favorite movie?

trinityroyal

*Star, you are perfectly right that the 13th Warrior has some great...um...scenery.

I have far too many favourite movies. Here's a short-list:

Singing in the Rain
Arsenic and Old Lace
all of the Beach Party movies with Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon
The Great Escape
Born Yesterday (the original with Judy Holliday and Broderick Crawford, not that terrible Don Johnson/Melanie Griffith remake)
Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus (I love the Charles Bronson role. I think it was his only non-tough-guy part in his entire career)
Star Trek (all of them -- TOS, TNG and the new ones)
all of the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies
The Apartment
It Happened One Night
:smile:

donna723

RAISING ARIZONA!!! Forgot about that one! It's totally off the wall but I love it! It's one of those that I've seen so many times, I know every word by heart but it still sends me in to giggle fits every time I see it! If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it! Hard to describe it without it sounding sinister, but it's not, it's a comedy. Nicholas Cage is a bumbling ex-convict who can't seem to stay out of trouble, and his wife (Holly Hunter) desperately wants a baby but it's not happening. A local businessman and his wife have quintuplets so, thinking they're doing them a favor, they decide to kidnap one of the babies and raise it as their own. He breaks in to their house and goes to the nursery to choose a baby. And the scene where he's trying to decide which baby he wants is one of the funniest things I've ever seen! It may not have been so funny if there was someone not quite as goofy as Nicholas Cage in it but this is true comedic genius!

DDD

Gone With The Wind and Guess Who's Coming For Dinner. I'm not "into" movies but there is one more that I watched multiple times but.....having a "Senior Moment" and can't remember WTH it is. DDD

PS: "The Help" left me teary eyed beyond belief. on the other hand, it is not the one I'm trying to think of this evening. "The Help", by the way, was my life as a youngster. I was the only kid in my upper class neighborhood who sat "in the back of the bus". The Driver would not drive a block until I moved up to the section for whites. Sigh. My Mother was mortified!

donna723

DDD, "The Help" really got to me too because I remember how it was in those days. The movie was no exaggeration. I kept imagining what would have happened in the little southern town I grew up in if this had occurred there.

DDD

Donna, lol, it's nice to have a senior friend here. I always look for your posts. Hugs DDD

DDD

OK, I'm headed to bed....but I cheated. I had to look up PAUL. for the sake of the censors I will not describe how many nights I had Paul in my dreams. :) Cat On A Hot Tin Roof and The Sting are awesome, LOL DDD

Dixies_fire

The help spoke to me because my parents and aunts and uncles were in Montgomery alabama during that time period and the whole fight for civil rights. There's where I'm from. I also loved the book.

trinityroyal

DDD, I'm with you. Paul Newman was...well...um...words fail me, but you get the idea. The reason that the tin roof was so darn hot?

I forgot one. Harvey, with Jimmy Stewart, and his best friend the invisible 6-foot-tall rabbit. Brilliant!

Having grown up in Canada, the divide between white and black people was not nearly so entrenched (although it did exist). I do remember being in a nightclub in New York once, with a "black people room" and a "white people room". Not official policy, but just where people gravitated, type of music, etc. I caused a stir by not only being the only black girl in the white people room, but by knowing all the words to all the songs. No one treated me badly, they were quite welcoming, just confused.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I caused a stir by not only being the only black girl in the white people room, but by knowing all the words to all the songs. No one treated me badly, they were quite welcoming, just confused.
That is one of the reasons I like this board so much. Color/creed/whatever is not an issue. I don't think of myself as white - in fact I rarely think of it at all - but I figure we are all the same color inside. OK, back to the movies...

BusynMember

I'm not much of a movie or TV buff, but I do have a few runner's up: I loved "Groundhog's Day" with Bill Murray. I loved the message and that it was filmed in my hometown at the time. I also LOVED the first Star Wars trilogy, and I'm NOT a sci-fi fan. But that's another three I've seen over and over again. I'm sorry the first three came out. In a way, they almost ruined the last three for me!

When movies are made from books, I have never yet found the movie better than the book. The book in my opinion is always superior. "Gone With the Wind" is a far better book than movie. The movie had to condense the entire story into four hours and while that's a LONG movie, the book was more detailed and far more hopeful :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
MWM, even when you have a miniseries, they always miss stuff. One of my favorite books is "The Thorn Birds" by Colleen McCullough - in fact that is where Inky got the spelling of her name and the doctor that delivered her was McCullough - the miniseries with Richard Chamberlain and Rachel Ward was great but missed SO much. Another is "North and South" by John Jakes. I wouldn't have read it except for (ahem) Patrick Swayze... Ahhhh... And then I read a bunch of Jakes' stuff.

Californiablonde

I agree, MidWestMom I have never found a movie to be better than the book. Another one of my favorite movies is Stephen King's The Green Mile, and even though I thought the acting was superb, the book was even better. The movie came close but the book was definitely superior. I love to read and I have always found the books to be better.

trinityroyal

Funny, that books-to-movies thing. I too find that the book is almost always better. With one exception.

I read The Name of The Rose by Umberto Eco, and then watched the movie. The movie was soooooo much better. The book was a long, rambling laundry list of random mediaeval stuff, but the movie turned it into a gripping murder mystery. Go figure.