difficult child is having his bone biopsy today

F

firehorsewoman

difficult child is having his bone biopsy today.

He is such a tough kid. He has not been phased by any of it at all and he knows just what is going on. Being tough and difficult does not always serve him well but at times like these I am so grateful for those traits!

TerryJ2

Best of luck! I hope it goes smoothly and you get results quickly. It's hard enough going through it (even though he's tough) but then there's the waiting part ...
Many hugs.

F

firehorsewoman

Procedure went well. difficult child is doing well. Best news is no cancer! "Just" a bad infection (osteomyelitis with bone sequestrum) which is no walk in the park but that sure beats cancer. Not sure how the doctor plans on treating yet...maybe some surgery and IV antibiotics in his near future.

He did great with everything he went through today. I was so proud of him and of course relieved that cancer is not what we are fighting.

Thanks for all of the support!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
FHW, this is really good news, you must be so incredibly relieved. BIG SIGH. Big cyber hug coming your way and one for your brave boy too!

TerryJ2

WHEW!!!!
What a relief.
Not sure how they administer antibiotics into the bone but it may be painful. In the meantime, I'm sure difficult child is taking a lot orally.
SOoooooo happy THAT's overwith!
Treat yourselves nicely today. :)

DDD

I just had to check for an update before I hit the hay. I am SO glad that it isn't cancer. Also I am delighted that he did so well. Sending hugs. DDD

F

firehorsewoman

WHEW!!!!
What a relief.
Not sure how they administer antibiotics into the bone but it may be painful. In the meantime, I'm sure difficult child is taking a lot orally.
SOoooooo happy THAT's overwith!
Treat yourselves nicely today. :)

Unfortunately, Terry difficult child is not on any antibiotics yet!!! This problem is usually treated with heavy IV antibiotics first then switched to oral after they document good response IV. He may have to have surgery too. We just don't know exactly because his care has to be transferred from the cancer facility to an infectious disease doctor before anything can happen! Also, the doctors want to wait on culture results to determine just what antibiotic to use. They took cultures with the biopsy.

With the long weekend and all the red tape we don't know when the infectious disease doctors at the other hospital will take over his case. It is all very frustrating. The past few months have been nothing but medical turmoil and frustration for me and my difficult child.

Thankfully, difficult child is doing well at home for now. His pain is controlled and he does not felt febrile lately.

His psychiatrists had wanted to continue to increase his lithium dose but I want to stay at current dose until this infection is under control. Will talk to them about that and luckily they are at the same hospital as the infectious disease folks so if there are any issues with this they can help us while he is there.

TerryJ2

With the long weekend and all the red tape we don't know when the infectious disease doctors at the other hospital will take over his case. It is all very frustrating. The past few months have been nothing but medical turmoil and frustration for me and my difficult child.

Aaaaargh! I would be screaming! I am so sorry. That is really frustrating. I am glad that at least, difficult child is resting at home. But I hope that Monday brings results and useful procedures.

F

firehorsewoman

Aaaaargh! I would be screaming! I am so sorry. That is really frustrating. I am glad that at least, difficult child is resting at home. But I hope that Monday brings results and useful procedures.[/QUOTE]

I wish it were as soon as Monday but doctors are all off on Monday due to the holiday. I guess it is not a medical emergency to them since this infection has probably been festering for months. But as his mom I want treatment to happen faster! They told us that we "might" get a call on Tuesday. Realistically my son probably won't be seen before Wednesday or later. I am screaming....inside!!!

lovelyboy

So sorry that you are going through this tough time!
So very greatfull for the cancer free news!

Hope you are less of a control freak than I am.....and less anxious!? Because I would go mad with this waiting!
Plenty of hugs and gentle blessings coming your way!

buddy

I am so glad this turned out to be treatable but wow it sounds so painful. I hope he can start a treatment plan quickly! I'd not be good waiting either.