Breadmaker

M

Mamaof5

I got a new bread maker today (on sale from 100 bucks to 60 bucks WOOT, 40 buck difference and brand name too...).

Hit me with your best bread maker recipes.... pretty please with bread on top?

by the way - this machine can do preserves too!

InsaneCdn

Sorry, green-eyed monster came to visit.

Bread machine. Closest I can get is my two arms... and they are wearing out.

Enjoy it, though.

Marguerite

Don't make preserves no matter what it says it can do - it's a horror to clean out.

Recipes - besides basic bread, you can do stuff with bread dough and shape it. I do a savoury chelsea bun thing, our kids call them pizza scrolls. Roll out the kneaded bread dough to a long rectangle, spread it with pizza topping, sprinkle on salami, cheese, chopped olives, herbs etc then roll it up longways into one long roll, then cut 1" lengths. Put the pieces flat (so you can see the spiral) and tucked in close together on a pizza tray, then allow to rise. Once risen, bake in a hot oven until done. Bring to table in one big disc and let guests rip apart the individual rolls. Or you can break them up yourself and freeze them, I used to send these to school in the lunchbox.
Another lunchbox recipe - echidna rolls. Roll balls of bread dough, form a long snout on one side, snip the rest of the roll with scissors (to make the spikes - these get very crispy), sprinkle on grated cheese and push in two currants (or two small pieces of olives) for eyes, allow to rise then bake.

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
check out this site - it is from fleishman's yeast (sp?). Breadworld

If you have costco or sams or other bulk warehouse clubs, look for yeast there - I can get 2 POUNDS of yeast for under $5, and those little jars of yeast that are 4 ox or so are $6+ here. I usually pass one pound along. You can also get reg and bread flour a lot cheaper there too.

I will type some recipes we like in later.

ctmom05

I started with this recipe, and it is still our favorite one: Home-Style White Bread Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes I did modify it a little over time, by adding an add(reduce the liquid called for accordingly) and using the dough cycle - finishing the bread, with the second rise on the counter and baking in myt regular oven. I like the texture of oven bakes bread better than from a bread maker.

M

Mamaof5

Allrecipes.com had a bread machine one similar to the one you posted ctmom05. I can already smell the yummy goodness and it motivated me to do rice krispie squares and peanut butter cookies. Hubby is going to make dinner tonight - cannelloni & chicken parma with the newly baked bread and his infamous choco chip num num cookies....OMG my house smells so freaking yummy right now.

susiestar

Roll With It
Back when we got our first bread machine (early 90's), I got several books. My favorite is The Bread Machine Bakery Book by Richard W Langer.You have awesome timing - Jess "put it away" a couple of years ago and I have been searching for it since then. She finally found it, inside another cookbook where she had been comparing the bread machine recipe to the regular bread recipes, just a week ago.

We loved this Basic Oatmeal Bread:

1c milk, whole or skim (we always use skim)
2 T butter or canola oil (we use canola or vegetable oil)
2 c bread flour (can use reg but may need to add gluten)
1 c uncooked oatmeal (not instant but can be quick cooking or old fashioned - both work well)
2 T brown sugar (can sub reg sugar if you don't have brown)
1/4 to 1 t salt to taste (we used 1/2 tsp)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Put in bread machine following order given by manufacturer (some models want liquid first, yeast last, some are the other way around). This makes a hearty but not too heavy loaf of bread that is flavorful. My kids love it - I used to have to hide it if I didn't want it scarfed before it cooled.

Tip: You may find that you get much better results if you mix the dry ingredients, at least the yeast, flour, sugar and salt, together. DO NOT put the yeast in and plop the salt on top. The yeast will not grow if the salt is right there on it.

Tip: To have fresh bread waiting in the morning, many machines have a timer function. It is unwise to put milk, eggs, or other ingredients that will spoil in the machine if you are using this function. Butter is actually safe as long as it isn't sitting for more than a day. To use a recipe taht calls for milk, use powdered milk and water - mix the powdered milk with the flour or put it in with the dry ingredients. To make 1 cup of milk, use 1 cup water and 1/3 cup dry milk. I often add a bit of dry milk powder when using regular milk. This doesn't change the bread noticeably in most basic bread recipes and it boosts the calcium a bit. Every little bit of calcium boost helps kids, esp girls.

Tip: If you really like a recipe, make it into a bread mix. When you measure out a loaf into the machine, measure several more into ziplocs or plastic containers. Just put the dry ingredients in (it can be helpful to use powdered milk for this, then you can just add water instead of milk) and seal the bag. Write the directions for the liquid ingred, and yeast, on the bag or write them on a piece of paper and stick it into the ziploc. This makes it super fast to make mroe bread, and it adds just a few minutes to the prep time for the loaf you are making. be sure to NOT put butter into the dry ingred (husband did this and it made a big mess). If you want to put the yeast in the recipe, store the mix in the freezer and let it come to room temp before making the bread. If you have friends with bread makers, this makes a nice gift.

Sally Lunn bread is richer, but is a favorite of my kids:

3/4 c milk (or 4 1/2 T of dry milk and 3/4 c water)
2 eggs
6 t butter or margarine (butter is better)
2 c unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt (can drop to 1/4 if sodium is a concern, but you need at least 1/4 tsp)
2 t active dry yeast

Put into machine in the order specified by the bread machine directions. Add eggs to milk, cut butter into chunks so it will mix better.

Experiment with the spices you add to your bread. For garlic bread I often add 1/2 tsp of oregano or Italian seasoning, and 1 tsp of fresh minced garlic or 1/2 tsp of granulated garlic. experiment with the amt of type of spices to find what you like.

Different recipes call for different amounts of yeast, as do different size loaves of bread. This makes those little packets of yeast quite a nuisance, in my opinion. The little jars are not bad, but can be expensive at the grocery. Check natural food stores to see if they sell yeast in bulk. Around here they buy big containers and then repackage them. It costs a LOT less to buy them from the natural food stores than to get the little jars at the grocery. It is even cheaper to get the 2 pound deal at Sams (2 pounds of yeast for just under $5 here - in 2 one pound packages) even if you give away or end up tossing 3/4 of it (our groceries charge around $6 or $7 for 4 ounces of yeast in a little jar).

If you have a specific recipe you like, potato bread, whole wheat, anadama bread, etc.... let me know and I will tell you if I have it. I have several recipe books for the bread maker.

Some recipes, esp those with whole grains in them, will need help rising. Vital wheat gluten, sold near flour/yeast, is that help. Directions will be on the box or in many bread maker books and online. If you are making pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, etc..., you may find it hard to stretch the dough out enough. They do sell dough relaxers that are a big help with this. King Arthur Flour makes a great one. It is NOT necessary, but can be helpful. I tend to use a rolling pin, and my kids like really thick crust pizza, so I let them deal with that, lol.

Preserves end up being a horrible, huge mess to clean up. husband tried it once and we had to clean the entire insides of the machine - not just the pan. It was awful - esp because husband didn't see why HE had to clean it. I was the one who told him it was NOT worth doing, and he still thought that either I or jess should clean it. He got the point when I put his wallet in the nasty mess and offered to turn it on.