Family of Origin (FOO) Support Thread Part 2

BusynMember

I feel more and more this way. I sometimes feel that I should not have turned away as I did, but the truth is I was excluded in every way that matters before I ever stopped granting them access to me.

In fact, my brother still has access to me but appears not to want it.
Oh, they didn't want me around. I was "the problem." So I wasn't around and my mother had little influence over me. Cedar, you can be disowned and still sit in the same room with somebody, you know?

Your brother did this because he sees without cheating. I say good for him.

BusynMember

Regarding the person who wrote the letter...if that was her position, a friend would have said so before she agreed to write a letter in your behalf. Given that you brought your boy up to be well-mannered and kind, managed his complex medical needs and bonded closely with him until his drug use began, I would say your friend was as wrong as could be.
Copa...this is NOT a friend. NO friend would not warn you in advance that she could not write a positive letter about you before she did it. This is some slimy lady with claws. She makes me mad and I don't even know her.

Copa, anyone who knows me would say I was emotional...lol. It's not a bad thing to have feelings and to show them. Why is this a bad thing?

Is this lady a robot?

What traits does she think you should have to be a good mother.

Copa, good mothers do not always get the best results with their kids. I read something important (as I said, I read A LOT!!!!) and it said that our kids become more dependent outside of our influence when they get older. Other things influence their choices...peers, drugs around them, drinking, the desire to be popular with their friends, tragedies and losses outside of what you as Mom could stop, what others outside of us (parents) tell our kids. It is foolish to think a child's only influence are his parents.

You were a caring, loving, involved mother. You can not control everything that your son came into contact with to make him who he is today. You are strong. You do not come across as anything but a strong survivor. At least not to me.

Copabanana

Son spits at us, to this day: "WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT F-ING BROCCOLI?!"
I can't find the rolling around on the floor smiley that you use. I had to find this inferior one which does not one bit represent me. I do not want to laugh anyway.:rofl: The crime of the broccoli. This is exactly the predicament we find ourselves in.

Actually this inferior looking smiley is the same as the other, just bigger. I still do not like him.
It is son's contention that, as is the case with so much of his life, though broccoli is what we provided, broccoli was not what he needed, to thrive.
So in the end, it is always this. The broccoli. Why did he not go to the store and exchange it for what he needed, like the rest of us did? That is your fault, too, that he cared not at all to take one step out of his way to make it right, to go to the market and exchange the gifted broccoli for another vegetable or foodstuff that would have served him better? Of course not. He needed to save the broccoli. To attack you and
D H, over and over again.
broccoli-gun.jpg

The guy in the background? The one who finally does Tony in?

That's me.
You killed me, Cedar. I was Scarface. It was me. When I am mad. I never ever knew that what I really needed all my life was a machine gun.

I have shot a handgun at targets. I loved it.

M looks a little like Al Pacino, the same size and body type, and their faces have similarity. M more conventionally yet idiosyncratically handsome, rugged and worn out by outdoors, work and life. Not as sexy, though, as Pacino.

Last edited:

Copabanana

It's not a bad thing to have feelings and to show them. Why is this a bad thing?

Is this lady a robot?
Thank you SWOT. I let go this person as a friend some time after. I met her when I was very young. I think I was about 26, she was 38 or so.

Her parents were very rich and influential in China; her Dad worked in the palace with the Emperor. The Chinese Revolution broke out when she was a young girl studying in the USA. Maybe 10 years old and alone. She never saw her parents again for more than 30 years. I think she suppressed all emotion.

She married, had children, worked, but I think her whole life she was like the walking dead. Lots of parties. Friendly, animated, charming. Lots of confidence, but dead emotionally.

She too loved to care for abused and neglected animals. We worked together. Once near the office we saw a stray in really bad shape. She became absolutely hysterical and out of control. I think she identified with the animals.

Some people never recover from their lives. OK. Maybe we don't either. But we try. That lady stuffed it.

I must say it did hurt at the time. But you learn from life and how others treat you.

BusynMember

Her parents were very rich and influential in China; her Dad worked in the palace with the Emperor. The Chinese Revolution broke out when she was a young girl studying in the USA. Maybe 10 years old and alone. She never saw her parents again for more than 30 years. I think she suppressed all emotion.
Goneboy's wife and family are very stoic. I wonder if it is cultural to be this way.

I totally can't imagine being friends with somebody I didn't enjoy and respect enough to write a positive-go-adopt letter about. I've written a few.

I'm glad you let her go. That isn't a friend.

BusynMember

She too loved to care for abused and neglected animals. We worked together. Once near the office we saw a stray in really bad shape. She became absolutely hysterical and out of control. I think she identified with the animals.
Sounds so contrary to her usual presentation that, by God, Copa, I think you GOT it!

The Rain in Spain too ;)

Copabanana

I was very stupid, SWOT. I did not understand how people could be. I needed her when I was young. She was good to me.

I attracted friends because I was very pretty, smart and interesting to be with. I had no understanding of what friendship should be.

I think she had no comprehension of what I became in time, as I matured. I wanted to have a full life. To become somebody. Like you did. She did not get it.

I do not think she wrote a bad letter. I saw it. It was just that if she was going to put anything negative, a friend would have told me to my face. But I do not think she had it in her to tell me to my face.

There were so many other people I could have asked to write a letter. You remember these things.

Copabanana

Sounds so contrary to her usual presentation that, by God, Copa, I think you GOT it!

The Rain in Spain too ;)
SWOT, just right now I got it. She saw in me what she tried to but could not totally control in herself. Her emotions. Except I had control over my emotions. Like I mean, I was not screaming and crying everywhere and all the time. I did not lose control.

