difficult child wanted to do voluntary commit

oceans

I guess you are right in that he thought it a best alternative at the moment, but we are thinking that deep down he knows things are not right. The therapist says that he screams for help from some of his actions. We called the police because that is what therapist told us to do. I don't think we would have gotten anywhere with an ambulance because when they arrived he would not have been out of control. He was just hiding under the covers in bed. They would not have considered it an emergency. I doubt our insurance would have paid for an ambulance. I think we did the right thing, and it worked out the right way. I guess we all need to make our own best choices.

JJJ

In our town any call for a psychiatric emergency brings not only the ambulance you requested but 2 police cars and a fire truck. I can understand the police because a raging child can be dangerous, but I still don't get the firetruck...

Oceans-With his medication being unstable, the psychiatric hospital is the best place to get his medications sorted out. Hopefully it will help.

dreamer

the firetruck goes on calls here becuz it has additional medical equipment that does not fit on the ambulance truck, and yes the police also come on all ambulance calls, BUT calling it in as an ambulance call sets a different tone for the incident. When you call police and term it a police issue, typically the mindset is that there is a crime being commited, and probably a victim and a criminal and expectation of charges being filed. If you tell dispatch you want an ambulance and call it a medical emergency, then the tone of the call in the eyes of the responders is that someone is ill and needs help. When the authorities arrive, for a "medical call" they usually are not pysched up in the same mindset and are not especially looking for a criminal or to file criminal charges against someone.

dreamer

PS and some insurance companies will not pay for medical help that is sought for something related to a crime being commited. ANd some have a disclaimer that it does not matter if "sane or insane" (their wording, not mine)

O

OTE

So how are things today?

Yes, sure sounds to me like he didn't want to go for treatment but to get away from a difficult situation for him and into an easier situation. Maybe he does know he needs treatment but since he's been refusing it...I don't think that's what's really going on in agreeing to go to the hospital. And now that he's been there a couple of days and sees that you're right he's likely not happy! But that's a good thing, let them try medications if he rages there. Let's just pray they keep him long enough to get him stable on something. Does your policy say 30 days a year?

oceans

Dreamer- When the police were called they were told the situation beforehand. They did not come to our house for anything criminal. When they came in they asked to talk to the psychologist on the phone and he told them the situation. They went upstairs only with the intent of talking to him, not pressing any charges. The University hospital we went to does not use ambulances to transport any patients for voluntary commitments. When they transferred him out to a different hospital, they used the sheriff's department to do so. That is their policy... to use the police department for transport in such situations. My insurance is covering us because we did things the correct way. I called them today and they are even giving us in- network coverage for the out of network transfer. It sounds like it is different where you live.

OTE- Today is no different. He is still very angry and not talking. I honestly think that the only thing that might help is if they find the right medications to lift some of the depression. The insurance only gives us 30 days, and that makes it difficult. AD's take several weeks to really work, and even if we add the Lamictal as we had originally planned...that needs to be increased slowly as well....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
oceans

I'm sorry I didn't see this post sooner, but I was only on the board for a few minutes last time I was here.

I think it's good difficult child asked to go to hospital. I know that when N agreed to go, once she got there she didn't really want to be there anymore. That passed after I think the 2nd day. Then she settled down and focused on doing the right things for discharge.

difficult child may be saying now that he's having 2nd thoughts that he thought it was going to be a mini vacation, but he is where he needs to be. I so hope they can get his medications adjusted and get him more stable for when he comes home.

(((((hugs)))))

dreamer

Maybe it is diff where I live.I apologize for replying at all to your post. I seem to have upset you greatly with my point of view on his reason for going to psychiatric hospital in first place and by discussing how it might be handled here. Here we do not use private ambulance, we call 9-1-1 and ask for ambulance.....and here our police are not trained in negotiating with mentally ill.....and here for voluntary commit, usually you have to transport yourself.

My apologies.

oceans

Thank you DaisyLover. I hope that he will eventually come around...but I don't know. I am worried that he will not, and what the future will hold.

It's OK dreamer. I actually would rather not have had the police involved. I was not very happy when the Medical Center held him all night, and did not get the Sheriff transport in place until 4AM. Poor difficult child. They actually changed him to non voluntary for the transfer, and they refused to let us drive him over there ourselves, or to go with him.

rejectedmom

Oceans, I am sorry that you are having so much turmoil in your life. I hope your difficult child is stable and doing better soon. Sending (((HUGS))) -RM