Bloodwork results and echo results

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
For those who care...Good news, my echocardiogram came back just fine. Nothing to worry about, I am relieved.

My bloodwork came back mensamens. My cholesterol is elevated at 196, not quite high, but something to watch. My LDL is high and my DR wants me to get it lower. It is 127 and should be under 100. So, I suppose it's oatmeal for me everyday now. I eat so healthy most days, except for the half and half in my coffee and the chocolates. Do I have to stop that now?

And my Lyme test came back elevated, so I have to get retested in 4 weeks. That may explain the achy joints and lethargy.

BUT, something else may explain everything! All of my hormone results came back completely out of whack and put me right dab in the middle of menopause. I already knew that, and so did my DR, but we didn't realize my hormones were bottoming out every month, which explains the horrifying depression I feel and the entire body pain and the achy joints and the feeling I get that I want to hide in a cave and my uterus hurting and ugh, the ugliness of it. Hahaha~I can laugh today, but in two weeks it won't be so funny.

So, what do you do for this? Eat right, exercise and drink plenty of water and a full night's sleep. Well, if I have Lymes, the sleep will not be a problem because all I want to do is sleep. I already eat right and take my supplements and the wellbutrin. I need to add motion to my life.

The last test is tomorrow morning - the pelvic ultrasound. Can't wait.

susiestar

Roll With It
Pelvic ultrasounds are not fun, but can give very important results. I know after my last one the doctor gave me the options of ablation or total hysterectomy. He said that most patients with ablations in his experience had to keep having it redone. He said it would give me a few months, maybe 6 before symptoms got bad again. And it wouldn't help the cystic ovaries.

I took the hyserectomy and estrogen pills. Makes a wonderful improvement after you heal. EVen improved the sex life! Cause when I was hurting and cranky, touching me could result in fingers bitten off!

I dont' have the pain, cramping, 2week periods with only a week between, and it has helped EVERY health issue I have.

I hoep the doctor can help. Hugs, Susie

Star*

call 911........call 911
Jo,

I'm glad (I care too) about your results (mostly). I have PCOS and I have been talking with a lot of women who sadly got hysterectomies when there are lots of other alternatives out there for miserable "times of the month".

Maybe someone here will know what the name is but doctors are now just deleting the lining of the uterus. The results are less pain, aching general cramping and mood swings. It's results last about 3 years. Maybe that will be a thought?

I never knew you had Lymes disease. Or am I missing something?

As far as half and half - I honestly have a huge mug of coffee in the morning and 1/2 is coffee and 1/2 is 1/2 and 1/2. I can't give that up either. And I think oatmeal is good. You can get 1/2 mix Splenda - it's 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda - pretty good and a lot easier on the mouth than whole splenda. A 3 lb. bag here is about $6.00

I hope you get some answers soon. Maybe check and see what herbal remedies you can take for hormones - Black Cohosh is supposed to be good for menopause.

Hugs
Star

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Star I didn't have Lyme...they just ran the test due to some extreme tiredness and achy joints I've been experiencing. Turns out my levels are elevated so in 3 weeks or so I have to have the test redone to see what the levels are. It's basically just a precaution so if I have it, they can treat me early.

I have an appointment with my DR late March, so I will definitely discuss with her my options for the pain I've been experiencing in the pelvic area. I can't even go in to detail, but suffice it to say, it ain't normal.

Thanks for caring - ♥

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jo

Menopause made me feel the same way. Vitimens, excercise, and laying off sweets and junk food seemed to help. If you're homones are really bottoming out, replacement therapy might be a big help to you.

(((hugs)))

Lothlorien

Black Cohash, Soy and Rose Hips should help with some of the symptoms of menopause (natural stuff that you can find commonly in a health food store).

Eating right is always a good idea. Add Vitamin E, BUT WITH Vitamin A, (no more than 10,000 iu of Vitamin A per day, else you can overdose on it). Vitamin B Complex is also good.

Glad your ultrasound went well.

F

flutterbee

I'm glad to hear the 'important' stuff checked out ok. The fatigue and achiness really wears on you, though.

I was reading recently that they are finding that flaxseed helps with hot flashes. I didn't read any further cause I'm not having those issues, but I wonder if it would help with other menopausal symptoms.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Welcome to the wonderful world of Menopause...... Sometimes answers just bring more questions......hope you find relief for your symptoms.....

witzend

OK, how on earth do you get your doctor to run these tests? I have been complaining about my sweats and hormone rages for a year or so, and mine just tells me, "oh." Last time he recommended the black cohash. My periods are less regular, but the worst part of it is that I seem to have no control whatsoever over my temper. Plus, I fatigue so easily.

