Anyone have a difficult child experiment with LSD ? :-(

BKS

My beautiful 19 year old son (difficult child) was kicked out of our house on October 12 after a long period of drug and alcohol abuse that had progressed to his stealing from us, breaking into our house while we were at work, and constant lying about any and everything. He is the product of a private school education, professional tutors, summer camps, church functions, computer camps, etc. and I know I am leaving some things out. I felt that with one child we could give him all of our attention and resources. We know he has ADHD and when he applies himself he can get good grades. He has twice registered from community college courses and then dropped them. (One of his 11 AM classes he attended drunk one day.) His drug use progressed to the point where he became manic-depressive, was hospitalized and entered rehab but left because "he didn't have a problem".

He knows he is an alcoholic in that he can't stop once he starts drinking and, for whatever reason, he is completely fascinated by drugs. This past weekend he tried LSD and then told my husband about it. We just try to stay strapped in for the ride but this was hard to hear. Our over-riding fear is that he gets a first taste of a drug that has such an incredible high the user is hooked with its first use (such as crack or heroin).

Has anyone's difficult child ever experimented with LSD?

Thanks,
BKS

P

PatriotsGirl

I did LSD several times in high school. It wasn't one of those drugs that get you hooked. It was always just something fun to do. I can't say that is how someone else reacts to it, just my personal history when I was a young difficult child...

It is absolutely heartbreaking to watch them live life the way they do. I understand... :-(

Tiredof33

Is LSD the same as acid?? A relative I am very close to 'dropped acid' in high school. She told me they were driving to a concert and when they stopped at a red light the car in front of them was 'breathing'.

Now that would have scared me silly, she just thought it was funny.

I am sure my difficult child has tried every drug he could get his hands on. I agree it is heartbreaking. Another that understands.

(((huggs)))

DammitJanet

LSD is not something you will get hooked on. I must have dropped acid I cant tell you how many times in my last year of HS but it wasnt something you have to continue to take. Its just a fun thing to do. If he ever has a bad trip, it will most likely be his last. I never had a bad trip. It was a fun thing to do in my opinion back then. I wish I had kept it but I wrote an awesome paper for english class under the influence...lol. Snow looks so pretty!

susiestar

Roll With It
I used to work with a lot of people who used a LOT of hallucinogens, including LSD and mushrooms. Quite a few of the ones I knew had bad trips over and over. Since they weren't all bad trips, they kept doing them for quite a while. All I can really say is that they were very boring to be around when they had a good trip, and sometimes they were terrifying if they had a bad trip. Two people I knew ended up in the hospital for injuring themselves by thinking they could fly or they were running from invisible demons or whatever. One girl tried to cut her arm off because it turned into some monster or something. She was lucky in that there were several people around her who stopped her and got her to a hospital. Nowadays I don't think most people would help, at least not around here. They are often afraid that they will be in trouble if they take someone to the hospital and admit what they and the hurt person has done.

We had a hallucinogen problem at the high school a couple of years ago. the kids were using nutmeg, the same that you put in pies. What they didn't know was that it is a poison. The line between a fatal dose and the amt you need to get high isn't that big and it is easy to take/use too much.

Star*

call 911........call 911
LSD AND ACID are the same thing.......and everyone here has pretty much stated their thoughts and experiences. While it's true that people don't get "hooked" on LSD - people that do it continuously tend to have to do higher doeses to get that same feeling, and that may be where you are confusing the "hooked" part. Bigger and bigger doses can lead to bad "trips". Trips are the actual feelings people go through it's like an altered reality. Some times it's euphoric, and sometimes they'll laugh for hours (quite annoying really) sometimes they see things that aren't there (like the dog on Sessame street playing in the yard) and it all appears to them to be real but they usually are aware it is not.

I found some reading material out on the web for you about LSD and other drugs. I didn't know if this was the appropriate forum. There is a drug related forum that may benefit your questions better. I've never "dropped" acid or done a "blotter" or tried a "hit" or taken any pills. I just had a ridiculously stupid x.

