Bipolar Spectrum Diagnostic Scale and Scoring

Discussion in 'Parenting News' started by gcvmom, Jul 20, 2011.

1. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Found this interesting -- you can download the Bipolar Spectrum Diagnostic Scale as well as the scoring criteria. It goes without saying we should always consult a mental healthcare professional, but this can perhaps be helpful in determining what questions to ask at that appointment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3599106/

2. AnnieO

AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

You have to be a member for this... Sigh.

3. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Yep, have to be a member. I would love to see the article.

4. keista

keista New Member

Ah, guys, membership is FREE. I'm a 16

5. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Yes, membership is free :) If you want the file, I can email it to you because I was able to download the .pdf Just PM me.

6. AnnieO

AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

I saw that it was free - however, something about the professional psychological community stopped me cold...

I can sign up, though. ;-)

7. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Yes, well, I um, er, stretched things a bit. :rofl:

8. seriously

seriously New Member

I always list myself as "other" and if they want an area of practice or something like that I pick something like research. It is after all research...

9. seriously

seriously New Member

just for kicks did the scale...

can't believe the cut off is 13.

I scored 58

10. keista

keista New Member

????? The one I did maxes out at 25 with no cutoff. Was there a second one posted?

11. seriously

seriously New Member

If you read the story it refers to a cut off of 13 points for high suspicion of being on the bipolar spectrum.

The actual scoring instructions give score ranges that stop at 25. I just kept on tallying out of curiosity.

I already knew this of course. But clearly, I qualify. :congrats:

12. seriously

seriously New Member

Here's a link to a different weighted assessment tool developed by docs at Harvard that they use to screen for bipolar disorder. It is completed based on an in-depth interview where they try to elicit the information needed to complete the matrix.

I scored about 70 on this one depending on where you draw the line between hypomania/mania

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/STEPBipolarityIndex.htm

13. keista

keista New Member

Gotcha. Must be my literal Aspie tendencies showing. ;)

14. seriously

seriously New Member

For the purposes of the person scoring the list, once you reach 25 you can stop tallying. That score is highly associated with bipolar spectrum illness.

15. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Now the question for me is, how to get husband to take this test without knowing he's taking a test! :rofl:

16. keista

keista New Member

Just ask him one question a day, like in normal conversation. Might work.

17. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

We don't have normal conversations. So I think that would be a red flag right there. :rofl: