Counting my blessings

Mandy

Parent In Training
I just wanted to update for all of you that have followed our saga with Little Bear. I have definitly came to realize I have to cherish these good moments!

1. Little Bear seems to be "stabalized" for lack of a better word, from his medication change.
2. Biodad agreed to NO overnights which thrilled Little Bear! He did his first weekly visit last night for a few hours and was excited when I picked him up before bed.
3. I spoke w. his principal after she read the evaluation. and she is confident they are ready to handle Little Bear. She said the sp ed teacher is CIB Certified?? (don't know the lingo) and that the school psychiatrist was getting his evaluation first thing Monday to go over. They also have a crisis team in place for any rages so I felt so much relief.

I think a lightbulb went off finally for me regarding Little Bear's disorder. It's crazy that I know I am a smart woman, yet it took so much for me to realize that we will probably always have these challenges and tough times. Maybe it's finally just accepting everything that's included and realizing I can't "fix" this or cure him.

Thank you again for all the support!

Andy

:angel: Cool! I can feel the calmness you are enjoying at the moment.

Yes, count your blessings and hang on to them. Each step you will learn and as you face what may seem like impossible days, you can look into yourself and know you will make it through.

What a awesome blessing to feel the cooperation of the school. Hang onto that one and keep it secure and safe. That one will be a huge help.

tiredmommy

{{{Mandy}}}

I'm glad you've found a good place! I've often thought of parenting a difficult child as a marathon rather than a sprint. My experience with Duckie is that, with the correct types of support and realistic expectations, that she is very nearly a easy child. The thing to watch for, though, is that her supports and expectations must change as she changes or she quickly slips back into gfgdom.

maril

The thing to watch for, though, is that her supports and expectations must change as she changes or she quickly slips back into gfgdom.
You make a good point.

Mandy: Thanks for sharing your positive news. It is good to hear. You know, it took time for the "lightbulb" to go on for me with my difficult child, too, so you are not alone. :D

Mandy

Parent In Training
Thanks for sharing my good moment with me!! Tiredmommy that is such a good point! I like the Marathon analogy:D

Christy

Good news on the no overnight visits and that's great that you've had a light bulb moment. Things became much less stressful for me when I realized that I didn't need to worry about difficult child keeping up with his peers. I had to accept that there are things he just can't handle and start focusing my energy on helping him be the best he can be.