did you know?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Lothlorien, Oct 5, 2009.

  1. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    Raisins and grapes are toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure? Who knew? I never knew. My dog goes after my kids' raisin boxes when they leave them on the table when they are done. I don't know how many raisins she's actually consumed, but they are bad for dogs.

    Just thought I'd pass that along.

    Bloodwork and urinalysis were done...we'll get results tomorrow. Vet seems much more optimistic today than he was a few weeks ago.
  2. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator

    I did know this, but only because my KIDS told me. I would never have known otherwise.
  3. Kathy813

    Kathy813 Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I knew that from frequenting a dog forums website. Another thing to be careful about is sugar free gum. Some artificial sweeteners are toxic to dogs.

    Gracie (my 2-year-old Shih Tzu) ate about half a bottle of sugar free chewable fiber tablets one morning when I was getting ready for school. When I realized what had happened, I called the emergency vet (my vet's office wasn't open yet) and they told me to call the people poison control number. I was surprised that they would answer questions about animals but they did. They said that the artificial sweetener in the tablets was not the same as the one in chewing gum so she should be okay but to take her to the vet when they opened. She stayed for the day so they could watch her and she was fine except for a couple of loose poops.

    Dogs can be more trouble than difficult children sometimes.

    I'm glad that the vet thought things were looking up. Now you have to get your kids to be careful about leaving things out that the dog shouldn't have. I still have to remind my 21 and 24 year old not to leave things within the dog's reach (and she is only 12 inches high . . . you wouldn't think that would be all that hard).

  4. donna723

    donna723 Well-Known Member

    Also never give dogs chocolate ... or onions.
  5. Star*

    Star* call 911........call 911


    This is good to print out and put on your fridge

    Also keep in mind with the holiday season coming up - Poinsettias are lethal to dogs as are a bunch of other common houseplants.

    Dieffenbachias aka Dumbcanes - if licked can cause seizures in dogs and kill them if ingested. If you want a list of poisonous house plants - let me know I'll post the list.
  6. crazymama30

    crazymama30 Active Member

    Crayons are supposed to be too, but we had a dog who loved to eat crayons and never got sick. Made for a colorful backward though.
  7. tiredmommy

    tiredmommy Site Moderator

    Thanks, Star... I'd love to see a list. I need one for kittehs, but many others need one for the pups they love. :)
  8. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    I found out sometime back......but can say my dogs have eaten them without bad effects.......maybe it's the amt.....maybe depends on the dog? But then my dogs eat chocolate when they can get hold of it, drink coffee out of my cup if I leave it where they can reach.........yeah. lol With no obvious bad effect. Never forget the time Betsy ate one of those enormous bags of m&ms. That did scare me, but didn't phase her.

    I do try to keep them away from the stuff they shouldn't have, sometimes they just outsmart me. lol
  9. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Our vet told me that different dogs have different tolerances to these things. Also, he said that with things like coffee/coffee grounds and onions, it depends on the amount they gget a hold of. He said that most won't like the taste so if they are getting in the garbage, for instance, they might get a little of the coffee grounds, but they are really going for the table scraps. That makes sense, but I had an acquaintance whose cat got into a little bit of potato salad and the small amount of onion in that killed the cat. The vet verified that it could not have been anything else. My aunt gave her small dog leftover ham and the dog died- again, her vet verified that it was the ham.

    I had not known about grapes and raisens until the vet and I had this discussion a month or so ago. I think he also mentiioned cranberries but I'm not positive. Grapes stuck out in my mind because I had given a couple to one of my dogs before. I try to take note about stuff like this since a had a very beloved dog once that I fed a lot of table food (cooked, healthy for humans) to and he became diabetic at 3 years old. I was told that he probably had a genetic predisposition and the food I fed him obviously didn't kill him but it caused his pancreas to quit functioning normally and it stopped secreting insulin. After spending 7 years of giving him urine tests and shots of insulin twice a day, I try not to take the chance anymore.
  10. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful


    My dogs have eaten ham all their lives. Actually just baked an enormous ham yesterday. Didn't think a think about giving Rowdy the huge bone....all the dogs a bunch of the scraps...even gave a sm amount of scraps to the cats. Never been an issue.
  11. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    That's what my aunt said she did, too. Maybe it was just a fluke or a pet-peeve with her vet, I don't know- but he told her that dog's don't digest ham like other meats and it builds up (or something like that) in their digestive systems and eventually, it can kill them. I have heard other vets say pork is not good and some don't make issue of it. I thinnk maybe it's like chocolate, in the sense that some it kills and some it doesn't- I have given many a dog a bite of chocolate and NONE have gotten sick or died from it. However, I have heard from several reputable sources that it can kill a dog.
  12. GoingNorth

    GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

    Small amts of MILK chocolate are very unlikely to harm a healthy dog. Dark chocolate is another story, and as little as one square of baking chocolate has been known to kill dogs, especially small ones.

    With onions the risk is of causing a blood disorder called Heinz Body Anemia. This applies to both cats and dogs. In fact, it is now recommended that human infants not be given onions or garlic in the first year or two of life.

    That said, a touch of onion or garlic powder is unlikely to be a problem.