Hope this helps.
DrugFacts: Hallucinogens - LSD, Peyote, Psilocybin, and PCP

Revised June 2009

Hallucinogenic compounds found in some plants and mushrooms (or their extracts) have been used—mostly during religious rituals—for centuries. Almost all hallucinogens contain nitrogen and are classified as alkaloids. Many hallucinogens have chemical structures similar to those of natural neurotransmitters (e.g., acetylcholine-, serotonin-, or catecholamine-like). While the exact mechanisms by which hallucinogens exert their effects remain unclear, research suggests that these drugs work, at least partially, by temporarily interfering with neurotransmitter action or by binding to their receptor sites. This DrugFacts will discuss four common types of hallucinogens:

• LSD (d-lysergic acid diethylamide) is one of the most potent mood-changing chemicals. It was discovered in 1938 and is manufactured from lysergic acid, which is found in ergot, a fungus that grows on rye and other grains.
  • Peyote is a small, spineless cactus in which the principal active ingredient is mescaline. This plant has been used by natives in northern Mexico and the southwestern United States as a part of religious ceremonies. Mescaline can also be produced through chemical synthesis.
  • Psilocybin (4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine) is obtained from certain types of mushrooms that are indigenous to tropical and subtropical regions of South America, Mexico, and the United States. These mushrooms typically contain less than 0.5 percent psilocybin plus trace amounts of psilocin, another hallucinogenic substance.
  • PCP (phencyclidine) was developed in the 1950s as an intravenous anesthetic. Its use has since been discontinued due to serious adverse effects.
[h=2]How Are Hallucinogens Abused?[/h]The very same characteristics that led to the incorporation of hallucinogens into ritualistic or spiritual traditions have also led to their propagation as drugs of abuse. Importantly, and unlike most other drugs, the effects of hallucinogens are highly variable and unreliable, producing different effects in different people at different times. This is mainly due to the significant variations in amount and composition of active compounds, particularly in the hallucinogens derived from plants and mushrooms. Because of their unpredictable nature, the use of hallucinogens can be particularly dangerous.

• LSD is sold in tablets, capsules, and, occasionally, liquid form; thus, it is usually taken orally. LSD is often added to absorbent paper, which is then divided into decorated pieces, each equivalent to one dose. The experiences, often referred to as “trips,” are long; typically, they end after about 12 hours.
  • Peyote: The top of the peyote cactus, also referred to as the crown, consists of disc-shaped buttons that are cut from the roots and dried. These buttons are generally chewed or soaked in water to produce an intoxicating liquid. The hallucinogenic dose of mescaline is about 0.3 to 0.5 grams, and its effects last about 12 hours. Because the extract is so bitter, some individuals prefer to prepare a tea by boiling the cacti for several hours.
  • Psilocybin: Mushrooms containing psilocybin are available fresh or dried and are typically taken orally. Psilocybin (4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine) and its biologically active form, psilocin (4-hydroxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine), cannot be inactivated by cooking or freezing preparations. Thus, they may also be brewed as a tea or added to other foods to mask their bitter flavor. The effects of psilocybin, which appear within 20 minutes of ingestion, last approximately 6 hours.
  • PCP is a white crystalline powder that is readily soluble in water or alcohol. It has a distinctive bitter chemical taste. PCP can be mixed easily with dyes and is often sold on the illicit drug market in a variety of tablet, capsule, and colored powder forms that are normally snorted, smoked, or orally ingested. For smoking, PCP is often applied to a leafy material such as mint, parsley, oregano, or marijuana. Depending upon how much and by what route PCP is taken, its effects can last approximately 4–6 hours.
How Do Hallucinogens Affect the Brain?[/h]LSD, peyote, psilocybin, and PCP are drugs that cause hallucinations, which are profound distortions in a person’s perception of reality. Under the influence of hallucinogens, people see images, hear sounds, and feel sensations that seem real but are not. Some hallucinogens also produce rapid, intense emotional swings. LSD, peyote, and psilocybin cause their effects by initially disrupting the interaction of nerve cells and the neurotransmitter serotonin. Distributed throughout the brain and spinal cord, the serotonin system is involved in the control of behavioral, perceptual, and regulatory systems, including mood, hunger, body temperature, sexual behavior, muscle control, and sensory perception. On the other hand, PCP acts mainly through a type of glutamate receptor in the brain that is important for the perception of pain, responses to the environment, and learning and memory.
There have been no properly controlled research studies on the specific effects of these drugs on the human brain, but smaller studies and several case reports have been published documenting some of the effects associated with the use of hallucinogens.

