I also should wait until I get those pills - Monday, they should be in.

Lap-band surgery - the doctor said I'm not a candidate.

The thing I still find weird - I can't understand how this could be happening. According to the CSIRO book, metabolic problems like mine are accompanied with raised cholesterol, high triglycerides, high fasting sugars, a very large waistline, high blood pressure. I have SLIGHTLY elevated triglycerides, and moderately high fasting insulin levels at normal BSL. Everything else is normal. And although I had stopped eating a low-fat diet, I certainly wasn't overindulging (or indulging at all, really). No biscuits, no cakes, no fried foods. I don't put spreads on my bread (one slice a day, if that).

Endocrinologist - the doctor won't be in it. I spoke to the gastroenterologist this morning, he said that this is his specialty, an endocrinologist won't be able to help here. I have faith in this guy, he seems really good.

Food labels - the regulations are coming in, the big fast food places have nutrition data on request. But the only fast food I'm eating is sushi, and I can see exactly what is in it - a teaspoon of rice, a lovely chunk of raw salmon, half a teaspoon of roe and that's it. Two of those does me for lunch. I wasn't kidding when I said I don't eat much. Everything else is what I cook at home, so I know what goes into it.

I posted in Healthful Living as was suggested. I'm going to try to keep on track over there, see how I go.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Marg