F connect???

Status
Not open for further replies.

klmno

OK, someone please tell me if this is a facebook connection and if there's something I need to do, either on the board or facebook, or both, to make sure there is no automatic connection on my facebook page. I really don't want my "non CD" friends on facebook to be able to look me up here.

Lothlorien

Cheryl just enabled it. It is a log in only..a way to log in using your FB log in. Nothing else will change. No info is shared. Nothing will show up on your FB page.

Last edited:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Loth, how does it work? If someone DOES connect this site or a thread to FB, will our posts show up there on their wall or whatever?

Suz

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Ummmm, I don't need the world seeing my stuff either. This is something we have to opt-in to, right? I'll trust that it is...

Mattsmom277

Question came to my mind. So myself for example, will NOT be clicking on the "connect" button. So, let's say Suzie B. Busy DOES use the connect feature. Can that person then link to OUR posts on their walls etc? If we respond to a thread someone has linked to or something, does our response show? Guess I'm wondering what exactly members have an ability to share, or if this new feature just lets people find each other within FB or something. Don't want to click it in order to learn what it does or does not enable ;)

donna723

I was wondering that myself! There aren't very many threads here that people would want showing up on their Facebook pages!

DammitJanet

I think my son Billy has a name here from when I was in the hospital. I will have him come on and click it and then see what he can see when he gets home from work okay? He never comes on here anymore but has kept his membership on the off chance that something should ever happen to me again.

R

runawaybunny

I agree with you 100% about being cautious when using social networking sites. Social networking lures people into sharing way too much personal info. It is also notorious for "accidentally" leaking personal info. Facebook in Privacy Breach - Wall Street Journal , Facebook, MySpace Confront Privacy Loophole - Wall Street Journal

From the Electronic Frontier Foundation:

Sites like Facebook and Twitter provide users with a place to share personal information with friends, family, and the public — an activity that's proven to be hugely compelling to Internet users. In response to the demand, technology is evolving to encourage the disclosure of information that was formerly discreet (like location), and to enable the sharing of information even when not sitting in front of a traditional computer (like from mobile phones).

But it doesn't take much forethought to realize that there are countless privacy pitfalls in a world where a near-endless stream of personal bits is indiscriminately posted, indefinitely stored, and quietly collected and analyzed by marketers, identity thieves, and professional government snoops in America and abroad. The public controversies that have erupted to date — Facebook's drastic terms of service changes and Google Buzz's forced sharing of email contacts — are only the first snares in a rapidly growing thicket of social networking privacy issues.

I have facebook, google and twitter accounts but have not entered any personal info in my accounts, there's nothing in my personal profiles other than my name, general location and pics. (How to Disable Facebook's Facial Recognition Feature, Courtesy of the EFF) I have heard that many tech saavy users recommend that their friends and family not ever use any real info on social networking sites, use only fake names, info, etc. That same advice applies to this site.

We do now offer facebook connect for this site so I am familiar with fb's policy of funneling their member's profile info to affiliated sites. Just in case anyone wonders we will never import any of the personally identifiable data that is offered to this site by fb or any other data provider. We also will never send any info back to fb. My decision not to collect or share that data is deliberate, but you can bet that there are many other sites that use facebook likes or facebook connect that are eager to collect as much of your profile data as they can get.

We don't use fb likes. We don't share anything you post here with fb. Still worried about it? Don't click the fb connect button.

DammitJanet

I find that information interesting Cheryl about the emails. I have noticed recently that facebook, google and youtube are forcing you to share gmail addresses. Interesting...very interesting...said in a thick accent!

Mattsmom277

Good info Cheryl :)

A question still though, given all that facebook connect will NOT do from this site if you click it, I'm confused what it DOES do? lol

R

runawaybunny

Facebook connect provides an API for other websites to leverage Facebook logins. Facebook supports OpenID 2.0, allowing an existing account to have an OpenID associated as an alternative login method.

From wikipedia:

OpenID is an open standard that describes how users can be authenticated in a decentralized manner, obviating the need for services to provide their own ad hoc systems and allowing users to consolidate their digital identities.

The OpenID protocol does not rely on a central authority to authenticate a user's identity. Moreover, neither services nor the OpenID standard may mandate a specific means by which to authenticate users, allowing for approaches ranging from the common (such as passwords) to the novel (such as smart cards or biometrics).