I get it that black cohash is supposed to work, I supplement my diet with fish oils and green teas, fiber, antioxidents, b's, e's, enough pills morning and night to choke a horse.

I've done my research, and even with my factor v leiden (a clotting disease) hormone replacement is possible if dosed and monitored properly, which involves patches. Honey, I wish someone would just slap a happy patch on me and get it over with! Both my sisters had hysterectomies in their late 30's due to menstrual problems. My mother still hasn't told me about menstruation yet, so I don't figure to get any info out of her as to family history. (Even if we were close, which we are not.)

Every month I swear that the emotions are the worst they've ever been and the cramps are the worst ever too. I haven't had a full night's sleep in years due to the sweats. I don't have a clue as to whether I am just starting menopause, in the middle, not at all, or nearly done.

Seriously, what are the magic words to get them to run some blood tests?

susiestar

Roll With It
Witz, The magic words for me are "I want you to run these tests. I will be happy to sit here with you until you agree to run them." Seems to work for me.

The thing Star talked about is ablation. They do it a few different ways - usually use heat and scrape the inside off. My doctor said the results were not good, but this was about 4 years ago. MAy be different now.

I hope they can help you. Witz too.

Hugs,

Susie

busywend

Witz, get a female doctor to help you out. Men just truly do not get it.

Jo, I have been there with the female issues and had a hysterectomy a few years ago. Best thing I ever did!
I kept the ovaries and they are still going strong.
I know the hormone therapy is tricky - can take awhile to get it right. I hope they get you some relief soon!

P.S. - last night i made your MILs recipe of Italian Sausage, peppers & onions with Ragu sauce in the crock pot! Yum! boyfriend liked it, too!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Seriously Witz - you must ask, demand if necessary and finally, if that doesn't get you what you want, go to a new DR.

My gyno isn't the one who ordered all these tests. It all started when I called my regular GP APRN and was sobbing into the phone because I really and truly felt like I couldn't make it through another day. She put me back on the AD and when I finally got into see her a week or so later we went over all my symptoms. I made a list of all my symptoms, from the worst to the almost minute. I gave her a copy and said "I need to know what's going on - even if it IS normal". She then ordered the bloodwork to be done the 2nd day of my period. The echocardiogram was ordered because my EKG in her office was off and she thought she heard a murmur in my chest. That checked out okay. And finally, the pinching feeling I was having over my pubic bone she dismissed as gas, but the feeling that my uterus was falling out caused her concern and so she ordered the pelvic ultrasound. I get that done this morning at 9AM.

I have never been afraid to ask for a test, question a test or treatment of ask for a specific drug. This is what we are paying them for!! We should not always defer to the DR and just go with the flow. These are OUR bodies and we KNOW when something isn't right. Ask your DR Witz for anything you want. The worst he can do is brush off your concerns (which should cause you to see someone else).

I take Vit E, a Whole Food Multi, Cal/Mag combo, Omega/Fish supplement, Lysine, Vitamin C, Chromium, & an B12. I ran out of my Evening Primrose which REALLY helps with the moods so I better get some of that!! I tried the cohosh, rose hips and vitex a while back and really didn't see any big difference. I like the mix I'm on now, but if I have Lymes, that could be causing the major fatigue I've been experiencing along with the the horrible PMDD.

I would say my most difficult challenge is staying away from candy, mostly chocolate. And I bake a lot for H, so it's hard to resist a chewy warm gooey cookie fresh from the oven, you know?

Honestly, I have to get excercising more and I know that will help with the moods and fatigue as well.

I wonder how long ultrasound results take.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
P.S. - last night i made your MILs recipe of Italian Sausage, peppers & onions with Ragu sauce in the crock pot! Yum! boyfriend liked it, too!

