Detachment - is it REALLY necessary? - long.......

happymomof2

Wow Nola, glad he has got it all figured out. How long does it take to get like that.

I need to and will look up that link that was mentioned.

I know nothing about detachment but it sounds like a good thing to keep our sanity. One of things about the trouble they get into sometimes is they want that reaction from us. The OMG.. reaction. My easy child daughter is that way. Perhaps some of my difficult child son is as well.

goldenguru

I am angry with just about everyone (husband for not taking charge, for not finding difficult child & beating some sense into him – instead he just takes the position of ‘waiting’ - difficult child 2 for being oblivious to what is going on right before her eyes; her lack of empathy – my friends for not being better friends - difficult child 1 for choosing this way of life, for throwing away his opportunities, his family, etc., and angry most of all with myself.

I find it interesting that you mentioned your anger toward hubby, difficult child 2, friends and LASTLY difficult child 1. When a person becomes 'angry with just about everyone' - I'd say that's a symptomatic of something - ya know? Really - it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor.

I think your husbands letter was very balanced and very sensitive. I think he makes sound arguments in terms of your difficult child. It is obvious he still very much loves your son - but also recognizes the futility of 'coerced rehab'. You can't force someone to want to get better. I wish we could - but we can't.

Detachment really is necessary - if you want to help your son and stay sane in the process.

I'm really sorry.