Can we talk BBQ?

witzend

Around here we do a pig pickin'---all BBQ is based in a vinegar sauce---Vinegar, sugar, a hint of mustard, a bit of ketchup, hot sauce, and spices. We usually serve baked beans, slaw, rice and hash (an acquired taste), rolls, and iced tea. The whole hog is placed on the grill, (round here we have pig cookers), and cooked low and slow overnight. While cooking it is doused with the sauce. Then it is chopped and everyone picks off the grill. Peach cobbler is the dessert of choice---made with fresh Georgia peaches and topped with vanilla ice cream.

Lately Mr. Sexy and I have been doing a beef brisket on the grill--more Texas than SC---but very good.

I can send you some recipes if you need them.

Oh, my goodness, YES!

witzend

I'm trying out a slow cook beef rib recipe tonight. We'll see how it goes. I have a friend who is bringing deviled eggs, so that's a definite on the menu. I bought a flat of strawberries yesterday and started my sorbet making last night. There were nectarines at the fruit stand so I will pick some of those up when I am done with the strawberries. I make a killer potato salad. German style with the dill pickles and mustard. Yum... husband is taking two days in advance off to help set up. Now all I need are the folding tables!

klmno

Oh, that all sounds delicious!! This will be a great success and I wish I was there- well...someone just needs to sample everything, right? LOL!!

H

HaoZi

If you want it real authentic, you need some cheap (read: made from 2 liter bottles) wasp/bee traps and citronella candles and lamps. ;)

witzend

HaoZi, how do you make a wasp trap from a 2-litre bottle? (I guess I'm showing my Northern roots, here...)

DDD

Witz, I saw an ad this afternoon and remembered an easy, pretty addition. You could cut watermelons in half with a decorative edge and then put melon balls plus watermelon cubes into it. I haven't done that in years but it looks so pretty and, of course, tastes so fresh. DDD

donna723

I've seen that done too with a watermelon and it looks so impressive! You cut a decorative edge on the melon so you can use it as a "bowl", then cut the melon in to cubes or little balls. You can put other kinds of fruit in with it too like strawberries or blueberries.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Mint Julep is an ART FORM - and only done around Kentucky Derby time and Carolina Cup time ------(hrumph) ask ANY Columbia Woman........

everywoman

Mint Julep is an ART FORM - and only done around Kentucky Derby time and Carolina Cup time ------(hrumph) ask ANY Columbia Woman........

Lol--so true Star.

DDD

But, lol, it might work in my Cutty Sark scotch! DDD

Come to think of it, a little fresh mint would add to the beauty of the watermelon...sans bouban or scotch, of courese. lol DDD

Marguerite

With the watermelon bowl, I use a melon baller to scoop out the watermelon into balls. I also make balls from other fruit - apples, pears etc. Honeydew melon, rockmelon - add a lovely colour contrast as well as flavour. Also you can throw in some lychees which are also round.

Other dessert suggestions - banana parcels (with chocolate, wrapped in foil) are yum. Peach halves and pineapple slices, dipped in brown sugar and caramelised on the BBQ plate then served with pouring cream or custard - gorgeous! You can add a dollop of alcohol of your choice with the sugar to form a sauce. I like to use Malibu or other coconut-flavoured rum with the pineapple slices.

Another one - mango cheeks dipped in brown sugar (leave the skin on) and caramelised on the cut surface.

We eat a lot of fruit in Australia at our barbecues. Fruit kebabs are great, served with a chocolate dipping sauce. or a chocolate fondue.

Marg

klmno

I forgot one of my favorite sides with BBQ- potatoes and onions roasted or slowly baked in butter with paprika.