Would you believe that we're talking about my EX mother in law and I was the only person she EVER gave the recipe to - not even her kids, 3 boys and 2 girls!! When my exbil was eating it at last years graduation, he said, "this tastes like moms" and I said, "It is!" and he almost dropped his plate...he demanded to know why I had the recipe and he didn't. I just laughed. When I told him he was stunned that his mother was using jarred sauce! Hahahaha - glad you liked it. My H wants to know why I only make it on special occasions since it's so easy.

meowbunny

Jo, glad to hear the tests went well, especially the EKG. I'm another one that had a complete hysterectomy and think it was the best thing that ever I ever did. Had I known what a difference it made to me physically and mentally, I would have opted for one the first time it was recommended. I went the D&C and then ablation route for 10 years. Both helped for short periods of time. I did go on hormone replacement. Quit it in my late 40s and am now suffering through my third bout of menopause (one before the hysterectomy, after before I whined about the hot flashes and night sweats, and now).

I hate, hate the menopause symptoms. I don't like being moody. I don't like seat dripping off me while everyone complains they're cold. I resent getting up in the middle of the night to change my sheets. I'd go back on hormones but I'm too fearful of breast cancer (have enough problems already with fibroids and cysts). However, I've been going through menopause for 3 years now and am ready to throw in the towel. Not sure I can take much more of this.

Even with the menopause complaints, I'd recommend the hysterectomy if the doctor suggests it. It really can make a difference for a lot of your symptoms.

scent of cedar

Second and third days of the period were always the worst for me, too.

Have you tried Pamprin for mood swings and fluid retention, Jo? They say it doesn't work, but it made a wonderful difference for me.

There are some doctors who have prescribed Prozac just for the time of the woman's monthly hormonal shift ~ and the results are supposed to have been positive. (Even though antidepressants are not supposed to work like that.) St John's Wort might be something to try during that time, if the Pamprin (which contains something for mood and a diuretic) doesn't work for you.

The problem with Pamprin is that it also contains acetaminophen (Tylenol).

It did help me, though.

Barbara

Star*

call 911........call 911
HAD TO REPORT: COFFEE ON THE SCREEN MOMENT -

Quote Witz: i wish someone would just slap a happy patch on me.....

:slap:Me too honey - meeeeeee too.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Barbara, I do take Midol from time to time. It does help. My gyno had prescribed me Ponstel back in December, which is a really powerful NSAID. It was supposed to ease not only the pain, but the heavy flow.

When I told my GP she went white and said I shouldn't take that. I laughed and asked, "why because the side effects are stroke and death?" (hahaha, REAL funny) and she said, "Yes, you should not be taking that. It's not a medication for YOU" then she cited my asthma, family history, AGE, and other things. She said if I take it, only take one a day rather than the prescribed dose which if two to start and then one every 6 hours. I can't remember the dosage per pill. It sits on my sill in the kitchen, daring me to take it when I'm feeling at my worst.

And I am already taking an AD, which my gyno tried to have me double the dosage mid cycle, but I had horrible side effects which we later learned were likely caused by the fact that the Mail order Pharmacist filled the script with a generic!! Anyway, I went back down to my reg dose and when I see my DR again, we will reevaluate my options for an AD.

For now, I just take Advil or the Midol for the pain and I only take it starting the day before and through the second day. It does help some.

The DR on staff at the ultrasound lab said the preliminary results look good on my ultrasound. I guess I will hear from my reg DR on Mon/Tues.

In a way, and I know this sounds sick, I was hoping they'd find SOMETHING so I could fix it. But it appears that this is all just tied into the perimeno, which really bites because all I have to make me feel better is knowing that eventually it wil end. Sometime, someday. Wah.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I understand the needing to FIND something... Before I really admitted I was BiPolar (BP)... I kept thinking well maybe I am starting Menopause??? Ha Ha or something silly... yeah in my 20's!!!
Do not give up chocolate, or coffee... they take away everything from us women. I think it is a plot, a conspiracy. To strip us of everything!
Yeah, give us G'sFG, then take away our only thing left that makes us happy...
I hope something gets figures out.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
toto, when you sign up for weight watchers they give you this little journal (or they used to) and one of the first things I wrote in my journal that I will NOT give up EVER chocolate, wine, coffee. Everything else I can't care less about, but those three, no way!:furious:

witzend

My friend had the ablation done last year. They put a wire mesh like balloon inside of your uterus and they heat the mesh and burn off the interior of your uterus. No scraping involved. She just sloughed off the burnt tissue like a regular period.

She and her husband are both thrilled! So far, my periods are very hard but not terribly closer together than they should be. Yet. Every three weeks if not five, you know. No real spot bleeding in between. Once in a while it's every two weeks. It's the emotional toil and the extreme fatigue that is so difficult for everyone.