Doxepin

crazymama30

Has anyone had any experience with this medication? It is being used for sleep for my husband.

It sounds like it has many uses, and I hope it works. Just curious.

Josie

My daughter was on this about a year ago to help with a chronic headache and sleep.

We used it for a couple of months before taking her off from it because we thought it might be giving her tachycardia.

It did work for sleep but it didn't help her headache. It also was not the cause of her tachycardia.

During the time she was on it, she appeared to feel better than she has in a while. We had made other changes in her treatment that we thought were the cause, but looking back, we have decided maybe it was the Doxepin. So we are trying it again to see what happens. I just gave her the first dose tonight.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I hate medications that work no better than tic tacs. ughhh Sorry it didn't help with the sleep. ((hugs))

Josie

How much did he take? We were given a starting dose but told we could go up.

I only gave her 5 mg because she doesn't need it to sleep now, but her prescription is for 20 mg. I think she was taking 30 mg before.

Last edited:

flutterby

Fly away!
It's an antidepressant. I think difficult child was on it for a short time, but I can't remember why we stopped it. Probably didn't work.

crazymama30

well, with husband they do not start at the starting dose. psychiatrist put him on 150mg. Not sure if he will sleep tonight as he just woke up at 7pm, but might try it another night or two. What can it hurt? I am pretty sure he is gonna end up manic or in a mixed state soon anyways. He sees psychiatrist on Monday

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If it is an antidepressant then it most likely needs to reach optimum blood levels in order to work well. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone, just most people.

Geez I hope he levels soon. I bet it is the holidays keying him up. Holidays and difficult children do not mix well. ugh

And not sleeping just makes it more intense.

((hugs))

susiestar

Roll With It
I took this for almost a year to help with fibromyalgia. It did zilch for depression but was fairly effective with fibro. I used the liquid form and only needed a very small dose. Due to the problems I was having, and how they changed in severity from day to day, my rheumatologist gave me a range of doses and I used any amount inside that range to get the best benefits with the least side effects.

Josie

My daughter's psychiatrist has suggested it at different times for my daughter's chronic pain, sleep, and nausea. I thought the sleepiness was a side effect of the a/d and put to good use for people who need help getting to sleep. If that is the case, it doesn't seem like it will work for your husband.

It's good that he has an appointment coming up so soon and he can see what his psychiatrist thinks.

Last edited: