Eeyore is at HIGH SCHOOL

JJJ

Eeyore started high school today. I think all of the prep work that we did prior to today really helped as he was 99% excited and only 1% scared.

They start with a full day!!!

T

TeDo

When something works, it WORKS. Way to go Mom!! Fill us in when he gets home.

JJJ

Mixed results.

Best I can tell, he had a great day except for math. He got either goofy or mouthy to the teacher and got in trouble (I think just a stern look and a "knock it off"). He came home in an okay mood but it went quickly south (as I am sure he was brooding about getting yelled at in math and how by not telling me he was lying and since he was lying that meant he was evil and should be locked up right now and is going to hell).

Ended with him storming away from the dinner table and punching a hole in my newly painted foyer wall. Fun. Not. Since with the direction of his therapist we had created a "Clear Expectation" plan listing the 12 things he wants to be allowed to do and our expectations for his behavior and grades in order to be allowed to do those things, I didn't have to think about the punishment. Damage to property is a major offense which results in 7 days of privilige loss and up to 30 days of restrictions (depending on how he is doing across the board, there is a whole chart -- per his request).

He prefers to communicate in writing when he is upset so I gave him this letter:

Letter said:
As you cansee on your 'Clear Expectations' papers, damaging property is a major offense.The consequences for a major offense are now in effect. Please understand thatthis is a choice that you made. You were given clear expectations for yourbehavior and a clear explanation of what would happen if you choose to commit amajor offense.
Right nowstarts your ability to earn your way back to privileges. I hope that youcan do that quickly. It is 100% up to you to choose your behaviors.

It was quiet for a while but I just heard him hit the wall again. Didn't sound hard enough to add another hole to the many in his room....

InsaneCdn

First day of high school is BRUTAL. Frosh week. Tons of noise, tumult, confusion. Lots of pranks and practical jokes.
Even if all the classes had gone perfectly, you could still have gotten this.

I mean - I'd probably have a melt-down too, if I had to go back to the first week of high school.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm sorry he had such a melt down. Sorry about your wall as well. It's good the expectations and consequences are so clear. That should help. (((hugs)))

T

TeDo

Since the letter refers to things HE agareed to, I hope he is willing to comply without too much more damage. I agree with Insane, the first WEEK of high school is brutal. It is a huge change (noise, routine, people, etc) from the summer. Hope it calms down fast. {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}} to you both.

JJJ

Well, he calmed down enough to not only do his English assignment, but worked with me to edit it and get it into the format required for school. And, he nailed it and it would get an A in a regular ed class (and since he is in the sped class, he better get an A+!!)

InsaneCdn

Rack the issues up to frosh week, then!

Homework? first day of school? and you're getting cooperation?

That bodes well going into the new year!!!

T

TeDo

YEAH Eyore. I am very glad things ended on a better note. I hope it continues. In our house, that would be a sure sign of progress.

M

ML

My prayers are with him.. and with all our kiddos going through transitions this year. Manster starts Middle School Monday. He threw up last Monday before he had to register... but after opening the locker 5 times, walking around the school and running into one of his friends (there will be a few from his K-6 but the majority went to a different feeder school) he feels a bit better.

JJJ

He threw another fit Friday because he had to come to the campground with me to wait for his dad to pick him up instead of being allowed to stay home alone (due to punching the wall yesterday). I just got home from camping and he handed me his homework folder. He has 3 assignments due on Monday and didn't start any of them "I was waiting for you." I pointed out that I already did freshman year and that I doubted he need me to help him make a list of 5 facts from his past, 5 facts about his present and 5 hopes for his future. Now he is all grumpy cause he is trying to order me around and i am just giving him the raised eyebrow look.

JJJ

:rofl: husband just watched me help Eeyore with a simple logic problem from his homework. What should have taken 10 minutes tops took almost 40. He was spinning in circles, giggling, etc. husband now gets why I am exhausted by the time he gets home on school days (he always thought, how hard can the 3 hours after school be lol).

keista

Good that you can laugh about it. I just get tired.

I do hope your husband REMEMBERS this next time he comes home and you are exhausted.