I think it could be said that I had access to my emotions. Not to generalize, but like an Italian person or a Jewish person. I have always identified with the actress Anna Magnani. I do not look like her (well, a little bit), but I have always identified with her intensity of feeling. How she understands life through her feelings. What a great actress.

Not everybody likes that.

Last edited:

Copabanana

My mother so loved the Tall Ships, and the Lipizanner stallions.
I am struck by how formal she is, and how classic are your mother's tastes. Which gives me an idea.....

While my mother never mentioned an affinity for Mel Brooks, if I had to think of something that epitomized her personal style, even though she strived for lovely and lush in presentation, at heart she was vaudeville. Or travelling Yiddish theater.

Remember I said yesterday, Cedar, that had you not gone through this painful metamorphosis, when you were old you could well have become brittle and bitter.

I realized I must have channeled an image of your mother. Cedar, if the ballet and dinner parties had worked out, would you have become your mother....had you not so beautifully turned into yourself???? I mean classical and formal....could also be bitter and brittle....if considered from another vantage point.

Is your mother a Grace Kelly? Tippy Hedron? A Hitchcock Ice Maiden?

And I could have become my own...

And then I realized. All of this from yesterday's post is my mother. She never moved beyond it.

This is a personality type that I described. I was never called these words, (Once I was assigned the Thuja type in homeopathy. I think they do have some of these traits.) I just describe what I thought people thought of me. I must have picked up the outlines or the shadow of it, but not the substance...

My mother had nothing timid or fearful about her, except she was phobic about driving.

Exaggeratedly female. Hysterical they call it. Histrionic is another bad word that people would have thrown at me and they did. Overly emotional. Driven by emotions. Shallow. Inconstant.

... the kind of woman who is attention seeking, dramatic, focused on her appearance, attracting men. Maybe even a diva-type.

If I thought of a famous woman to epitomize my mother it would be Sophia Loren, except tiny, more refined. Coquettish instead of brash. Or Gina Lollabrigida.

Me, I want to be Anna Magnani or Anne Bancroft or Judy Holiday, my absolute favorite. I think my humor is very like her.

Cedar, I would love it if you went out to lunch with your mother, but only if you had a dash cam or something on your head. You could say it is hat. So that we could be there too. You could say, excuse me, Mom. And get back to us to read our posts, which you could read verbatim, as you chit chat.

Except D H would have to be in disguise at another table, ready to give aid or to denounce her...

We could have a reality TV show.

BusynMember

I think it could be said that I had access to my emotions. Not to generalize, but like an Italian person or a Jewish person. I have always identified with the actress Anna Magnani. I do not look like her (well, a little bit), but I have always identified with her intensity of feeling. How she understands life through her feelings. What a great actress.

Not everybody likes that.
Well, I enjoy animated people more than stoic people whom you can never figure out. But, hey, that's me ;)

Scent of Cedar *

Is this you, Cedar?

Oh, that's a beautiful picture, Copa!

:O)

That's very close to the color my hair used to be. I did look something like that, Copa. Not so fresh and innocent and beautiful as that. I will ask D H. Then, I will tell you what he says. (If he is still my D H after he says it.) Now I am 63 with lots of wrinkles and etc.

Thanks, Copa!

D H said: "It could be you but not really. But the similarity is there. The long reddish hair, the blue eyes, that perpetual smile. Where'd she get that picture, anyway?!?"

I will try to P.M. you a picture, Copa. I am not so good at those things, but I will try.

There was a time many years ago when I could not walk on the street because it felt like I was a streetwalker.

The streetwalker part is the feeling of "whore" I am always posting about. My mom is so deeply connected to my sexuality. Not that I have any sexuality.

Wait for it...

Ask D H!

The first thing that comes to mind is the misogyny, thick and black as tar, that permeates so many of our societies to this minute.

What little girl (or boy) raised in any of the three major religions has not learned that it was Eve's weakness to the Serpent's blandishments, and Eve's willful temptation of the hapless Adam, that caused the exile from the Garden? And that Eve's punishment would be the pain of childbirth?

So, there's that.

They do say though that in spite of those acidic belief systems roiling around down in our psyches, that a woman believes men see her in the way she believes they see her based on her father's response to her blossoming womanhood. My father was always...surprised, amazed, pleased with me. He carried my luggage. I drove to their house once and complained about the steering, and he just went out and replaced a hose or something. Things like that. He and D H had a great relationship. That infuriated my mom. Just like with Seeking's dad, when mine turned on me during that phone conversation when he asked whether there was anyone else there I wanted to talk to, I was...bereft.

That was the feel of that time, of that first separation.

Happy Hour here, everyone.

Cedar

BusynMember

There were so many other people I could have asked to write a letter.
We were verrrrrrrrrrrrrry careful to make sure close friends who we know were excited for us wrote the letters just because of fear of somebody saying something like that. I picked my two uber-close friend and another pretty close friend who had adopted two children from abroad.

Copa, some Asian cultures do not like other races adopting Asian children. I ran into this a few times with Princess more than Goneboy as Princess, being a little baby and so cute, attracted a lot of attention. A very common question to ask me was, "Are you going to teach her to speak Korean?" They tended to be critical.

I found much less hostility in the African-American community that we are white with dark skinned children. In general, they are very friendly to us and love on the kids, or they did when they were little.

I did not feel as at home when Asian women, in particular, approached me about my little girl. It almost seemed like they didn't understand why we would even adopt a child who was an orphan and a different race from us.

Funny, we never cared about the race of the children. In our home study, we said we had no preference.