OpenID authentication is now used and provided by several large websites. Providers include AOL, BBC, Google, IBM, MySpace, Orange, PayPal, VeriSign, LiveJournal, and Yahoo!.

klmno

No offense meant at all, but are you sure this is worth it? I can see myself being half asleep and accidentally clicking the wrong place at some point. Couldn't you just make a CD facebook page and let whomever wants to join without linking it at all?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I agree with KLMNO.

As you know, I am not tech-savvy and didn't understand your explanation, Cheryl. Sorry.

It seems like such a conflict.........this is supposed to be our private, safe place to land. To connect it to a social networking site is lost on me.

Suz

R

runawaybunny

Perhaps I am being too bold here. I'm not trying to force anything on you. This whole OpenID system came out years ago. I waited until they released a version that had safeguards in place before I enabled it here. If you are not comfortable with it then don't use it.

In my opinion it would be unlikely that anyone could "accidentally" use facebook connect. Once you click the button there are forms you have to fill out.

klmno

Cheryl, this is one of my big concerns that maybe you could explain to me in layman's terms. If I have befriended a person from this board on my facebook page and that person decides to link using this new option, do I need to do anything either here on this board or on my facebook page to make absolutely certain that that person's other facebook friends cannot see my facebook entries and thus, figure out who I am here and see my posts here? Doesn't it have something to do with that friend's settings on facebook, which we have no control over? If this is a possibility, just let me know so I can "un-friend" any members from here on my facebook page- not that I want to do that but I can't take the risk of a domino effect on facebook.

JJJ

K -- Go to your privacy settings and make sure everything is set on "friends only" and not on "friends of friends".

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I don't plan to connect to FB from here because for me, I want to keep this part of my life private, or at least somewhat "controlled" as to who knows I post here. I use my real name on FB, otherwise, how would my friends/colleagues find me?...and I don't want the connection made between my screenname here and my real name on FB.

My question is if you, or someone else, connects to FB using this, does that provide a direct link to this site and my/our posts?

I can understand a FB connection if this was a site because we all loved model trains or dolls or Justin Bieber. But this is an intensely personal site, exposing not only ourselves but also our family members. I am not at all comfortable with this concept and I want to understand what happens to my posts if others connect there.

JJJ- I already have that setting on FB. Not all of my friends and almost none of my colleagues know of this site or the extent of my life with difficult child.

Suz

R

runawaybunny

Cheryl, this is one of my big concerns that maybe you could explain to me in layman's terms. If I have befriended a person from this board on my facebook page and that person decides to link using this new option, do I need to do anything either here on this board or on my facebook page to make absolutely certain that that person's other facebook friends cannot see my facebook entries and thus, figure out who I am here and see my posts here? Doesn't it have something to do with that friend's settings on facebook, which we have no control over? If this is a possibility, just let me know so I can "un-friend" any members from here on my facebook page- not that I want to do that but I can't take the risk of a domino effect on facebook.
I believe that you are confusing this with a fb like button. We are only using the log in. If we had enabled fb like buttons here you may be able to see if any of your friends had clicked that same fb like button. It depends upon how it was set up. We don't want or need that info so we do not use that system. By using the fb connect you are just logging in, not fb liking anything. Honestly, if you're that concerned about it there is no reason to use it.

The first form wouldn't show up if you were already logged into Facebook.
Correct. The first form is if you are not already logged in to fb. The second form displays if you are already logged in. You cannot just click the button and connect unless you have previously agreed to use it through one of those screens.

DammitJanet

Ok, as a not really techy person I just asked my more techy son to log in here and then click the FB thingy up there and join his facebook to here and go through the whole thing so I could check the entire thing out.

Dont worry about it. You cannot follow anything from here to there or there to here unless you LIKE something on here or there and Im not even sure if that works with the like button here...it may only be the like button on there. Our posts dont come up there and there isnt even a place that shows up that CD is attached. I searched his entire profile. He tried to follow mine and couldnt. Now he can follow his account back to CD but his friends cant. I tried to follow him back to CD and couldnt. There is no link to CD on his profile page...not even under such things like who he works for, plays games on, political affiliation, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.