Circle of support for Andy

tiredmommy

Andy's dear fur baby chased a car, was hit and passed away today. Please join me in circling her and her family at the loss of this most special member of her family.

Reaching out from New York State... who will take my hand?

H

HaoZi

Kiddo and I will. Sending our dearest sympathies and reaching out from Indiana to....

Jena

i just saw facebook, it was the little one...... how's difficult child doing?? i'm so sorry that's so sad andy

nvts

to New York...I'm so sorry Andy...if there were only words to say it all...God Bless you and the family...many hugs...reaching out to....

Beth

Andy

Thank you so much! Yes, this has been very hard for us. It was our sweet goldendoodle. She was 10 months old. She went to our property in the country for the day and bolted after a car on a nearby country road.

difficult child saw everything. He went to try to help her and as he stroked her head, she bit him. She died within minutes.

The property is about an hour away. I told husband that I was on my way. He answered, "difficult child can ride home with me" "Are you coming home now?" "No, I still have work to do." "Then I am coming out!"

I am glad I did. I think I needed to do so for myself as well as bring difficult child home. I also was able to help husband move a huge round hay bale to dig a grave. difficult child wanted to bury her on our property in town but I don't think we can. Besides, we most likely will not always have this home but the country property will be his and Diva's someday and most likely will stay in the family for generations to come.

difficult child is doing very well under the circumstances. He dug most of the grave. husband asked if he wanted to put sweet puppy in the grave and after I told him he didn't have to if he didn't want to he decided not to. difficult child stated how comfortable sweet puppy looked.

I keep forgetting that the children's walk-in is open Sundays. difficult child showed me the palm of his hand - it was over 1 1/2 hours since it happened and he had not cleaned it. Later that night it looked black around the area but was getting better late last night and today. difficult child said the black was just dirt - I should have looked closer.

We kept our plans to visit Diva today to help her with a class project. I then came home this afternoon and a facebook connection suggested that I take difficult child into have the bite looked at. She said it should be cleaned throughly. So, I took him to the walk-in this afternoon. It is a little red and swollen. The doctor put difficult child on a strong antibiotic and said to keep an eye on it - if it gets worse to bring him back. difficult child is current with his tentus shot (last year) and sweet puppy was current with hers. I think he will be o.k. but feel much better with the antibiotics on board just in case.

We are stunned and devistated. I am glad difficult child didn't have to go to school today. He was a model for his sister's photography assignment and you could tell he didn't have joy within. He was also weepy during brunch.

We have a therapist appointment on April 8th so I called and left a note for therapist so he can be prepared with some resources. Yesterday difficult child set up a residency on Rainbows Bridge (I will send in a check this week once we get the posting of picture figured out). He also told some friends on his X-box that although he will never forget her he knows he will not hurt this bad forever. He is trying so hard to get the scene of the accident out of his mind by remembering the good times. We are pulling together pictures of her to help with that. He set up a memorial on a bookshelf in the livingroom with a shadow box of a picture of him and her with her collar and tags in the box, a favorite toy on display as well as her food dish. We are going to find a small flat "dish" to put a favorite treat on display.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. Give difficult child a hug for me, if he will accept it. Sending them to the entire family.

Having her on the country property will be a help in later years. You might let him make a marker for it. Then he won't get upset for "losing" where her. With the exception of gfgbro's dog who was killed in Idaho, all of our animals are around a tree in my parents' yard. I know that Wiz sometimes still goes to talk to Freckles out there.

You can get a kit to mold a marker for her. Or if you have a silicone cake pan or even the bottom of an appropriately sized cardboard box you can use that. Line the pan with several layers of newspaper, making very sure that all the sides and corners are covered. Cover the newspaper with 2 layers of plastic wrap. This is to protect the pan. If you use a cardboard box, just line it with newspaper to keep it from leaking out of any corners or seams. You can just cover them with package sealing tape from the inside if you want. Or use an old cake pan that you don't mind throwing away.

Then go to the store and get plaster of paris (can go get cement mix from Lowe's or home despot if you prefer that). Mix the plaster as directed, tint if desired - if you have tempera/poster paint you can add that to the water or the wet plaster. Stir in thoroughly. Pour into pan/box/whatever and then see if whatever rocks, decorations, etc... stay on the top or sink. If they sink, let it sit and check every 30 min or so until the decorations sit in the plaster but don't sink.

Decorate, let dry for several days, and pop out of the mold. If it is in a cardboard box you can just rip it away. If the bottom of the box stays attached it won't hurt anything. Silicone cake pan can be just pulled off. Or if you don't want the cake pan, just leave it on. Then give the marker a few more days to fully dry. After that, bury it level with the ground in the appropriate place.

FYI, try to get the marker 1 1/2-2 inches deep so the stone will last.

(If you have extra plaster that is tinted (or that you are willing to tine), it can be poured into empty toilet paper rolls or molds for jello/candy. After it hardens it will work as sidewalk chalk. Plaster of paris is best for this.

I know it was a big help for my kids when we did this, and it might help difficult child process his grief also.