Facebook: help...stupid question, I'm sure.

I just did the whole facebook thing, soon difficult child will help me upload my picture. I have only have a few friends, why am I seeing all their conversations on my facebook page? Is that customary? I really don't want to all this! Should I just go back to never having a facebook? Am I too old for this?

keista

The HOME page is where you see ALL of your friends' activity. that is normal. The PROFILE page is where you will see stuff only you posted or a friend posted directly to your wall.

No, you're not to old, but it is what it is. I've got friends and family that signed up but are never on. It takes some getting used to and it's not for everyone.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
What keista said.

I'm 47 and I've been on it a few years now. It does take some getting used to. But no, you're not too old. lol

Finally my sister in law has joined. She's just learning to post. But we talked her into it because it's a really easy way for her to see new pics of family.

KTMom91

Since most of my friends do not live anywhere near me, I do not work full time, and I have an empty nest (most of the time), I spend a lot of time on FB. Probably more than I really should.

easy child showed me how to do a few things so I understand a little more how it works. Thanks keista, and everyone

Andy

I am 49 and loving Facebook! I have ALL my cousins, aunts, and uncle from my Mom's side on. I have both my kids (though difficult child is very seldom on his) and Diva's boyfriend. I have my Mom also. It has been a very cool tool for me to keep in contact with these long distance relatives. Makes it a lot easier to show our support for each other. I get little peeks into their lives and get to share the important parts that they choose to share letting me get to know them a tad better. We get to laugh together and at times cry together. The next best thing to being there for us.

You will enjoy using it to keep up on some of what your kids are up to. Diva doesn't post a whole lot but I am glad to have access to a tiny part of her world.

muttmeister

I'm 63 and have been on Facebook for awhile. You're definitely not too old.

I don't have a LOT of friends but I enjoy the ones I have and seeing what they're saying and what they've been up to. Give it a little time to get used to it. It's fun to connect with some friends and relatives you haven't been in touch with so much and also fun to see who crawls out of the woodwork to want to friend you. I also get stuff from my favorite TV shows, a couple of authors, the crane camera at the local wildlife sanctuary, stuff from a public garden I like to go to, etc. It's a great way to keep up with some of the things you are interested in.

Nancy

You can set your orefernces so that you do not see your friends conversations and only see when they post something to you

Nancy

donna723

Seeing what your friends have written is what is so much fun about it though! That's really the whole purpose of it.

I'm 65 and I love Facebook! There's tons of older people who are discovering Facebook. It's not just for kids. I've lived in Tennessee for 27 years now but most of my family is in Missouri, and friends from my younger years are all in Florida. It's hard to keep up with extended family and I lost track of so many old friends years ago, people I thought I'd never hear from again. And now, after just a few years on Facebook, I can keep up with almost all of my family, see their pictures, etc. I'm able to keep up with former co-workers since I retired. And now I'm reconnected with all my old high school friends and get to see what's gone on in their lives And now the old friends from when I was in my 20's are starting to come together and it's starting to snowball. And the more things you "Like" or follow, the more interesting it will become for you.

Oh no! I told difficult child something...our plans for the day...and I am pretty sure ALL my friended people can see it ALL, and so can THEIR friends....Is that right? Are a thousand people seeing me ask difficult child a dumb question???? I better watch what I say. Do you know what I mean?

donna723

If you posted it at the top of the page as your "status", then all of your friends can see it but their friends can't unless they're also on your list - a mutual friend. If you posted it on her wall, then all of your friends and all of her friends can see it. If you want something to be just between yourself and her then you can send it as a "message" and it will be private, or talk to her on "Chat" - that's one-on-one. If you post something, it doesn't snowball to friends of friends of friends ... but you have to remember not to post anything as your status or on someone's wall that you don't want anyone else to see because that part's not private.

And incidentally, I don't think it's a good idea to post on any public forum that you are are going on a trip, will be out of town, or away from home for any given time. I might be really paranoid but you never know who might be reading that and there are people who might see that as an invitation ... "Nobody will be home for a week so just come on in and take whatever you want!"

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...And you can always delete your posts. If you move your mouse over the post, a little "X" will show up in the upper right corner.

keista

In your settings, you can decide who sees what. There are options for no one, just friends, and friends of friends. If you posted directly to difficult child's wall, then all of their friends can see it. you can also go and delete it. Mouse over the question and an X shows up to the upper right.

Anything personal that you don't want anyone to see, send through messages.