• LSD: Sensations and feelings change much more dramatically than the physical signs in people under the influence of LSD. The user may feel several different emotions at once or swing rapidly from one emotion to another. If taken in large enough doses, the drug produces delusions and visual hallucinations. The user’s sense of time and self is altered. Experiences may seem to “cross over” different senses, giving the user the feeling of hearing colors and seeing sounds. These changes can be frightening and can cause panic. Some LSD users experience severe, terrifying thoughts and feelings of despair, fear of losing control, or fear of insanity and death while using LSD. LSD users can also experience flashbacks, or recurrences of certain aspects of the drug experience. Flashbacks occur suddenly, often without warning, and may do so within a few days or more than a year after LSD use. In some individuals, the flashbacks can persist and cause significant distress or impairment in social or occupational functioning, a condition known as hallucinogen-induced persisting perceptual disorder (HPPD).
    Most users of LSD voluntarily decrease or stop its use over time. LSD is not considered an addictive drug since it does not produce compulsive drug-seeking behavior. However, LSD does produce tolerance, so some users who take the drug repeatedly must take progressively higher doses to achieve the state of intoxication that they had previously achieved. This is an extremely dangerous practice, given the unpredictability of the drug. In addition, cross-tolerance between LSD and other hallucinogens has been reported.

DammitJanet

I always did something called Purple Haze or Micro dot which some might recognize the first from the title of a famous song. It was literally a little piece of paper and you could distinguish it by maker by the little imprint on the tabs. The dealers would stamp rows upon rows of these small dragons or hearts or any other tiny characters on a sheet of paper about as thick as a dollar bill...maybe slightly thicker. Then they would run it through a machine that would put the little things in it so they could be torn off easily. Then they would take a dropper and take one little drop of liquid acid and drop it on each little square. Once dry they were ready to sell. You just put one square under your tongue.

Nancy

Janet my heart dropped when you said purple haze because I foudn out my difficult child did that a few months back. I always thought it was a strain of marijuana so I looked it up and that's what it is.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I think the people hitting teens in the 60's and 70's had luck on our side. Our parents probably had no clue as to pot was, or even what kind of other drugs were out there - there was no internet and if it wasn't in the paper or on the news it wasn't anything much to think about. Things wern't laced with anything back then that I know of. I did take acid a few times back in the day, but one bad trip will cure you of that habit...fast. But stuff today that people dabble in, crack, herione,estacy and that kind of stuff its really not worth it.

Marcie

P

PatriotsGirl

Janet my heart dropped when you said purple haze because I foudn out my difficult child did that a few months back. I always thought it was a strain of marijuana so I looked it up and that's what it is.

Nancy, don't freak - purple haze is also a brand of high quality marijuana also known as kush.

The acid I used to do was the same way as Janet - little pieces of paper with pictures on it....it had all sorts of names...just something we did as kids for fun. Not anything that would be addicting. Honestly, I didn't even know it was still around...

DammitJanet

PG...you and I must have run in the same circles. Ever go to Difficult Child for the NORML rallies? I swear that is one of my fondest memories. Sitting out on the lawn in front of the Washington Monument listening to bands from all over and the cops watching from the sidelines. Only bad part was it started to rain and we had to make sort of lean to's with stakes and plastic. Ahhh....to be a teen in the 70's again...lol.

I will never do those things again but I am not sorry for what I did.

P

PatriotsGirl

PG...you and I must have run in the same circles. Ever go to Difficult Child for the NORML rallies? I swear that is one of my fondest memories. Sitting out on the lawn in front of the Washington Monument listening to bands from all over and the cops watching from the sidelines. Only bad part was it started to rain and we had to make sort of lean to's with stakes and plastic. Ahhh....to be a teen in the 70's again...lol.

I will never do those things again but I am not sorry for what I did.

You would think, huh?? I told you I have always felt a connection to you! ;)

No, I grew up in Massachusetts and didn't travel much. I, too, had fun growing up but yes those days are long over...

DammitJanet

Where at in Mass? I have family in Reading. I spent a lot of time there. There is a town in Maine named after my family. Castine Maine.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I always did something called Purple Haze or Micro dot which some might recognize the first from the title of a famous song. It was literally a little piece of paper and you could distinguish it by maker by the little imprint on the tabs. The dealers would stamp rows upon rows of these small dragons or hearts or any other tiny characters on a sheet of paper about as thick as a dollar bill...maybe slightly thicker. Then they would run it through a machine that would put the little things in it so they could be torn off easily. Then they would take a dropper and take one little drop of liquid acid and drop it on each little square. Once dry they were ready to sell. You just put one square under your tongue.

Yep, that was my experience as well. I did LSD/acid maybe three times and the last time wasn't pretty for my friend-all she did was cry, what a drag. So we tried mescaline, which is sort of like a less intense version I guess...that I did a lot of because all you do is giggle.

That said, I know what Susie is talking about as well. I saw some people really flip out on acid...and these days it's even more frightening because people use weird ingredients and lace the drug for intensity, even when they have no clue what that intensity may bring out in any one individual.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG I thought someone here was dropping acid in mass. LORD......have mercy. I must read more closely. Talk about a religious experience.