Anyone make Teriyaki Rice Bowls?

witzend

I love eating these things, and know that they are relatively low fat and a good dinner. I've looked up several recipes, and it seems pretty straightforward. But they all say "Steamed vegetables". What do they mean by that?

When I buy this at the bento places, they always have carrots and cabbage on top. Are there onions? Do they just steam with heavily salted water or do they use chicken broth?

Thanks all, I know someone must have the answer to this...

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I cook my rice with chicken broth - and steam the veggies and put a little salt on top- I have a steamer which I put in a pot with a little water at the bottom and cover it to steam. I steam all my veggies as I never got a handle on when veggies are done, and then they get all mushy, specially brocoli. Or I just toss then in the wok and cook them.

I have to admit that I do most times buy the packages of frozen veggies if I am not feeling it to cut everything by hand.

Marcie

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You can put whatever veggies you like in them!!!
You can either steam them, (I don't put salt because most teriyaki sauce has lots) Or parboil them and then throw them in an ice bath or very cold water.

When I am almost done I will saute the veggies, and meat Occupational Therapist (OT) tofu... in a pan or wok with some of the sauce and serve it on top of my rice!
We eat these once a week... I add cashews, sesame seeds, mandarin oranges, peppers, tofu, shrimp, chicken, mushrooms, cabbage... you can put in almost anything depends on your mood... I mess with the sauce also, I always make it differently each time...
Good luck :sushi:

AllStressedOut

I make fried rice, well, my version of it anyways. I cook the rice in chicken and beef broth and add a seasoning packet from ramen noodles. Then I cut veggies up in small pieces and throw them in the wok with the rice and simmer it for about 15-20 minutes. Sometimes I add an egg by making a hole in the middle of the rice mixture (while in the wok) and allowing the egg to cook before mixing it in with the rest. It's yummy, but it is the most asian inspired meal I make. I'm just not good at figuring out the seasonings.

AllStressedOut

I use the regular size can of chicken broth and beef broth, I think 12-15 oz? I measure it in a measuring cup to get exact cup amount, I think its 3-4 cups of liquid. Whatever it is, I use half that amount in rice. I boil the liquid with 1 package of seasoning from ramen noodles chicken or beef, then I add the rice. The rice takes about 15 minutes to cook.

While the rice is cooking, I chop up 1 medium onion and start cooking it in the wok with 1 tbsp. butter and 2 chicken bullion cubes. Let it cook for about 10 minutes then chop about 10 baby carrots and add a small can of peas or frozen peas (about a handful) 1/2 cup maybe? I chop the carrots into the size of peas, same with onion size. Cook another 10 minutes.

I'm reading my recipe now, I guess I don't add the egg to the rice, I add it to the vegetables and scramble it then.

Okay, so after you've cooked the veggies, add the egg, scramble it, then add the rice, mix it all together, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Recipe for teriyaki

1.5 C jasmine rice
3 C Water

Cook rice according to directions - let set overnight. The best rice to use in a stir fry has been left setting overnight.

Sauce:

1/2 C Soy sauce
1/2 C Mirin (sweet rice wine)
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp fresh ginger

Stir together - set aside until ready to use.

Cooked meat of choice
Veggies of choice
Peanut oil to stir fry

Heat the peanut oil in your wok until hot. Add veggies & fry until heated but still crunchy. Add the meat & heat (I use cooked chicken or pork) through. Add jasmine rice & stir until heated through. Stir in the teriyaki sauce; mix thoroughly. Turn heat down to low - cover & simmer approximately 5 minutes. The teriyaki should have a nice sheen to it.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Ponzu sauce is really good also! I will cook the rice, whatever kind you like. I use jasmine, arborio, brown, calrose etc. Then I will saute the vegies and meat in peanut or sesame oil, pretty much like Linda... change up the seasonings at times!!!

But sometimes for the girls and I for something light I will just saute the in Peanut or sesame oil and put the veggies and met on top of the rice and splash it with Ponzu sauce... It is a Citrus Soy Dressing... So good... The girls love it!!!

We buy Marukan because it is all natural... Soy, sugar, sudachi citrus... some other stuff...

Good for quick bowls!!!