difficult child Always Reverts To Physical Threats

Winnielg

I am new to this site but have been going through this for years. My 17 year old Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)/ODD/Bipolar son not only regularly makes threats but has acted on them multiple times over the years starting in the 8th grade. He is currently 6'1" and 200 lbs. In our area we have both a child and adult service called Mobile Crisis. When you call them, them call the police who are dispatched to wherever the problem is happening to maintain safety until the Mobile Crisis team can arrive - it is usually 2-3 trained professionals like psychologists psychiatrists/social workers etc. We utilize this service several times per year. You should check into this in your area. I am in Central New York.

It is very difficult to feel unsafe in your home with your own child - things by me are escalating as we get closer to supposed adulthood. The spectrum disorder therapist we see said this is very typical as kids are becoming "adults". A very long story, but we now have a zero tolerance policy for all violence AND threatening menacing behavior.

Bunny

I never thought of that, Daisy. It's a possibility that this is what he is doing. Just saying what he thinks will get him his way, regardless of whether he means it or not. Problem is, there have been times when difficult child really does try to go after either easy child or me.