Dual Recovery Anonymous (DRA)

Discussion in 'Substance Abuse Archives' started by ahall, Nov 12, 2002.

1. ahall

ahall New Member

While browsing the web for other NA meetings for my son to attend in the area, I stumbled across something called Dual Recovery Anonymous (DRA). It is like AA and NA - but according to its website:

<font color = blue>Dual Recovery Anonymous is an independent, twelve step, nonprofessional, self-help organization for people with a dual diagnosis. Our goal is to help men and women who experience a dual illness. We are chemically dependent and we are also affected by an emotional or psychiatric illness. Both illnesses affect us in all areas of our lives; physically, psychologically, socially, and spiritually.</font>

My son was in a dual-diagnostic RTC for 10 months and I never heard of this group. I can't believe no one ever mentioned it to him or to us. I have no idea if it will pan out, but found out from their website (they have a state by state listing of meeting locations just like AA and NA do) that there is a meeting place about 10 minutes from my home! My son is "supposed" to go to the meeting there tomorrow to see what it is like. If he goes, I will let you know how he liked it.

I just thought I would mention it - as so many of our childen have psych disorders and then turn to drug.

Here is the link:
    http://draonline.org/index.html

Deb
  2. Guest

Excellent- thanks. Do you believe they don't even have one in NYC! Not that my gfg is even close to ready for this, but someday....